• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 221 for Grand Central

deep south

Nothing at all to do with Elon’s takeover or having to have an account - GC delete their service information tweets after they become irrelevant to those travelling.

Whilst it’s reasonable to question the motives behind it, it’s actually fairly salient advice for people dealing with realtime information in this way: the majority of Twitter/X users do so with a curated, rather than chronological, feed, and did even before this started to be pushed more than it was. ‘The 1045 is cancelled today’ is of no use to anyone when it’s the first thing in your feed but the today in question was four days ago.

If there is relevant, current information it will appear at the top of GC’s feed.
I generally agree with you, but for some weeks the GC feed was completely empty if you did not have a Twitter/X account. I reported this to them and after a couple of days the feed showed 5he current info where the most recent was from 2020.

There have been some cancellations in the last few days that didn't appear, and their regular daily "Hello, we are here untill xxpm" and "goodnight, we are back at xxpm" aren't showing to me at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Nothing at all to do with Elon’s takeover or having to have an account - GC delete their service information tweets after they become irrelevant to those travelling.
I thought the same as you, but having just checked - if I view the account from a browser where I'm not signed into Twitter, the most recent post is from 2020 confirming the Blackpool route would not go ahead. If you look when signed in, everything is there.

For some reason the pinned post and everything else post-2020 is invisible to those without an account.

chrome_2023-09-06_11-54-27.png

Attachments

• chrome_2023-09-06_11-55-10.png
    chrome_2023-09-06_11-55-10.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 139

andyjhatton

I thought the same as you, but having just checked - if I view the account from a browser where I'm not signed into Twitter, the most recent post is from 2020 confirming the Blackpool route would not go ahead. If you look when signed in, everything is there.

For some reason the pinned post and everything else post-2020 is invisible to those without an account.
This is a fairly recent change to Twitter / X policy.

Making it basically useless if you're not signed-in.

Davester50

This is a fairly recent change to Twitter / X policy.

Making it basically useless if you're not signed-in.
There's a lot of Facebook pages that businesses and organisations have that are the same.
No account, no access.

The first point of information should be the company website, not a third party media service.

tarq

Looks like there are 4 departures to London from Bradford again from tomorrow, do i take it that the 221s are fully cleared to Bradford?

krus_aragon

Established Member
There's a lot of Facebook pages that businesses and organisations have that are the same.
No account, no access.

The first point of information should be the company website, not a third party media service.
Especially when you consider that such an attitude is equivalent to "if you want to find out about our services, you'll have to agree to this other company's terms and conditions too".

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
If anyone is interested a video showing what it's like inside now a few changes not much.
The replacement of the reservation system to just being paper tickets feels like a big step back, hopefully the on train system will be used eventually (especially if they get more 221s).
Obviously getting the train into service is much more important than converting reservations into the Voyager's format.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The replacement of the reservation system to just being paper tickets feels like a big step back, hopefully the on train system will be used eventually (especially if they get more 221s).
Obviously getting the train into service is much more important than converting reservations into the Voyager's format.
It’s not a step back from anything as 180s don’t have electronic reservations either, which is the reason these are paper.

I know it's minor, but why have they stuck logos over the windows? Voyagers have tons of empty space on the bodysides.
Always funny how new/hiring-in TOCs vary with branding. Some are sloppy and leave the old TOC’s logo on, others rip it off but leave a blank space, others rip it off and replace with the new, and it seems some rip it off and shove some on the windows.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

Circumstantially it's possible that Voyager electronic seat reservations rely on some GPS or phone based system, which will be complex for G.C.. If they're on a journey starting at New St I've noticed that the reservation screens only change from blank after leaving and when the train reaches an open sky rather than the station roof with a poor signal. I've noticed it both on XC and WC.

GWVillager

If anyone is interested a video showing what it's like inside now a few changes not much.
Interesting, the orange and dark blue can probably pass as ‘GC enough’ to the casual observer (I just wish they’d get that great livery all over the sets!).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Interesting they have got seat reservations considering the different in seating layouts between a 180 & the voyager (unless it's been programmed into the seat reservation system that the voyager will run those particular services and seat layout maps updated).

