• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 503 disposal

Trestrol

The 306 still predates the 506.... Deliveries started in 1949 along with entry to service. But the 506 was still an updated 306 and did not enter service until 1954
Only because the the second world war got in the way. The design was still the 1938 design and Deliveries actually started 1939/40 until they were put on hold. Units were in LNER livery but without traction equipment. This is one design difference between the two when originally built. The date they went into service is not the same as when they started to build them. So As the 306 went into service in 1949 some were nearly ten years old.As I am sure BRCW and Met-camm were quick to switch back to their prewar orders once wartime production stopped. The 506 actually followed the original design as they were composites in the intermediate trailers. The 306 were third only a change from original spec.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tony2

I’d be interested in Visiting Margate to view the class 503 before it is disposed of, does anyone know the policy of access to the one to one collection?

I’ve looked on their website, all I could find was the collection is opening to the public sometime in the future (which may be too late).

From photos on Flickr though, some have already photographed the 503 suggesting previous access was allowed, which is confusing!

Last edited:

SERA01UK

I’d be interested in Visiting Margate to view the class 503 before it is disposed off, does anyone know the policy of access to the one to one collection?

I’ve looked on their website, all I could find was the collection is opening to the public sometime in the future (which may be too late).

From photos on Flickr though, some have already photographed the 503 suggesting previous access was allowed, which is confusing!
You won’t get access anytime soon, there was an event a few years ago over two days but nothing since as the place has been a building site.

Trestrol

Fascinating, I did not know the initial units were painted prior to WW2 storage.
What colour scheme did LNER use? Red & Cream, as per the Tyneside articulated units?
Unit 06 suffered accident damage at Ilford in BR days and evidence of LNER Blue and Quaker great were found. This is earlier than the Tyneside units were painted in this livery. That was 1941. There is quite a bit of information on the LNER Encyclopaedia website about both the 306&506. It's interesting to see how quickly the design of LNER EMU had evolved from the 1937 Tyneside to the slightly later 1938 design 306/506 units.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Ah, I don't have a Facebook account. When I click on that link, or paste into another browser tab, I'm prompted to log into FB, which I cannot.
I don't have one either - but just close the facebook log in pop up (with the 'X') ands then it just progresses through to the page - worth it if you can as interesting pics. Apols if this does not work in your case however.

It's a shame a 506 wasn't preserved. You'd have the 506 representing the DC traction with fairly original layout. The 306 being an AC adapted variant. I'm surprised there's as many 77s kept as there are!

It'll be a shame when most of the 503 bites the dust.
To be pedantic a class 506 was preserved and it was scrapped because there weren't the resources to support it's continued preservation. It was hauled a couple of times at the MRC if I recall but the reality is the people who have the cash, want to spend their weekends up to their eyeballs in oil are those few who are interested in preserving other stock which interests them. Afraid I am guilty of that as I have given cash to support the continued preservation of a number of class 37s, a 40, a45 and the Derby Lightweight but the reality is I have never spent more than a few days of my life on Merseyside and thus have never donated to the class 503 or 502 or 508.

M28361M

Reported on Twitter/X that the two 503 coaches have been moved.
The two coaches which will be scrapped, of the Class 503, are now already at Cockshute Sidings where they will then be scrapped later.

Apparently if you want them, you can still have them! It’s not too late. Serious offers only…
(link to pictures)

The_Train

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that 2 coaches are now at Cockshute and one remains at Margate?
If so, can anyone advise which coaches are at which location please?

The_Train

Established Member
M 28690 M and M 29720 M were at Cockshute on Monday.
Thank you.
I think I have seen somewhere today that one of the carriages at Cockshute is interesting a heritage railway so one might have a future in existence

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's a shame a 506 wasn't preserved. You'd have the 506 representing the DC traction with fairly original layout. The 306 being an AC adapted variant. I'm surprised there's as many 77s kept as there are!

It'll be a shame when most of the 503 bites the dust.
We can thank the Dutch for all but one of the 77s, I believe.

