• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 333 move to the Doncaster Leeds Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZCreaser

Hi all,
Just read that the plan for Northern is to eventually have the 333 fleet operate the Leeds - Doncaster run as the 331/1 fleet is going over to Allerton and the 331/0 fleet will operate the Leeds - Bradford/Skipton services. Can anyone spread some light on this? Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Broken70

I believe it was in the original plans and franchise however things may have changed along the way. 333s have and occasionally work the Doncaster currently.

Neptune

Established Member
December 2024 once the 6 car workings start on the Airedale/Wharfedale lines. Hopefully NwR will have all the platform lengthening complete by then.

Geeves

Established Member
Hi all,
Just read that the plan for Northern is to eventually have the 333 fleet operate the Leeds - Doncaster run as the 331/1 fleet is going over to Allerton and the 331/0 fleet will operate the Leeds - Bradford/Skipton services. Can anyone spread some light on this? Many thanks

I might be wrong after so many different unit plans but I believe both sides will have a mixture of 3 and 4 car 331s now?

Tractor37

I might be wrong after so many different unit plans but I believe both sides will have a mixture of 3 and 4 car 331s now?
In our notice case at work it states all 12 4 car 331’s are heading west of the hill and 12 3 car 331’s are heading east. From December 23 timetable, Leeds to Doncaster will be 3 car 331’s until December 24. The plan is once Doncaster men are all trained on the 333’s, from December 24 these will run Leeds to Doncaster and a mix of 333’s and 6 car 331’s around the Leeds Northwest triangle.

Neptune

Established Member
In our notice case at work it states all 12 4 car 331’s are heading west of the hill and 12 3 car 331’s are heading east. From December 23 timetable, Leeds to Doncaster will be 3 car 331’s until December 24. The plan is once Doncaster men are all trained on the 333’s, from December 24 these will run Leeds to Doncaster and a mix of 333’s and 6 car 331’s around the Leeds Northwest triangle.
Pretty much it apart from the number of 3 cars initially coming east which only has 9 diagrams including the maintenance unit.

Geeves

Established Member
Ahh Okay cheers for that gents. So its the west side getting 3 and 4 car 331s. Only 12 transfers to the east? Seems quite low, I am sure someone has a plan... maybe!

CAF397

The 331/1s I assume are like for like replacements for the 319s, and to replace the single 331/0 workings?

Geeves

Established Member
I think the 331 4 cars were going on to the Airport BPN work, releasing the 3 (reduced from 6) car 331s to pick up all the rest of the 319 work till such a time as the 323s arrive finally and release more 3 car 331s, presumably some more would go to the east side?

Neptune

Established Member
Ahh Okay cheers for that gents. So its the west side getting 3 and 4 car 331s. Only 12 transfers to the east? Seems quite low, I am sure someone has a plan... maybe!
No only 9 initially coming east as I mentioned up thread. The remainder will come over for Dec 2024 when 6 car working starts on the Leeds NW triangle.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
Hi all,
Any news on when the 331/1's are coming back over the Pennines and when the 331/0's go over vice versa?

Tractor37

Any news on when the 331/1's are coming back over the Pennines and when the 331/0's go over vice versa?
End of November. Think the date mentioned was somewhere around the 26th. I’ll check at work tomorrow - if the notice is still up.

Bantamzen

Established Member
So there's a risk that in the meantime 3 car 331s could end up on the peaks to/from Leeds up the Aire and Wharfe valleys. Oh joy, the 16:26 Leeds - Skipton today was cozy as a 333... :'(

xotGD

Established Member
So there's a risk that in the meantime 3 car 331s could end up on the peaks to/from Leeds up the Aire and Wharfe valleys. Oh joy, the 16:26 Leeds - Skipton today was cozy as a 333... :'(
Fewer seats will also mean fewer cheap Advances.

Neptune

Established Member
The 3 car 331’s are not booked to work any peak service into or out of Leeds. They will be concentrated on the much quieter Bradford services.

