• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
345020 appears to have been in service on Monday which completes the set of west side 7-cars back into service (although I think conversion was some time ago and it clearly may have already been used in service).
1619565358300.png
[Picture shows a screen shot of output from TrackIt! with headcode '5I20' reported cancelled at berth C313 having returned from Paddington on 5Y27 2332 London Paddington to Old Oak Depot around 2337 on 26 April]

Current occupants of Plumstead appear to be 345025, 345049, 345050 and 345053 if the headcodes there are to be believed.

1619566012112.png
[Picture shows screenshot of Plumstead sidings from signalmaps with headcodes 5Y53, 5Y50, 5Y25 and 5Y49 in the siding berths]

Finally, there is a move from Old Dalby to Old Oak Depot with paths in for later today.

1000 Old Dalby to Old Oak Depot
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K04744/2021-04-28/detailed

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I assume that this is overnight testing of the 9-car 345 from Gidea Park C.H.S. with a view to proving operation before the timetable change. Similar moves on other nights.

1620257274517.png
[Picture shows screenshot from RTT of overnight STP Crossrail workings on the night of 5 / 6 May]

There is a move from Old Oak Depot to Gidea Park (and one coming back) timetabled for Thursday - unit 3 as the move last week didn't happen.

0959 Old Oak Depot to Gidea Park C.H.S.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K04771/2021-05-06/detailed

1453 Gidea Park C.H.S. to Old Oak Depot
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00016/2021-05-06/detailed

It looks like the locomotive stays at Wembley on Thursday night as on Friday evening, there is a unit to be dragged to Hayes & Harlington Loop for overnight testing on the Heathrow branch.

2242 Old Oak Depot to Hayes & Harlington Loop
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K03765/2021-05-07/detailed

EDIT : move to Gidea Park seemingly cancelled again as the locomotive move hasn't happened.

Last edited:

Gulf1159

Trial running in the central section will commence tomorrow Monday 10 May. Initially 4 tph increasing to 12 tph in approximately 6 weeks time

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
5U07, 5U10 and 5U13 have all run as intended into the tunnels from Old Oak this morning. The equivalent 9Uxx services have all started too.

Also a move direct from Gidea Park to Old Oak Depot and vice versa without the need for a drag around the North London Line.

5Y52 1024 Gidea Park C.H.S. to Old Oak Depot
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F48801/2021-05-10/detailed

5C88 1218 Old Oak Depot to Gidea Park C.H.S.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F25380/2021-05-10/detailed

Gulf1159

Also a move direct from Gidea Park to Old Oak Depot and vice versa without the need for a drag around the North London Line.

5Y52 1024 Gidea Park C.H.S. to Old Oak Depot
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F48801/2021-05-10/detailed

5C88 1218 Old Oak Depot to Gidea Park C.H.S.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F25380/2021-05-10/detailed

Only 9 cars can move through the core. 7 cars still need to be towed because they don’t have compatible software installed

JonathanH

Veteran Member

iphone76

Unfortunately both 5C86 and 5C88 don't appear to have made it through to Gidea Park.

Seems like everything came to a stand for about 40/50 minutes earlier and these two were diverted towards Custom House and then back towards Old Oak.

robert west

Unfortunately both 5C86 and 5C88 don't appear to have made it through to Gidea Park.

Seems like everything came to a stand for about 40/50 minutes earlier and these two were diverted towards Custom House and then back towards Old Oak.
5c86 just arrived stratford 42 mins late

rebmcr

Established Member
Seems like the CBTC -> TPWS switchover at Pudding Mill Lane might need some bedding-in?

I can't recall many (if any) reports of testing that particular location's transition; does anyone have detail on how many movements have ever taken place between Stratford and the COS? The most recent I am aware of was the slew of weekend possessions in 2018/19, which of course involved very old software versions compared to the current 9-car ETCS installations.

Chilternblue

Units 025,044,069,036,024 and 020,are on the tunnel test trains does anyone know the unit numbers of the four units in plumstead sidings. Many thanks in advance

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Units 025,044,069,036,024 and 020,are on the tunnel test trains does anyone know the unit numbers of the four units in plumstead sidings. Many thanks in advance
*Maybe* 345053, 345032, 345050 and 345049 as implied by previous interpretation of reports from open data but I could be wrong. I don't think any of them have returned to Old Oak Depot yet. Surprised a little that the units on the trial running have all come from Old Oak Depot each day rather than some from Plumstead.

