• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m amazed there’s still a need for thirty-six 321/322s. I certainly don’t see many pairs out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James321

The 321s no longer runs to Southend & 321s still run on mainline to Clacton, Ipswich, Colchester Town until April 2023?

Wivenswold

Established Member
Makes perfect sense to concentrate them somewhere, so that crews regularly work them. Are they still nominally allocated to Ilford?

delticdave

The 321s no longer runs to Southend & 321s still run on mainline to Clacton, Ipswich, Colchester Town until April 2023?
The Southminster branch see's some 321 workings. The Monday-Friday evg. from Liv.St to Southminster is usually a single 720, which stays on the branch, forming the last up train (through to Liv. St.). This displaces one of the early evening 321's which works in service to Shenfield. (The branch can only cope with 2 trains at once, single platforms
at each end & one passing loop at North Fambridge.)

CDM

Makes perfect sense to concentrate them somewhere, so that crews regularly work them. Are they still nominally allocated to Ilford?
GA fleet has only ever been allocated to NC (15x/170/IC and now the Stadlers) or IL (720's and all 'legacy' EMU stock) - they're the only fleet allocation locations.

Actual maintenance of the 321's is concentrated at CC, however.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Believe it or not The 0050 London Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria is a 4 Car 321. In order to provide a 321 ecs to Wickford in the morning. For a 321 to Work to Southminster to Wickford Shuttles all Day. Which is one of the 321s needed for the branch line shuttles during the day.
However the 321 is at Southend Victoria between 2am and 5 am most mornings.

Wivenswold

Established Member
GA fleet has only ever been allocated to NC (15x/170/IC and now the Stadlers) or IL (720's and all 'legacy' EMU stock) - they're the only fleet allocation locations.

Actual maintenance of the 321's is concentrated at CC, however.
Thanks for that. I didn't know whether IL had washed its hands off all non-Alstom stock. The wistful old duffer in me remembers the days when CC had its own allocation.

CDM

Thanks for that. I didn't know whether IL had washed its hands off all non-Alstom stock. The wistful old duffer in me remembers the days when CC had its own allocation.
Ah yes. That hasn't happened since it re-opened.
321's were a common fleet used all over the GE (not just on the Clacton line as the 309's were) so CC didn't have its own units. Every unit had some exams done at IL and some at CC (plus the technical office was at IL ).

Class360/1

I don’t suppose you have a screenshot from the Facebook group, with quote tags please?

Last edited:

rich78

Any idea what this is above the doors of one of the ex northern units. Never seen one before?

Not sure if the photo is attaching properly but it looks to be a yellow button above each set of doors separate from the emergency door release mechanism

Last edited:

Class360/1

Sorry but the attachment hasn’t worked
Any idea what this is above the doors of one of the ex northern units. Never seen one before?

Not sure if the photo is attaching properly but it looks to be a yellow button above each set of doors separate from the emergency door release mechanism.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Not sure if the photo is attaching properly but it looks to be a yellow button above each set of doors separate from the emergency door release mechanism
If what you’re seeing is internal above all doorways, could it possibly be passenger counting sensors? That’s the logical position for them.

DannyMich2018

Spares? For what !?

BTW, have the units from Gasgoigne Woods gone for scrap? Been very quiet on this front
No class 321s have gone for scrap for a long time. When the 321 withdrawals started in 2021 most went for scrap for a few months but then suddenly they stopped been scrapped and were then sent for storage at Gascoigne Wood, possibly mooted for battery or hydrogen conversions.

class321

Attachment doesnt work.
I havent seen any of those buttons.
What unit was it on?
Also I found that 322483 motor coach has no door alarm

dk1

Veteran Member
During the Tuesday heatwave I kept passing 321s on the GEML. They seemed to be out in force in 12-car formations.

_toommm_

Established Member
Spares? For what !?

BTW, have the units from Gasgoigne Woods gone for scrap? Been very quiet on this front

When I passed Gascoigne Wood Monday, I noted the following units. There were one or two hidden behind though:

321410 321431 321444 321408 321439 321443 321402

Avidfan

When I passed Gascoigne Wood Monday, I noted the following units. There were one or two hidden behind though:

321410 321431 321444 321408 321439 321443 321402
Of the 71 classic 321s, one went to the HMU development project in 2020, 29 went directly to scrap and 41 had dilapidation repairs before five went for Express freight and the rest to storage.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Of the 71 classic 321s, one went to the HMU development project in 2020, 29 went directly to scrap and 41 had dilapidation repairs before five went for Express freight and the rest to storage.

Thanks for that. From memory there were two 321s for the HMU project - one at Widnes and one at Thornaby, but I believe one was scrapped.

Avidfan

Thanks for that. From memory there were two 321s for the HMU project - one at Widnes and one at Thornaby, but I believe one was scrapped.
The Widnes one went from GA in 2020. Don't know about the other one, must have gone to Thornaby post redelivery from GA