• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Busman

Good god...

Can we stop bouncing dates around unless we actually know? Over the past week we've had the following days listed:
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Sunday
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
This is getting ridiculous. Unless you yourself know what the dates are, which at the moment nobody here does, you're in no position to share when they'll run. This date chasing has been going on since before Christmas, accept the fact that none of us know and it'll be completely unannounced. We don't know the date it'll run on. It could be today, tomorrow, in a month's time, but this is all just he-said-she-said at the moment.

I've heard from Bob at the newsagents, it's going to be Wednesday.

We just need one more rumor suggesting it's going to be Saturday to complete the 7 day set.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Alas, it's definitely not going to be a Saturday or Sunday!

43OO4

It appears as though diagrams on Wednesday and Thursday are activated. Seems to be the opposite of what we've seen in the past, so they're really getting optimistic about this - assume they'll run unless said otherwise. This goes for all 2U91 diagrams, so take this as an "Earliest Opportunity" thing.

EDIT: No diagrams next week... Things are really starting to look tight, however more Reading tests are on the table.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Derek down the pub has told me that 2U91 will probably run tomorrow, and the fact it’s a “run as required” path isn’t worth worrying about.

43OO4

Just got a text off Mark Harper, they're running a passenger service this evening but they're having issues getting it on the national timetable

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
The bodyside cameras are in use daily on the IETs in DOO mode. Eg Paddington - Oxford is DOO with IETs.

The 165s and 166s don't have and have never had bodyside cameras. They use platform equipment when in DOO mode.

Try better next time. ;)
To clarify, the bodyside cameras on GWR IETs are not used for the purposes of DOO dispatch, the trains can only operate DOO if all calling points have platform staff to dispatch. GWR has to provide a guard on all occasions where platform dispatch staff cannot be provided or guaranteed, e.g. calls at Twyford, Maindenhead, Radley.

The 165 & 166 fleet have had bodyside cameras fitted for years, along with in-cab monitors. None of them are or are ever have been in use, however.

Carry on… :)

Goldfish62

Established Member
To clarify, the bodyside cameras on GWR IETs are not used for the purposes of DOO dispatch, the trains can only operate DOO if all calling points have platform staff to dispatch. GWR has to provide a guard on all occasions where platform dispatch staff cannot be provided or guaranteed, e.g. calls at Twyford, Maindenhead, Radley.

The 165 & 166 fleet have had bodyside cameras fitted for years, along with in-cab monitors. None of them are or are ever have been in use, however.

Carry on… :)
So how does the driver view the despatcher if not on the cab screens?

Where are these invisible bodyside cameras fitted on the Turbos because I can't see any? A very ingenious design. :D :D :D

Anyway, back to the 701s. Again.

Derek down the pub has told me that 2U91 will probably run tomorrow, and the fact it’s a “run as required” path isn’t worth worrying about.
The cat that was just in my garden told me it's *definitely* tomorrow.

Last edited:

Andy1673

So how does the driver view the despatcher if not on the cab screens?

Where are these invisible bodyside cameras fitted on the Turbos because I can't see any? A very ingenious design. :D :D :D

Anyway, back to the 701s. Again.

The cat that was just in my garden told me it's *definitely* tomorrow.
The cat knows! Moreover neighboor`s cat has said me the same and the pub cat nearby confirms :D :D:D:D

Towers

Established Member

Why they’re on the bodysides of course…

Have a look at the box above the bodyside window in the pic below, that’s the camera housing.

Image shows a GWR Class 165 standing in platform 5 at Twyford, taken from the “Annonymous Widower” website here:

Anyway, err, back to 701s. Again! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4841.jpeg
    IMG_4841.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Why they’re on the bodysides of course…

Have a look at the box above the bodyside window in the pic below, that’s the camera housing.

Image shows a GWR Class 165 standing in platform 5 at Twyford, taken from the “Annonymous Widower” website here:

Anyway, err, back to 701s. Again! ;)
Well, well, you learn something new every day! Happy to admit I'm wrong, very wrong on this occasion! :D

So, for the final time, back to the 701s!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It would he helpful if we could stick to verified facts as to when we think the first train into passenger service will be. Unreferenced or unverified claims are against the forum rules so please bear this mind in when posting.

Also a reminder that the class under discussion here is the Class 701 for SWR - if you want to discuss other things such as the DOO arrangements for other classes / TOCs then please start a new thread.

thanks

Stephen42

It appears as though diagrams on Wednesday and Thursday are activated. Seems to be the opposite of what we've seen in the past, so they're really getting optimistic about this - assume they'll run unless said otherwise. This goes for all 2U91 diagrams, so take this as an "Earliest Opportunity" thing.

EDIT: No diagrams next week... Things are really starting to look tight, however more Reading tests are on the table.
None of the diagrams for this week have been activated. Real Time Trains will only show the warning when it's near the departure date, possibly starting when it infills passing locations not present in the schedule. If the runs are attempted, it is likely to only be activated on the day and once activated will show the passenger parts on standard departure boards/sites.

The runs for this week were only uploaded on Thursday and the previous two times they've appeared were the Wednesday or Thursday before. I wouldn't expect anything for next week to show until later in the week.

swr444

Are you absolutely sure it's running tomorrow? You said it was activated to run today but look at what happened.
It’s on the carriage working notices and had staff allocated to work it. Go and see for yourself tomorrow if you’re that bothered

Dan G

A lot of what I've read is "This guy from Staines", "I've heard this date being bounced around", never "So the date in my own brief is this". What's even more shocking is people on this forum encouraging somebody to board a unit despite it not even being on a passenger-carrying headcode. We don't know when it will run, nor can we force the first passenger carrying run to happen.
You're easily shocked.

pompeyfan

Established Member
My understanding is there’s more chance of it running than not running, however usual operational caveats apply.

43OO4

Less than 3 hours until it's meant to be out and yet it's still not activated. Apparently it should be activated by around 5am. Prepared to eat my words.

swr444

Looks like there’s now no guard allocated to it..but there is a driver allocated, so it seems a 50/50 chance