• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ribbleman

No sign of a more frequent service yet then?
I think that was originally planned for December this year. Having all 5 units dedicated to the one route will make that possible, 4 in use and the other one spare, assuming staff are available.

Caaardiff

On a positive note the training runs and test runs seem to have gone well. No reports of any failures or issues so far.

DavidGrain

Established Member
A bit of a concern that it left Long Marston 39 minutes early and was 47 minutes late at Norton Junct. Am waiting to see a report at Worcester

Roger B

The 2021 P5 book shows 230006 - 230009 as having been accepted by TfW. Does anyone know the acceptance date for each of them, please? (Apols if this info has already appeared on tis thread). Many thanks

Bob Price

Had my wrists slapped for linking an article. So here is a summary:
Alex Fortune, TfW’s rail project sponsor for the north of Wales hosted a meeting of backbench councillors in Flintshire.
Key points:
  • Signalling is outdated with long block sections, needs sorting. Short sections = more trains.
  • Ultimate aim is to have four trains an hour directly into Liverpool.
  • December 2021 target to increase to two trains per hour
  • Journey time target is to reduce it to an hour.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yep, but specifically mentioned Liverpool not Bidston

Didn't read the extract as I thought I've seen this before so failed to read the Liverpool bit. I think it be no more than an ambition at the moment because the locals have been campaigning for ages. 230s would not be suitable.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Ok this is interesting. Ultimate plan is Wrexham to Liverpool four trains an hour.
Hinting that the current 50mph line speed is too slow. Not got a lot of wriggle room with their "brand new trains" have they.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Has anyone seen anything about the range of the Class 230s running on batteries. They will have to run on batteries through the Mersey tunnels.

6Gtraincrew

Has anyone seen anything about the range of the Class 230s running on batteries. They will have to run on batteries through the Mersey tunnels.
One of them did the full length of the line using just batteries on a test run a few weeks ago.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Hinting that the current 50mph line speed is too slow. Not got a lot of wriggle room with their "brand new trains" have they.
With an average of only 2.5 miles between stops, would anything above 60mph really make much difference? (Accepted some will have fewer stops.)

50 to 60 reduces the journey time by 12 secs per mile. 60 to 70 is only another 8.5 secs. And you get the benefit for a shorter distance too, as you have the time taken to get from 60 up to 70.

So as is always the case, the first part of an increase in speed gives much more benefit than further increases beyond that.

D365

Veteran Member
If the Wrexham to Liverpool via Bidston plan is serious, I'm sure a method of third rail operation could be worked out for the D-Trains ;)

krus_aragon

Established Member
If the Wrexham to Liverpool via Bidston plan is serious, I'm sure a method of third rail operation could be worked out for the D-Trains ;)
The received wisdom at franchise award was that the 230s were a cheap stop-gap to show there was a case for faster/more frequent services, before buying proper (new) units that would be suitable for the Liverpool loop. (e.g. a bi-mode add-on order to Merseyrail's new fleet.)

I suppose a third-rail trial on the 230s might be something Vivarail would be interested in pursuing with TfW, but they're old enough that they'll need replacing in the medium-term anyway.

D365

Veteran Member
The received wisdom at franchise award was that the 230s were a cheap stop-gap to show there was a case for faster/more frequent services, before buying proper (new) units that would be suitable for the Liverpool loop. (e.g. a bi-mode add-on order to Merseyrail's new fleet.)

I suppose a third-rail trial on the 230s might be something Vivarail would be interested in pursuing with TfW, but they're old enough that they'll need replacing in the medium-term anyway.
Absolutely agree, I'm just pointing out that it won't be a showstopper. Viva has experience with third rail; has been developing a third rail-based fast charging solution, and of course the 484s.

Ribbleman

They would not be permitted to run through the Liverpool Loop line as they carry diesel fuel, regarded as an unacceptable fire risk. Any future running through to Liverpool will require new stock, most likely battery equipped Class 777.

L401CJF

Established Member
They would not be permitted to run through the Liverpool Loop line as they carry diesel fuel, regarded as an unacceptable fire risk. Any future running through to Liverpool will require new stock, most likely battery equipped Class 777.
I assume the Network Rail 73s that do the measurement run every 4weeks from Derby are allowed to use the loop line as its done in the late night / early hours outside of service hours?

EDIT : Diesel fuel aside they still wouldn't be allowed to use the loop line as the 230s have no cab end emergency doors, so an evacuation couldn't be carried out in the narrow loop tunnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.