I too was on the 1626 tonight going up the valley to visit family after work and it wasn’t that bad in the 2nd coach from the back. I was in a bay of 4 with 2 other people and the only standees were volunteers rather than beingforced to stand as there were plenty of spare seats. Indeed the bay of 6 opposite me only had 3 in fully visible from the standees in the doorway.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The 3 car 331’s are not booked to work any peak service into or out of Leeds. They will be concentrated on the much quieter Bradford services.

I too was on the 1626 tonight going up the valley to visit family after work and it wasn’t that bad in the 2nd coach from the back. I was in a bay of 4 with 2 other people and the only standees were volunteers rather than beingforced to stand as there were plenty of spare seats. Indeed the bay of 6 opposite me only had 3 in fully visible from the standees in the doorway.
I was one forward and it was busier, although people do tend to make a beeline up the units at Leeds.

But let's be honest, whatever the intentions 331/0s will at some point find themselves on the peaks. Its a given, its Northern!!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I was one forward and it was busier, although people do tend to make a beeline up the units at Leeds.

But let's be honest, whatever the intentions 331/0s will at some point find themselves on the peaks. Its a given, its Northern!!
That's always the case regardless of operator though- the other day I had a very crowded 3 vice 6 on TPE. Whilst it's not ideal, a 3 vice 4 is preferable to a 0 vice 4. Sometimes trains break down. Half the time I hear people (not on here of course) moaning about "bl**dy Northern Rail" it's actually a TPE service that's let them down.

I feel like the 333s on the Donny line will be a big downgrade, if/when they arrive. No tables... 3+2 seating...

It would make the (occasional) 158s from Sheffield (that join at Fitzwilliam) look like luxury. Still can't beat the dire quality of the 150s!

Neptune

Established Member

Same with every operator but better 3 than 0 which is often the reason for a short form.
I feel like the 333s on the Donny line will be a big downgrade, if/when they arrive. No tables... 3+2 seating...
It is a commuter route with a journey time of 45 minutes. It’s not long ago that the route was operated by 321/322’s with 3+2 seating, no air con and less capacity.

Halish Railway

Established Member

It would make the (occasional) 158s from Sheffield (that join at Fitzwilliam) look like luxury. Still can't beat the dire quality of the 150s!
That can pretty much be said about the Airedale line, with Skipton to Leeds being the same journey time as Doncaster to Leeds, as well as some 158s on semi-fast services from Carlisle and Morecambe, although they’re not much quicker.

The Doncaster to Leeds services can get quite busy, especially on Saturdays, so the increase in seats from 284 to 360 may be appreciated at the cost of less comfort.

Harvey B

December 2024 once the 6 car workings start on the Airedale/Wharfedale lines. Hopefully NwR will have all the platform lengthening complete by then.
By that point all 16 333's should be fitted with TrainFX which means we'll never hear the rarely heard "Welcome To The Doncaster Train" announcements from Martin Oldfield. :(

As a Side note: is there anyway someone can get hold of the Martin oldfield "Doncaster Train" announcements

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In terms of 333 versus 331, the former are far more suited to the services they'll run than the latter. These are all stopping services of under an hour in length, full size tables are unnecessary (though cup tables at the bays and folding trays on the airline seats on 333s would be welcome). This is all the legacy of the abandoned "Northern Connect" services, which the new units were largely intended for.

Bantamzen

Established Member
That's always the case regardless of operator though- the other day I had a very crowded 3 vice 6 on TPE. Whilst it's not ideal, a 3 vice 4 is preferable to a 0 vice 4. Sometimes trains break down. Half the time I hear people (not on here of course) moaning about "bl**dy Northern Rail" it's actually a TPE service that's let them down.
I don't disagree, but its really not going to help perception of the direction of travel is going on the railways in this region. The triangle routes have already seen cuts on some services, and realability seems to be falling. Bringing the 331/0s should be going hand-in-hand with the longer platforms not reducing capacity for at least a year. I don't doubt this will become a topic of discussion in local media when people suddenly find the 4 car units the used to have to squeeze onto become 3 cars that they have to fight for a space.

