• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 at Longsight Depot in Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

railnut21

Does anyone know why there is a class 365 sitting inside the shed at Longsight Depot? Just wandering as I thought they were all going to warm storage/Scrap now

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
There is another thread on here some where about this.
However for ERTMS testing and fitting ie European remote train modular signalling.
Believe its 365525

D365

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why there is a class 365 sitting inside the shed at Longsight Depot? Just wandering as I thought they were all going to warm storage/Scrap now
None are being scrapped. 525 is the unit at Longsight as discussed above.

cj_1985

Which is a ridiculous waste of space. They’re redundant, old compared to other available fleets, and won’t see work again.
"Old compared to other available fleets"...
Which other available EMUs are currently available?

As far as I'm aware the 365s are the newest EMU fleet available for lease. (With the exception of the 360/2s)

The 350/2s and 379s don't count as they're currently still leased.

cnjb8

Established Member
"Old compared to other available fleets"...
Which other available EMUs are currently available?

As far as I'm aware the 365s are the newest EMU fleet available for lease. (With the exception of the 360/2s)

The 350/2s and 379s don't count as they're currently still leased.
If the 360/2s are the 5-car Heathrow ones, I think a freight company has leased them now.

Established Member
Which is a ridiculous waste of space. They’re redundant, old compared to other available fleets, and won’t see work again.
In what way are they old or worth scrapping when there are still Class 313, 507, 508, 455, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 456, 323, 465 and 466 EMUs in passenger service which are older, some by over 15 years, not to mention hundreds of ancient DMUs, HSTs and locomotives more than twice as old?

On Moderation
If the 360/2s are the 5-car Heathrow ones, I think a freight company has leased them now.
Not quite. ROG have bought them and they are available for lease, presumably for freight or passenger use.

A0wen

On Moderation
In what way are they old or worth scrapping when there are still Class 313, 507, 508, 455, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 456, 323, 465 and 466 EMUs in passenger service which are older, some by over 15 years, not to mention hundreds of ancient DMUs, HSTs and locomotives more than twice as old?
OT, but

the 507 and 508s are in the throes of replacement. The 317s also won't be around for much longer as GA get new units. Most of the 313s have gone.

There are questions about the future of the 456 and 465s.

Locos really aren't comparable, since in the most part they aren't in use for passenger work.

The big issue with the 365s is they are a small, non standard fleet - which means finding new homes for them is problematic. In that way they are not unlike another class of ex GN units - the Class 125 DMUs which were withdrawn in 1977 despite being under 20 years old, because mechanically they were non standard, whereas the mechanically standard class 116s lasted nearly 20 years longer.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
OT, but

the 507 and 508s are in the throes of replacement. The 317s also won't be around for much longer as GA get new units. Most of the 313s have gone.

There are questions about the future of the 456 and 465s.

Locos really aren't comparable, since in the most part they aren't in use for passenger work.

The big issue with the 365s is they are a small, non standard fleet - which means finding new homes for them is problematic. In that way they are not unlike another class of ex GN units - the Class 125 DMUs which were withdrawn in 1977 despite being under 20 years old, because mechanically they were non standard, whereas the mechanically standard class 116s lasted nearly 20 years longer.
I did also hear they were unreliable and their motors overloaded easily but not sure how reputable this is. There are a couple of clips suggesting this though:
- at 0:34, 0:37, and more subtly at 0:45 it jolts strangely despite conditions being dry.
- at about 2:29, you get a strange jolt when the unit tries to brake.

Could someone explain what happened in both clips?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is another thread on here some where about this.
However for ERTMS testing and fitting ie European remote train modular signalling.
Believe its 365525
Yes, there’s a picture of it in the main 365 thread:
The earlier thread specifically stating it is an ETCS trials unit is here:

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Don’t see why you are worried on DfT/Eversholt’s behalf.

Not quite. ROG have bought them and they are available for lease, presumably for freight or passenger use.
ROG have acquired them to " assist in our transformation of UK rail freight logistics. " (Source: Gordon Cox, ROG Business Development Director) So in other words, they're going to end up associated with Orion Logistics at some point, or at least thats what i can deduce from that quote.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
ROG have acquired them to " assist in our transformation of UK rail freight logistics. " (Source: Gordon Cox, ROG Business Development Director) So in other words, they're going to end up associated with Orion Logistics at some point, or at least thats what i can deduce from that quote.
But, although this is absolutely nothing to do with this thread‘s subject, it was mentioned in the relevant thread that ROG have also offered them around for spot hire passenger operations:

365 Networker

I did also hear they were unreliable and their motors overloaded easily but not sure how reputable this is. There are a couple of clips suggesting this though:
- at 0:34, 0:37, and more subtly at 0:45 it jolts strangely despite conditions being dry.
- at about 2:29, you get a strange jolt when the unit tries to brake.

Could someone explain what happened in both clips?
That’s just the WSP (Wheel slide protection) working - perfectly normal. Wheel slip can happen for a number of reasons, not just rain. It can be caused by oil, ice, snow, leaf residue, gradient e.t.c.

Status
Not open for further replies.