Just to avoid the hassle of someone reserving a table seat to find themselves on an airline seat, or vice versa. Or even worse, reserve a seat which exists on a 180 but doesn't exist on a 221.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I hope the 221s are in full service soon, Grand Central is getting a reputation for cancellations and unreliability on Bradford services in recent months. They will be destroying their own market for travel if they aren't careful
I still think that the class 221's should be cleared for Mirfield, Brighouse, Halifax, Low Moor and Bradford if they aren't already. Faster the better, as I'm getting fed up of rocking up at Halifax or Brighouse and finding that its been cancelled.

Grand Central should simply keep three class 180 units (two in service and a spare) and scrap the rest, the parts from the scrapped units can be used to bodge the remaing three with the rest replaced by the class 221's. The 180's could then be pressed into service on the last two services out of Bradford.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I still think that the class 221's should be cleared for Mirfield, Brighouse, Halifax, Low Moor and Bradford if they aren't already. Faster the better, as I'm getting fed up of rocking up at Halifax or Brighouse and finding that its been cancelled.

Grand Central should simply keep three class 180 units (two in service and a spare) and scrap the rest, the parts from the scrapped units can be used to bodge the remaing three with the rest replaced by the class 221's. The 180's could then be pressed into service on the last two services out of Bradford.
It isn't really up to GC what happens to the 180s, outside of how they choose to use them. Even then, they'd probably need the consent of the owner to make any significant changes to maintenance regimes. Given that the units aren't wanted by anyone else, there's probably a fair bit of wiggle-room with how the units are used. It could well be the case that storing or scrapping the worst vehicles would improve reliability, but the best option to reduce failures might well be to get them all in decent order then modify the diagrams so that each of the units aren't worked so hard. GC now has the whole fleet (minus two in storage as mentioned below), so working each unit less hard may well prevent some of the breakdowns- especially with the 221s now available to bear some of the workload.

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
It isn't really up to GC what happens to the 180s, outside of how they choose to use them. Even then, they'd probably need the consent of the owner to make any significant changes to maintenance regimes. Given that the units aren't wanted by anyone else, there's probably a fair bit of wiggle-room with how the units are used. It could well be the case that storing or scrapping the worst vehicles would improve reliability, but the best option to reduce failures might well be to get them all in decent order then modify the diagrams so that each of the units aren't worked so hard. GC now has the whole fleet, so working each unit less hard may well prevent some of the breakdowns- especially with the 221s now available to bear some of the workload.
GC only has 12 - the other 2 are in storage at Ely, not being deemed as fit for service as the others

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
GC only has 12 - the other 2 are in storage at Ely, not being deemed as fit for service as the others
Thanks for the correction. If we assume (for the sake of argument) that the two in storage become spares donors in order to improve the reliability of the active dozen units, this could improve GC's performance overall. It's not as if there are lots of operators clamouring to take those two units on.

Halish Railway

Established Member
It looks like tomorrow’s 10:23 Bradford Interchange to London King’s Cross has been amended to start at Wakefield Kirkgate. I checked a few days ago and this service was showing as starting from Bradford, so it looks like the 221s haven’t been signed off to run to and from Bradford.

M1544

It looks like tomorrow’s 10:23 Bradford Interchange to London King’s Cross has been amended to start at Wakefield Kirkgate. I checked a few days ago and this service was showing as starting from Bradford, so it looks like the 221s haven’t been signed off to run to and from Bradford.
I believe it’s more that there isn’t enough crews that sign them yet to cycle them on full diagram's rather than them not being signed off on the route. (221s have already been to Bradford Interchange on proving runs).

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wonder if this coming Sunday the 1512 Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross & 1853 London Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange services will be a 221 (I believe those were mentioned on an earlier post) as it's a straight return trip, arriving into Bradford ECS from Crofton depot & returning ECS to Crofton. Or if it's voyager operated will they cut it short at Wakefield.

Although knowing GC it will end up getting cancelled and any passengers for that train put on the London train 50 minutes later (which I suspect won't be pleasant)

M1544

1A70 0846 Bradford Int to London Kx was formed of 221142 today throughout.

Attachments

• IMG_9005.jpeg
    IMG_9005.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 159

bspahh

Established Member
111 must not have made it in the end - that one and 110 were the only two of EMR’s lot GC were due to take on.
On the Anglian Angel tour last Saturday (September 9th), there were 180 109, 180 111 and 180 113.

M1544

1D93 1525 Kings Cross to Bradford Intc allocated 221142 throughout today.

Attachments

• IMG_9006.jpeg
    IMG_9006.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 59