Neptune

Established Member
The 3 car diagrams have been planned around the quieter services, principally those around Bradford. Upon commencement of the timetable the 3 car services will be looked at carefully to make sure there is no regular overcrowding issues on these services. Passenger loadings on Bradford services through the day have rarely justified a 3 car train never mind 4 and peak services only just justify a 3 car set. 4 car has always been a happy circumstance thanks to the connection to the far busier Leeds services. That on the day a 3 car may have to replace a 4 car to protect the service rather than cancel a train is a risk but the lesser of 2 evils. It won’t be a regular thing as seems to be suggested as the 331’s and 333’s are currently very rarely seen to stray off their booked diagrams except in exceptional circumstances, no reason why this would change.

Remember that before Covid 6 car operation along with the associated platform lengthening was always the plan but sadly the circumstances changed as with all things and these co-ordinated projects had to be deferred as the nation closed down and bled itself dry of money. Once the plans were brought back the previous co-ordination of the project between the companies has unfortunately been skewed by a year maximum meaning that 3 car trains will have to run temporarily whilst the platforms are lengthened.

It’s very sad that so many people on here always seem to look at the short term picture and apply maximum negativity to this rather than looking at the long term plan which includes higher capacity and a fully restored half hourly service on all routes.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The 3 car diagrams have been planned around the quieter services, principally those around Bradford. Upon commencement of the timetable the 3 car services will be looked at carefully to make sure there is no regular overcrowding issues on these services. Passenger loadings on Bradford services through the day have rarely justified a 3 car train never mind 4 and peak services only just justify a 3 car set. 4 car has always been a happy circumstance thanks to the connection to the far busier Leeds services. That on the day a 3 car may have to replace a 4 car to protect the service rather than cancel a train is a risk but the lesser of 2 evils. It won’t be a regular thing as seems to be suggested as the 331’s and 333’s are currently very rarely seen to stray off their booked diagrams except in exceptional circumstances, no reason why this would change.
Oh I don't doubt that the 3 car services are planned around the Bradford services. But in operational reality we know that they will at some point end up on the busy Leeds peaks.

Remember that before Covid 6 car operation along with the associated platform lengthening was always the plan but sadly the circumstances changed as with all things and these co-ordinated projects had to be deferred as the nation closed down and bled itself dry of money. Once the plans were brought back the previous co-ordination of the project between the companies has unfortunately been skewed by a year maximum meaning that 3 car trains will have to run temporarily whilst the platforms are lengthened.
Honestly, I like a lot of others are sick and tired of hearing about the covid excuses. They've been used for all sorts of reasons that are long out of date. The platform lengthening could have been kept in schedule regardless of the delivery timescales of the 331/0s. But like most things on the rails these days, if something can be kicked down the road it almost certainly will be, even if it subsequently causes more problems.

It’s very sad that so many people on here always seem to look at the short term picture and apply maximum negativity to this rather than looking at the long term plan which includes higher capacity and a fully restored half hourly service on all routes. The short term is planned to be as painless as possible to allow for a better future on all the electric routes out of Leeds.
And why do you think people have these views? Because of what they see in front of them. Just taking the West Yorkshire region as a whole for a moment, we've lost HS2, TRU is many years away, NPR is a carrot occasionally dangled in front of us, TPE has been a running joke and disaster, Northern services have been cut between around the region. LNER's uptick in London services to Bradford haven't emerged, GC have been having to cancel many of their KXs too, there's been over a year of strikes and uncertainty, and reliability feels like it gets worse month on month. And in a few weeks the triangle route will see less capacity, with a risk of that reduction leaking onto the busiest services. The travelling public won't be aware of it yet, but get ready for lots more upset when it does.

Think about it, telling them that hopefully 12 months further down the road 6 cars might finally arrive won't cut it with a public sick and tired of an ever-worsening service. And you can take it from me as someone who is a supporter of the principle of railways (if not the current application of), if there was anything like a reliable bus alternative down the Aire valley to Leeds I personally would have switched months ago.

