• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

i suppose the only other place they can Really run is....the underground :lol: wondered if the lu heritage department might buy them as they run that 38 stock for tours

as for how long they will be around, i went quite recently as i thought they where set to go when the works started which i thought was later this year, as they wouldnt be able to run after the works due to the upgrades like signals ect

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BayPaul

Established Member
i suppose the only other place they can Really run is....the underground :lol: wondered if the lu heritage department might buy them as they run that 38 stock for tours

as for how long they will be around, i went quite recently as i thought they where set to go when the works started which i thought was later this year, as they wouldnt be able to run after the works due to the upgrades like signals ect
Even then, presumably they would need adapting back to 4th rail, as I think they are currently only configured for 3rd rail operations. I can't imagine TfL has the money to be buying toys at present.

VEP3417

ahh yes id forgotten about that, suppose if they already have 1 38 train running they dont need a few more, probably most are destined to be static displays or parts for the running ones, what ever future for thos is

pdeaves

Established Member
ahh yes id forgotten about that, suppose if they already have 1 38 train running they dont need a few more, probably most are destined to be static displays or parts for the running ones, what ever future for thos is
Given the difficulty in keeping the fleet running today, are there any parts left to rob?

Anyway, once the 484s arrive, that shouldn't be a problem any more for a few years!

BayPaul

Established Member
I suspect the only question is whether the whole lot will be scrapped on the island, or taken to the mainland first. Nice though the heritage railway battery option would be, I still can't see what heritage line it would fit on, and the loss of capacity for batteries would be an issue. Discussed here and there were no realistic options presented
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/the-case-for-preserving-a-class-483.194454/page-2

Chris125

Established Member
I have had a look through this thread, but can't seem to find out for sure - will the 483s be running for the rest of this year? I'm hoping to get down there soon for a last ride.

They'll be running up to the 3rd of January, but don't be surprised if a failure means the service is only hourly.

I guess there's a chance the IOW steam railway might want one for static display, but I would be surprised if they had enough space.

SWR have confirmed interest from the IWSR, though whether they'd preserve a whole unit, carriage or just a section remains to be seen.

Waldgrun

Unlikely that they could run in the tunnels, as I recall that when being converted for Island use at Eastleigh, the unit bodies where raised, and I can't remember if it was by 2 or 4 inches!

bramling

Veteran Member
I suspect the only question is whether the whole lot will be scrapped on the island, or taken to the mainland first. Nice though the heritage railway battery option would be, I still can't see what heritage line it would fit on, and the loss of capacity for batteries would be an issue. Discussed here and there were no realistic options presented
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/the-case-for-preserving-a-class-483.194454/page-2

I think those in better condition will find homes, even if’s only as static exhibits.

After 80 years of continuous service they deserve it. It’s quite sobering to think that after a 50 year career with LT these trains have had a complete career as class 483s, lasting almost as long as a brand new train would have, doing a full day’s work each day.

I hope they aren’t just quietly scrapped.

Dunfanaghy Rd

There is at least one ex-Island car at Acton. You can see daylight through the roof! Can't see them wanting any more.
Pat

philthetube

Established Member
From memory of using Bakerloo line 1972 stock on the DC lines between Queens Park and Harrow and Wealdstone (shared with London Overground services to Watford), yes, it is quite a step down!

and these platforms are a compromise height, lower than most network rail ones, so the step would be even bigger.

VEP3417

always wondered why they reduced the car sets down to 2 cars as even on a monday morning/early afternoon it was starting to fill up seat wise when i went, the new trains are 2 car but i guess they plan to run a more frequent service as, i dont think 2 car is quite enough really especially during the summer with all the holiday makers

Journeyman

Established Member
There is at least one ex-Island car at Acton. You can see daylight through the roof! Can't see them wanting any more.
Pat

There's two former island cars, both trailers, sandwiched between motors that were retained by LT for engineering use (hence retaining original 4-rail configuration). The plan is to restore them to full working order, but there's a LOT of work to be done on that.