8A Rail

Established Member
Thank you.
I think I have seen somewhere today that one of the carriages at Cockshute is interesting a heritage railway so one might have a future in existence
Driving Trailer No 29289 was apparently on its way north yesterday. In the meantime Driving Motor Car No 28690 is going to the Cambrian Heritage Railway (Llynclys site) initially for safe storage. What happens afterwards remains to be seen.

Trackman

Established Member
A cab has been saved by the 'cab-yard' man. 29289?
I imagine it was in Cockshute sidings as a Pendo went past.
He also made of video showing the interior, it was in a right state. Think he mentioned the driver doors were seized up, which will be part of the cab cut.

A cab has been saved by the 'cab-yard' man. 29289?
I imagine it was in Cockshute sidings as a Pendo went past.
He also made of video showing the interior, it was in a right state. Think he mentioned the driver doors were seized up, which will be part of the cab cut.
Is there a link to the video please.

Trackman

Established Member
Is there a link to the video please.
It has re-appeared (FB) , but a different video - a better one from you-tube, so I can share it on here.

Description: The cab yard owner talks about his new acquisition. It is first inside the unit (in a mess) then goes outside, hence the wind. The unit has a part covering over it. Unit is in Stoke.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It has re-appeared (FB) , but a different video - a better one from you-tube, so I can share it on here.

Description: The cab yard owner talks about his new acquisition. It is first inside the unit (in a mess) then goes outside, hence the wind. The unit has a part covering over it. Unit is in Stoke.
Thanks for that link - just so sad to see something that could have been protected, have got in such a bad state - but good luck to the new owner for his efforts.

The preservation movement just needs a couple of those vast distribution hub sheds now seen all over the m-way network for storing all the on line stuff society buys, as giant indoor places to store these treasures :lol:

Thanks for sharing the link.

Wonder if there are any other bits for sale?

8A Rail

Established Member
A shame that the 'wind' noise made hearing what he had to say difficult. Anyway, I think if I heard correctly then its the Drivers Cab along with the first part of the passenger compartment just pass the first set of sliding passengers doors he is obtaining. If its something else, then clarification would be appreciated. I wonder if its includes the bogie too? Regardless, good luck to him and I hope he succeeds with his intentions.

Trackman

Established Member
I think if I heard correctly then its the Drivers Cab along with the first part of the passenger compartment just pass the first set of sliding passengers doors he is obtaining. If its something else, then clarification would be appreciated. I wonder if its includes the bogie too?
Correct, I doubt the bogie would be included though.

Jasper Greene

Whilst I am not in anyway against Pacer preservation there are perhaps a few too many. The 503 is now unique whilst Pacers are not. I hold a similar view with steam,why preserve yet another Prairie or Hall from Barry when D6122 or one of the D600s could have preserved?
And there are a lot worse things to be preserved and run, with pacer being able to be painted into old livery’s and be good looking and oldy-woldy for tourists and fun for enthusiasts.

SERA01UK

Thanks for sharing the link.

Wonder if there are any other bits for sale?
If you are seriously interested there may be some parts available. Best PM me.

For those of you who are interested here is an update:

Centre car 29720 is due to leave Cockshute before the weekend and will be scrapped in a matter of days.

Driving trailer 29289 will likely leave next week. If you have seen the YouTube video then you will know that The Cab Yard are having the cab and forward section of the saloon up to and including the leading set of doors, not the bogie. Replacement glass and reasonable interior components from both scrap cars have been sourced to assist the reconstruction of that section when it moves to Llanelli.

No date has yet been set for Driving Motor Brake 28690 to move to Llynclys, could be anytime in the next week or two. This move, to save one coach and prevent the class from becoming extinct has not come cheaply, in fact it has exceeded the budget set aside for relocating the whole unit. If anyone would be willing to donate to this move it would help enormously, please either message the page or use the PayPal giving link below.

In addition the future ambition for any restoration is entirely dependant on support from those who want to see it saved. This vehicle will have its own dedicated funding pot separate from other projects.

Last edited:

antharro

Is there any idea of the amount of money that would need to be raised?