In performance terms 331s are much better than 333s. The former accelerate much better and manage to offset the often long dwells on the Airedale Line whereas time lost with a 333 seems to stay lost.

Does anyone know which stations are getting platform are being lengthening? There was a time it was all planned to be selective door opening?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Details on Network Rail's site:

• Menston – 24 July 2023 to 11 October 2023
  • Burley In Wharfedale – 25 July 2023 to 24 October 2023
  • Guiseley – 7 October 2023 to 21 November 2023
  • Bingley – 7 October 2023 to 23 December 2023
  • Shipley – 24 August 2023 to 26 February 2024
  • Kirkstall Forge – 9 November 2023 to 26 February 2024
  • Apperley Bridge – 7 December 2023 to 22 March 2024
  • Saltaire – 17 February 2024 to 5 July 2024

Neptune

Established Member
Oh I don't doubt that the 3 car services are planned around the Bradford services. But in operational reality we know that they will at some point end up on the busy Leeds peaks.
Never said it won’t happen but you seem to be intimating that this will be a regular thing. I’m sure if the service was just cancelled you’d be fuming that they couldn’t just put a 3 car on instead as it’s better than nothing. As usual, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Honestly, I like a lot of others are sick and tired of hearing about the covid excuses. They've been used for all sorts of reasons that are long out of date. The platform lengthening could have been kept in schedule regardless of the delivery timescales of the 331/0s. But like most things on the rails these days, if something can be kicked down the road it almost certainly will be, even if it subsequently causes more problems.
Is your memory so short that you don’t remember that the country was effectively shut down for the best part of a year including construction projects? I am the last person to drag out Covid as an excuse but if it is the reason why something (like many things) was deferred then I shall use it. Get over it, it happened and had lingering effects however much you may wish to deny it. Look around you, the world has changed and one of the main things is travel patterns of commuters which you seem to be most concerned about.

Let me allay your fears as you seem to have forgotten what travel was like pre March 2020.

This project was absolutely vital peak infrastructure pre-covid but it is not post covid.

Take the 2H54 1626 Leeds - Skipton that we both caught last night. Pre covid it was absolutely full and standing cab to cab on departure from Leeds. Now (and it is a regular of mine on my weekly post work trip back to see family) it is never close to full as I witnessed yet again last night (I travel on this service on Tues, Weds or Thurs which are the busiest days, and when I do use it on a Friday it is sparsely populated). 6 car operation will make the trains roomier but they are running nowhere near as busy as the 0730-0900 Leeds arrival and 1600-1800 Leeds departure crush loading we saw on the NW triangle of yesteryear.
And why do you think people have these views? Because of what they see in front of them. Just taking the West Yorkshire region as a whole for a moment,
I moved out of Airedale last year to rural North Yorkshire where I drive to a railhead for my hourly service to work. Yes I chose to move there (mainly due to lower crime rates and my retirement plans) but I see the public transport network round here and can tell you that West Yorkshire is doing very well in comparison.
we've lost HS2,
Thanks to the government, not the railway companies.
TRU is many years away,
As it always was due to be.
NPR is a carrot occasionally dangled in front of us,
More government pedalled rubbish to pacify gullible people into voting for them.
TPE has been a running joke and disaster,
Can’t argue with that but it is on a slow road to recovery and is much more reliable than 6 months ago (my commute bears witness to that).
Northern services have been cut between around the region.
If this means service cuts then yes it has but it is also on the road to recovery. Hudds - Wakefield and beyond is back under TPE from December (should have been May for TPE). The few cut triangle services (and it’s nowhere near as many as people seem to intimate, just a few from the quietest time of day on the Bradford services and there’s been no issues with this apart from a few people on here) will be back in December 2024 (as mentioned before).