By the way, I'm talking Standard/Class 485/486 here. I'm not aware of any Island 38 stock/483 vehicles ever returning to the mainland.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Even then, presumably they would need adapting back to 4th rail, as I think they are currently only configured for 3rd rail operations. I can't imagine TfL has the money to be buying toys at present.

Not being an electrian / engineer, can 3rd rail trains run on 4th rail configurations? I know LO and the District Line share a track at Richmond, but can't remember if it is a 3rd rail or 4th rail set-up.

Journeyman

Established Member
Not being an electrian / engineer, can 3rd rail trains run on 4th rail configurations? I know LO and the District Line share a track at Richmond, but can't remember if it is a 3rd rail or 4th rail set-up.

LU 4-rail and NR 3rd rail trains can operate together where the tracks are suitably configured, i.e the negative rail is at 0V and bonded to the running rails for current return. NR 3rd rail stock cannot operate on tracks equipped purely for LU 4-rail operation, because the electrical circuit is completed through the negative rail and not the running rails.

Chris125

Established Member
always wondered why they reduced the car sets down to 2 cars as even on a monday morning/early afternoon it was starting to fill up seat wise when i went, the new trains are 2 car but i guess they plan to run a more frequent service as, i dont think 2 car is quite enough really especially during the summer with all the holiday makers

2tph will remain the normal service, but there should be enough 484s to allow 4-car trains when necessary.

Journeyman

Established Member
2tph will remain the normal service, but there should be enough 484s to allow 4-car trains when necessary.

Also bear in mind there's a lot more space inside the new cars, so although the seating capacity isn't much higher, there's a lot more room for standing passengers.

VEP3417

ahh yes completely forgetting you could probably couple a few together to make longer trains :lol:

heres a photo that cropped up online of the new paint job...someone remarked its almost lt plain silver :lol:

Attachments

• ttiow.jpg
    ttiow.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 329

Domh245

Established Member
ahh yes completely forgetting you could probably couple a few together to make longer trains :lol:

heres a photo that cropped up online of the new paint job...someone remarked its almost lt plain silver :lol:
A bit of blue on the ends and it's in the proper SWR livery!

DelW

Established Member
#533 I have not been to Alderney, but presume that there they can choose their own platform height. Any existing line would have the standard British height, which (I think) would require quite a step down into the unit and then another climb back up again.
Alderney Railway doesn't really have platforms (or stations come to that) - only one double door is used, so at either end of the line, the train stops so that that door is positioned by a set of concrete steps. But the top step is indeed at or just below tube height.

Chris125

Established Member
surprised there where no mind the gap announcements :lol:

If anything the Down platform is slightly worse and that's with the 483s whose bodies were raised by NSE, imagine what it was like with the Standard Stock!

VEP3417

if anything they needed to be raised a tad more as theres a gap and a step up...what could possibly go wrong :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Latest Modern Railways suggests 484 fault free running might possibly be split, with the first 3 done on the island, and the other 2 working out of Bournemouth depot, however it then goes on to say they could all be done on the island...

Speed43125

Has the plan for walk-through carriages always been there? I certainly can't remember it ever being mentioned.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Has the plan for walk-through carriages always been there? I certainly can't remember it ever being mentioned.

It's always been offered by Vivarail - I think only WMT didn't take it (and should have done, the "accessible" door arrangement on those is silly - complies with the letter of the regs but not the spirit).

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's always been offered by Vivarail - I think only WMT didn't take it (and should have done, the "accessible" door arrangement on those is silly - complies with the letter of the regs but not the spirit).
Walk-through carriages were in fact proposed by LU for the refurbishment of the D Stock, but dropped when the refurb was scaled back.

fgwrich

Established Member

Only TfW Have taken up the Walkthrough option, the SWR Units having the same arrangement as the WMT Version. Speaking of which, how does that actually work?

Status
Not open for further replies.