• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 221 for Grand Central

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
However, if GC doesn't extend their lease, it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that the ROSCO will find someone else interested in taking them
With that someone else possibly being XC, if still requiring stock at that time.

With that someone else possibly being XC, if still requiring stock at that time.
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to take the risk with 180s, seeing as how any operator who have had them have had terrible luck (First, Hull Trains and now GC...)
To be honest I'd be entirely surprised if there was ANY future for them at all if they're withdrawn from GC, unless significant investment to fix the problems (Which begs the question of worth for nearly 20 year old trainfleets)

Anonymous10

Established Member
I'd be surprised if anyone wanted to take the risk with 180s, seeing as how any operator who have had them have had terrible luck (First, Hull Trains and now GC...)
To be honest I'd be entirely surprised if there was ANY future for them at all if they're withdrawn from GC, unless significant investment to fix the problems (Which begs the question of worth for nearly 20 year old trainfleets)
I suppose the best you could do with them is use the center cars in the class 175 fleet, given their slightly better reliability and hope the lower speed helps.

I suppose the best you could do with them is use the center cars in the class 175 fleet, given their slightly better reliability and hope the lower speed helps.
True, wasn't this discussed? I seem to recall someone explaining they had different systems in them, or maybe I'm getting confused between the 222s and 221/220s

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It is not GC’s decision “to send them for scrap”.
Indeed and for the avoidance of doubt, the vast majority of train operators lease their rolling stock from a leasing company - hitherto known as a Rosco.
So when the train operator stops using those trains they are handed back to the owner, who decides what to do with them.

spotify95

There's more chance of XC taking on more of the Vorager/Meridian fleet than there is XC taking on 180s.

In fact, there's more of a chance the 180s will be scrapped, than there is XC taking them on.

M1544

Both 221s allocated to be running services today on real-time trains, 221142 on 1D73 1456 KGX to BDI and 221143 on 1D81 1627 KGX to BDI.

sprinterguy

Established Member
That would be interesting, a 180 in preservation...

Not a long lifespan for them, then!
They're doing very well for such a small and notoriously unreliable fleet. There are a number of more successful modernisation plan-era locomotive and DMU classes that barely managed twenty years squadron service, and a number of unsuccessful ones that achieved far less.

M1544

Both 221s look to be out today, 221143 on 1456 to Bradford Intc, 211142 on 1627 to Bradford Intc

43102EMR

Established Member
Rail Advent saying that a refurbed GC 221 in a new livery is out and about and being advertised by GBBO winner John Whaite? Haven’t been able to find anything on YouTube bar this article. Any ideas?

On my phone so can’t paste the text of the link: https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2023/11/grand-central-introduces-voyager-trains-on-bradford-london-route.html?fbclid=IwAR2E5moUk_JhXM5YkHp94vreXntB5Vn8VYw-0xWv1ieHjGr3n2Gl4CEX2A0_aem_AeHW6PhI0ZhjihKjhE9p_zYauMBgFV08P__0oWlwOmhUzo5P-kP1axThmpA2nL9GDBY&amp
The fact they’ve used a 180 to highlight the livery isn’t very confident… :D

Still the same as highlight above - driving vehicles vinyled but coaches still in Virgin silver. Interiors untouched minus GC branding inside (though not really much needs to be done given Avanti refurbished them recently)

Bayum

Established Member
The fact they’ve used a 180 to highlight the livery isn’t very confident… :D

Still the same as highlight above - driving vehicles vinyled but coaches still in Virgin silver. Interiors untouched minus GC branding inside (though not really much needs to be done given Avanti refurbished them recently)
I did wonder. Just with the date of the article so recent and it mentioned two sets, I didn’t know if one had been refurbed whilst the other out and about.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Not a long lifespan for them, then!

Shinkansen often only go 15-20 years in service: mind you there is the Japanese climate and much higher speed to factor in, meaning they'll have covered several million kilometres by the time they are cut up.

spotify95

I think EMR even had a few cancellations when their services (select Nottingham services) were covered by 180s instead of 222s...

Given that any TOC would be barmy to take these on, I would suggest the only future for 180s are: preservation on a heritage railway that has enough track to take advantage of such a train (unlikely), or scrap at some scrapyard (highly likely).