Peak extras across the network have been cut as we just don’t need them anymore thanks to lower commuter numbers. What else has gone?
LNER's uptick in London services to Bradford haven't emerged,
How much are they actually needed (figures etc). When GNER used to run a lunchtime service it was more or less empty Leeds - Bradford and return which is why it was cut.
GC have been having to cancel many of their KXs too,
Unit issues which the additional units acquired should solve.
there's been over a year of strikes and uncertainty
Nationwide, not unique to West Yorkshire.
, and reliability feels like it gets worse month on month.
Feels? Or actually is (figures etc)
And in a few weeks the triangle route will see less capacity, with a risk of that reduction leaking onto the busiest services. The travelling public won't be aware of it yet, but get ready for lots more upset when it does.
You aren’t listening to what I’ve said on this so absolutely no point trying any further. You’ve decided it’s worse before it’s actually happened. That is exactly what I’ve been getting at.
Think about it, telling them that hopefully 12 months further down the road 6 cars might finally arrive won't cut it with a public sick and tired of an ever-worsening service. And you can take it from me as someone who is a supporter of the principle of railways (if not the current application of), if there was anything like a reliable bus alternative down the Aire valley to Leeds I personally would have switched months ago.
I’m not an apologist for the railways as you may be thinking here. I’m not stupid enough to think that this is ideal. And I’m going to use covid here so please don’t shut off.

Had it not happened and the country hadn’t have locked down and had restrictions for 2 years then this project would have happened back then and you’d have full 6 car trains on the Aire/Wharfe with 4 car trains on the all day half hourly Bradford’s.

But it did happen and the fall out from that has considerably disrupted the world (not just your little bubble). Almost every industry has suffered from the fallout and we are where we are making the best of what scraps we’re being thrown post recovery.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the government is squeezing this industry (and others) for every penny. I’ve worked harder than ever post covid because we’re asked to save money at every stroke of a keyboard. Is it ideal, no, I want to plan for the best railway network possible and I can’t. Is it necessary, sadly yes otherwise I’d be out of a job. So there has to be a compromise to get the best out of the tools we’ve got. I’m sure most people are in the same boat as me in all sorts of industries but when someone doesn’t like one of those workable compromises that is actually short term and leading to something better (in the same way entire routes have to close during electrification works) then they’re ’sick and tired of covid being used as an excuse’ like they forgot just how bloody disruptive it was to life.

No, covid shouldn’t be used as an excuse for things not to happen anymore but it doesn’t change the fact that sadly it is a very common reason why things have changed, been deferred and even cancelled (and lest we forget how many people this ‘excuse’ actually killed which seems to be easily forgotten just 3 years on).

I know you won’t appreciate me taking time to reply to you on each point and giving an explanation on the issues you raise and will no doubt act like you haven’t read it and throw exactly the same things back at me despite the explanation but I’m sure that secretly you’ll get it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Never said it won’t happen but you seem to be intimating that this will be a regular thing. I’m sure if the service was just cancelled you’d be fuming that they couldn’t just put a 3 car on instead as it’s better than nothing. As usual, damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Is your memory so short that you don’t remember that the country was effectively shut down for the best part of a year including construction projects? I am the last person to drag out Covid as an excuse but if it is the reason why something (like many things) was deferred then I shall use it. Get over it, it happened and had lingering effects however much you may wish to deny it. Look around you, the world has changed and one of the main things is travel patterns of commuters which you seem to be most concerned about.

Let me allay your fears as you seem to have forgotten what travel was like pre March 2020.

This project was absolutely vital peak infrastructure pre-covid but it is not post covid.

Take the 2H54 1626 Leeds - Skipton that we both caught last night. Pre covid it was absolutely full and standing cab to cab on departure from Leeds. Now (and it is a regular of mine on my weekly post work trip back to see family) it is never close to full as I witnessed yet again last night (I travel on this service on Tues, Weds or Thurs which are the busiest days, and when I do use it on a Friday it is sparsely populated). 6 car operation will make the trains roomier but they are running nowhere near as busy as the 0730-0900 Leeds arrival and 1600-1800 Leeds departure crush loading we saw on the NW triangle of yesteryear.

