• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 20's being driven cab first

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheITGuy

This is a random thought I had whilst thumbing through one of my railway books, with a photo showing a class 20 being driven cab first, as that afforded better visibility for the driver. Many photographs show the same method for class 20s. Given the cab layout is designed around being driven bonnet first, how does the driver comfortably drive the loco in this way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
This is a random thought I had whilst thumbing through one of my railway books, with a photo showing a class 20 being driven cab first, as that afforded better visibility for the driver. Many photographs show the same method for class 20s. Given the cab layout is designed around being driven bonnet first, how does the driver comfortably drive the loco in this way?
Are you sure about the layout?
From https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8332/8136742159_aa6ef709dc_b.jpg appears to show dual controls.
EDIT picture attached
1681805757650.png

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
So does one desk face forward and the other backwards?
No, they each face forward when they’re in use!
Each on the left-hand side for their direction of use. See the picture I gave a link to and it should be clear.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Quite the opposite, the 20 is designed for driving with the cabbed (no.2 end) leading, but the cab does feature dual controls. In fact in BR days I believe a secondman was required when driving 'nose first' to assist with signal sighting.

No, they each face forward when they’re in use!
Each on the left-hand side for their direction of use. See the picture I gave a link to and it should be clear.

By design, when one desk is in use driving forwards, the other will be facing backwards. At least it doesn't take long to change ends!

Spagnoletti

Quite the opposite, the 20 is designed for driving with the cabbed (no.2 end) leading, but the cab does feature dual controls. In fact in BR days I believe a secondman was required when driving 'nose first' to assist with signal sighting.

By design, when one desk is in use driving forwards, the other will be facing backwards. At least it doesn't take long to change ends!
Don't leave your brew in the wrong place though or it'll end up on the deck :D

TheITGuy

Thanks to everyone for their replies. @ JFollows - I didn't initially spot your photo of the interior of the cab and that what I meant by "So does one desk face forward and the other backwards?" - each control desk is facing in opposite directions. Mystery solved!

jfollows

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for their replies. @ JFollows - I didn't initially spot your photo of the interior of the cab and that what I meant by "So does one desk face forward and the other backwards?" - each control desk is facing in opposite directions. Mystery solved!
I updated it today with an actual picture but the link to the picture was there from the start. Anyway, good!

Taunton

Established Member
If I remember correctly from their first year of introduction, photos generally showed them single unit, and running long-nose-forward on both passenger and freight (and when lined up well polished to show dignitaries). Little driving difference to a steam loco of course. There must have been a subsequent decision to generally run them the other way round, and to have them run in nose-to-nose pairs so they always were cab-forward.

English Electric did a range of exports, eg to Australia, with the cab at the three-quarters position, and long and short noses, just like a USA road switcher or D8200/8400. There must have been some reason why they left the short nose off on this design.

fgwrich

Established Member
The seats swivel round, the far one in jfollows image would swivel 180' when the driver wanted to drive nose end (No 1 end) leading.
In theory at least, though I always found (and particularly with the DRS refurbished examples) that if the cab seat was set too far back for the taller driver, it somewhat prevented the door from being opened.

Not the most irritating quirk with EEs mind, that honour goes to the stupid positing of the horn lever in the Class 37s or the refurbished DRS Cabs with additional soundproofing - making a tight cab even smaller.

D365

Veteran Member
Not the most irritating quirk with EEs mind, that honour goes to the stupid positing of the horn lever in the Class 37s or the refurbished DRS Cabs with additional soundproofing - making a tight cab even smaller.
Very limited access to the pneumatic pipework, from what I can tell. And the driver feedback I've seen tends to be that the draught/soundproofing panels are preferred.

fgwrich

Established Member
Very limited access to the pneumatic pipework, from what I can tell. And the driver feedback I've seen tends to be that the draught/soundproofing panels are preferred.
Fair enough, it was always the additional door I found more annoying. But I was never a fan of 37s anyway, particularly when coupling with them.

(Or any loco with a large bonnet on the front in all honesty)

D365

Veteran Member
Fair enough, it was always the additional door I found more annoying. But I was never a fan of 37s anyway, particularly when coupling with them.

(Or any loco with a large bonnet on the front in all honesty)
Ah, I've not yet been on one with an additional door.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I don't want to create a new thread for this so i'll ask here.

In pairs Class 20s always travel cabs outer, but has anyone ever seen a pair operating with bonnets outer? I'm sure it must have happened at least once over their long careers though never seen photographic evidence!

pdeaves

Established Member

In pairs Class 20s always travel cabs outer, but has anyone ever seen a pair operating with bonnets outer? I'm sure it must have happened at least once over their long careers though never seen photographic evidence!
If the link works, there is a likely-looking working on https://railphotoprints.uk/p448560584 (third entry as I see it).

sprinterguy

Established Member
do class 20's even go bonnet leading anymore as they almost always run in pairs now?
Still happens very infrequently. The example in the photo linked below (not mine) is definitely an unplanned working, but the description suggests that it also occurred on Shakespeare Express ECS workings around the same time:

Here's an example, albeit away from the main line:

mumrar

Established Member
do class 20's even go bonnet leading anymore as they almost always run in pairs now?
Rarely, but it certainly can happen - I photographed this occurrence with fare paying passengers on board with the returning Shakespeare Express in July 2022.FB_IMG_1681906334371.jpg

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Don't leave your brew in the wrong place though or it'll end up on the deck :D
As Spagnoletti mentions, the controls for the both desks are connected mechanically under the floor. This means that when you open the power controller at the desk facing out of the big windscreens, the power controller on the "dummy desk" also moves, so you can get tapped in the shoulder, or worse you cup of tea knocked onto the floor. Not too bad a loco for freight work but the slab door on the second mans side didn't give much of a view. I believe Harry Needle modified one of his with a window cut into the door.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Like this...?

Attachments

• 20142_20007_Banbury_040221micro.jpg
    20142_20007_Banbury_040221micro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • 20007_20142_Banbury_040221micro.jpg
    20007_20142_Banbury_040221micro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

ANDREW_D_WEBB

why were they designed like that, with a thin cab one end and not with cabs both ends?
As well as cost saving they were built in an era when single cabbed locos (i.e steam) were the norm. Would a class 20 type layout meet current safety requirements if being introduced today? The class 18s have a central cab with much lower bonnet either side.

popeter45

As well as cost saving they were built in an era when single cabbed locos (i.e steam) were the norm. Would a class 20 type layout meet current safety requirements if being introduced today? The class 18s have a central cab with much lower bonnet either side.
the French seem to be looking at if its safe to use a Camera for one view for this TLI project to replace the X73500's so wonder if at some point we could see a class 20 form factor train in the fruture were for at least shunting/low speed they can get away with one cab?

D365

Veteran Member
so wonder if at some point we could see a class 20 form factor train in the fruture were for at least shunting/low speed they can get away with one cab?
Is that not the Class 18 as described above?

Status
Not open for further replies.