• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 379 updates (all are OFF LEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
Agree with that but what i was trying to say was they can now ascribe what value they want to each asset and most important factor is they don't have the higher interest cost on loans that Macquarie was saddled with.
It will depend on the terms of the original loan and what Akiem have done with it (paid it off? left it to run? is the interest rate fixed or not?). We have no way of knowing what the current position is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
It will depend on the terms of the original loan and what Akiem have done with it (paid it off? left it to run? is the interest rate fixed or not?). We have no way of knowing what the current position is.
They will have refinanced when they bought the assets from the "Vampire Kangaroo" as they are sometime known.

Class 170101

Established Member
West Anglia yes, but not West Anglia Main Line. This whole WAML thing has come from I don’t know where, but it grates because it is a route and not a mainline.
Will be a BR and NR thing rather than TOC thing.

43102EMR

Established Member
Does anyone know where the 379s are being stored - is it at Ilford or somewhere else?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
as far as I know they're still in service? This thread is a theoretical one, although the departure is fairly imminent.

Class 466

Established Member
Today there are 7 379 pairs out - leaving 16 units spare. Big increase in the number of 720s out on Cambridge services with 5 out of 7 circuits covered.

As for 321s there’s 3x 12 cars out on LST - IPS, and the one each on the Braintree,Walton and Harwich Town Shuttles.

Southends,Clactons, Colchester Town and Southminster are all 720s.

43102EMR

Established Member
as far as I know they're still in service? This thread is a theoretical one, although the departure is fairly imminent.
It was tweeted by Clinnick that the first ones are now being withdrawn this month, hence the creation of this thread.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, I spoke to several WA drivers yesterday & none of them where aware of anything.

John Jarman

I work at Hornsey and I hope the class 379s are transferred across because they are an exciting prospect to work on.

Mollman

Established Member
Regarding the leasing company Macquarie, were they a subsidary of National Express or totally separate from each other?
They did buy Stagecoach's London operation in around 2006, only to sell it back to Stagecoach in 2010 at a loss if I remember rightly.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A reliable source on here who regularly provides invaluable information on GTR has claimed only 001-026 would transfer to GN.

Railperf

Established Member
Looks like at least 3 Cambridge diagrams are pairs of 379s today and at least two pairs on Meridian Water shuttles. Looks like at least two Stratford to Hertford East diagrams are 317s though not sure of any 379s on that route today. Looks like 720547 on 5G62 at cheshunt with Stansted Airport on the destination indicator.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Looks like at least 3 Cambridge diagrams are pairs of 379s today and at least two pairs on Meridian Water shuttles. Looks like at least two Stratford to Hertford East diagrams are 317s though not sure of any 379s on that route today.
Don’t they interwork with Meridians

cambsy

On Moderation
YSTrains, the 379’s, are a sub class of the Electrostar family of units, and very similar units, run out of Kings Cross, and all over Southern England, so until all, Electrostars are retired, there would‘nt in my opinion, be any point in running farewell specials, and i would imagine, they will find a home, and useage, somewhere else.

Astro_Orbiter

not cambridges no, usually the Bishops Stortford - Stratford trains do a round to meridian water before returning to Bishops Stortford, but during this sunday "style" timetable, the meridian shuttles are just two pairs of 379's going up and down all day between them.

Railperf

Established Member
No. Looks like the Meridian Water service is two pairs of trains shuttling up and down. The Stratford to Hertford East is also self contained - predominantly 317s. The ideal scenario for passengers would have been for the meridian water service to interwork with Hertford East. But no instead we have a crazy time table where both the Hertord East and Meridian Water service leave for Stratford within 1 min of each other ..leaving an almost half an hour wait for the next pair. From Stratford it is a 6 min gap..then 24 mins!

Alfie1014

Reported elsewhere 379002/011 ran from Ilford to Parkeston (presumably for storage) today.

43102EMR

Established Member
Reported elsewhere 379002/011 ran from Ilford to Parkeston (presumably for storage) today.
From the sounds of things, this is a similar situation to the 317s as according to Clinnick, GA still have them on lease - temporarily stored at Harwich until needed

Railperf

Established Member
From the sounds of things, this is a similar situation to the 317s as according to Clinnick, GA still have them on lease - temporarily stored at Harwich until needed
If they are still in lease ..wby not use them in pax service and place 317s in warm store instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.