I moved out of Airedale last year to rural North Yorkshire where I drive to a railhead for my hourly service to work. Yes I chose to move there (mainly due to lower crime rates and my retirement plans) but I see the public transport network round here and can tell you that West Yorkshire is doing very well in comparison.

Thanks to the government, not the railway companies.

As it always was due to be.

More government pedalled rubbish to pacify gullible people into voting for them.

Can’t argue with that but it is on a slow road to recovery and is much more reliable than 6 months ago (my commute bears witness to that).

If this means service cuts then yes it has but it is also on the road to recovery. Hudds - Wakefield and beyond is back under TPE from December (should have been May for TPE). The few cut triangle services (and it’s nowhere near as many as people seem to intimate, just a few from the quietest time of day on the Bradford services and there’s been no issues with this apart from a few people on here) will be back in December 2024 (as mentioned before).

Peak extras across the network have been cut as we just don’t need them anymore thanks to lower commuter numbers. What else has gone?

How much are they actually needed (figures etc). When GNER used to run a lunchtime service it was more or less empty Leeds - Bradford and return which is why it was cut.

Unit issues which the additional units acquired should solve.

Nationwide, not unique to West Yorkshire.

Feels? Or actually is (figures etc)

You aren’t listening to what I’ve said on this so absolutely no point trying any further. You’ve decided it’s worse before it’s actually happened. That is exactly what I’ve been getting at.

I’m not an apologist for the railways as you may be thinking here. I’m not stupid enough to think that this is ideal. And I’m going to use covid here so please don’t shut off.

Had it not happened and the country hadn’t have locked down and had restrictions for 2 years then this project would have happened back then and you’d have full 6 car trains on the Aire/Wharfe with 4 car trains on the all day half hourly Bradford’s.

But it did happen and the fall out from that has considerably disrupted the world (not just your little bubble). Almost every industry has suffered from the fallout and we are where we are making the best of what scraps we’re being thrown post recovery.

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the government is squeezing this industry (and others) for every penny. I’ve worked harder than ever post covid because we’re asked to save money at every stroke of a keyboard. Is it ideal, no, I want to plan for the best railway network possible and I can’t. Is it necessary, sadly yes otherwise I’d be out of a job. So there has to be a compromise to get the best out of the tools we’ve got. I’m sure most people are in the same boat as me in all sorts of industries but when someone doesn’t like one of those workable compromises that is actually short term and leading to something better (in the same way entire routes have to close during electrification works) then they’re ’sick and tired of covid being used as an excuse’ like they forgot just how bloody disruptive it was to life.

No, covid shouldn’t be used as an excuse for things not to happen anymore but it doesn’t change the fact that sadly it is a very common reason why things have changed, been deferred and even cancelled (and lest we forget how many people this ‘excuse’ actually killed which seems to be easily forgotten just 3 years on).

I know you won’t appreciate me taking time to reply to you on each point and giving an explanation on the issues you raise and will no doubt act like you haven’t read it and throw exactly the same things back at me despite the explanation but I’m sure that secretly you’ll get it.
Thank you for your detailed response.

However in all of this you forgot one thing that I said, allow me to remind you:

I don't disagree, but its really not going to help perception of the direction of travel is going on the railways in this region. The triangle routes have already seen cuts on some services, and realability seems to be falling. Bringing the 331/0s should be going hand-in-hand with the longer platforms not reducing capacity for at least a year. I don't doubt this will become a topic of discussion in local media when people suddenly find the 4 car units the used to have to squeeze onto become 3 cars that they have to fight for a space.
Which is why I highlighted all those points because I'm sure you will be more than aware that there is not a great perception of the railways amongst the great unwashed, and a capacity reduction will potentially be one more negative against the industry. I'm sorry if this makes you angry but there we go.

As for the covid related-stuff, by and large the most of the major restrictions were gone by Spring 2021, but there were plenty of circumstances where external works (and certainly did on the roads in my area) could have started much sooner. But if work had to be put back by years, why couldn't the swap between the 331/1s & 331/0s also be pushed back?

Status
Not open for further replies.