Snow1964

Established Member
The Latest TfL Board Programmes Investment Committee papers gives following update on page 43

Stratford to Shenfield
Seven-car Class 345 trains continue to operate on this service. For Stage 4a (from May 2021), seven-car services on this route will be augmented with nine-car Class 345 trains (replacing a number of TfL Rail Class 315 trains). Full transition of the Stratford to Shenfield service to nine-car services will take place from September 2021

Therefore the initial use of some 9car trains in East is to replace class 315s. But rest of Shenfield route appears to be staying 7car until at least September

Last edited:

kevin_roche

With the London Mayoral and Assembly elections complete, TfL has been able to publish the latest updates on Crossrail progress from Mark Wild. There are therefore two new update letters available.

On 28 March 2021, the Great Western Main Line transition was commissioned. Crossrail infrastructure is now connected to the Great Western for test trains across that route. The first System Testing with a train session was undertaken with six runs completed.

The 9 car Full Length Units (FLU) introduced in December 2020 to the Reading route continued to drive the expected Class 345 fleet reliability improvements during Period 12. This is due to new software significantly reducing the number of ETCS (signalling) related service affecting defects. The next reliability improving software, including further improvements in ETCS performance, is now being rolled out across the fleet.

The Class 345 nine-car Full Length Units (FLU) operating the Reading and Heathrow services have continued to grow in reliability in the period. Although the signalli ng (ETCS) related defects have significantly reduced, in line with the prediction for the new train control softw are, a number of electrical and mechanical defects have depressed the growth rate, and this is being investigated.
The platform extensions at Liverpool Street mainline station w ere completed during the Easter b lockade and the first fu ll -length train was transferred from Old Oak Common Depot to the Liverpool Street-Shenfield route to conduct operational provi ng. The completion of the engineering work ensures that the eastern route is ready for the introduction of the full - length t r ains into passenger service at the start of the next t imetable change later this month.

The Jacobs report for period 12 is also available on the TfL Web site.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/project-representative-periodic-report-period-12-2020.pdf

FLUs operating on the GWML are being loaded with the software configuration that provides sufficient reliability to operate to both Heathrow and Reading. RfLI can now operate a 4 TPH service to Heathrow, but is choosing not to do so whileairport passenger demand is impacted by Covid-19.

Stage 4A timetable will be implemented in [Redacted], although the original objective of starting service solely with FLUs will not be met. There is a reasonable risk that FLUs will not be available at the start of timetable change, due to necessary software configuration availability. The initial limited 4 FLU service is expected to rapidly increase to a full fleet after the August 2021 Blockade.

Last edited:

alanc

345046 was mentioned up thread as being at OOC.
I believe that I saw it today out on 5G78/79. OOC to Reading and back.
Happy to be corrected
Alan

Gulf1159

5C86 and 5C88 all this week have gone to custom house to reverse back to whitechapel on the west bound line to continue to Stratford via the west bound line due to a line block between stepney green junction and pudding mill lane

Seems like the CBTC -> TPWS switchover at Pudding Mill Lane might need some bedding-in?

I can't recall many (if any) reports of testing that particular location's transition; does anyone have detail on how many movements have ever taken place between Stratford and the COS? The most recent I am aware of was the slew of weekend possessions in 2018/19, which of course involved very old software versions compared to the current 9-car ETCS installations.
there have been many transitions between Stratford and the COS. Mainly of a weekend and nights. I pass the puddling mill lane portal frequently and the rails are always shiny

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
5C86 and 5C88 all this week have gone to custom house to reverse back to whitechapel on the west bound line to continue to Stratford via the west bound line due to a line block between stepney green junction and pudding mill lane
Curious that they're not using the perfectly-placed facing points just west of Whitechapel Low Level.

simple simon

Trial running in the central section will commence tomorrow Monday 10 May. Initially 4 tph increasing to 12 tph in approximately 6 weeks time

I visited Custom House station with the hope of seeing trial running in progress on Friday afternoon 14th May.

As I arrived I saw a westbound train running wrong road arriving, after a short while (station stop dwell) it departed and went underground. About 40 minutes later I saw another westbound train at the station, this time it was on the correct track. This train stayed there, which worked out to my benefit when an eastbound DLR train came on the scene. See tweet below for a photo!

Despite being there for about 50 minutes in total I did not see any other Crossrail trains.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I visited Custom House with the hope of seeing trial running in progress on Friday afternoon 14th May.

As I arrived I saw a westbound train running wrong road arriving, after a short while (station stop dwell) it departed and went underground. About 40 minutes later I saw another westbound train at the station, this time it was on the correct track. This train stayed there, which worked out to my benefit when an eastbound DLR train came on the scene. See tweet below for a photo!

Friday doesn't appear to have been trial running as such. It appears that different testing was underway. 345037 and 345041 went into the tunnel from Old Oak Depot just after 6am and returned around lunchtime. Then, later it appears that there was something more closely resembling what happened earlier in the week but still not timetabled.

Friday's operations are different (ie not timetabled in open data) to those on Saturday to Thursday (timetabled as if the public service was running).

Status
Not open for further replies.