• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

PG

Established Member
How much gangway space would you lose putting small spacers between the seats and also the carriage side?
I've just seen a photo that shows that they do have the same 2cm middle spacer as the 700, just not the sidewall one.
Thanks to the photo provided by @Goldfish62 we now know that they do have an inter-seat spacer. The answer to your question therefore is subtract double the width of the sidewall spacer you propose fitting from the width of the gangway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
The grey panelling really dosent go well with the brand makes the train feel dull and gloomy inside, should’ve really had more light blue panneling like every other fleet on SWR has.

But hey ho, thats my opinion on the interior. Most people probably wont care or notice
Disagree. I feel it makes the interior of say a 345 actually more welcoming and less clinical than the plain white of the 700/717!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Thanks to the photo provided by @Goldfish62 we now know that they do have an inter-seat spacer. The answer to your question therefore is subtract double the width of the sidewall spacer you propose fitting from the width of the gangway.
But then because we have photographic evidence that the seat cushions are wider and take up the space that the seat spacer creates they must also take up the equivalent space between the seat frame and the side wall.

Perhaps I need to go out tomorrow and take another photo. On the other hand maybe I won't!

On an allied matter hopefully you can see in this photo how much deeper and more contoured the seat cushions are compared to standard ironing boards.

Attachments

• 20240110_112116.jpg
    20240110_112116.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 258

D365

Veteran Member
I was on the run on Tuesday and one of the SWR management (I can't remember who) said they had 2 or 3 units ready to run, so there could be a third unit out this week
I’m only aware of 037 and 039. The other two units that could be used are fully committed to staff training duties.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
How come none of the earlier units have been approved yet? It's generally those that enter service first.
The earlier units will have festered for years in sidings so will have suffered from damp etc. Also there are various modifications needed - more than usual for a new fleet it seems. The later built units will have those modifications as built but the older units might still have the modifications outstanding.

PG

Established Member
On an allied matter hopefully you can see in this photo how much deeper and more contoured the seat cushions are compared to standard ironing boards.
Thanks for that photo. Yes indeed that is visible but it really shows just how intrusive the ducting is for window seat passengers! With underfloor heating what on earth is the reason for such hefty ducting??

Goldfish62

Established Member
Thanks for that photo. Yes indeed that is visible but it really shows just how intrusive the ducting is for window seat passengers! With underfloor heating what on earth is the reason for such hefty ducting??
I asked that before. It's simply because the body curves inwards due to the loading gauge. It's identical on the 720s. It's not as intrusive as it appears in the photo. The heater ducting on the 450s is much more intrusive as I was able to vouch as I got straight on a 450 afterwards.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I asked that before. It's simply because the body curves inwards due to the loading gauge. It's identical on the 720s. It's not as intrusive as it appears in the photo. The heater ducting on the 450s is much more intrusive as I was able to vouch as I got straight on a 450 afterwards.

Vastly prefer the 350/450 one as you can put your foot on it as it has a flat top.

They look similar to the 195/331 or the ScotRail EMUs.

Goldfish62

Established Member
To me, they look like the design of cushion used on the HEX 387s, which have much softer padding than any other variant of this seat.
In terms of firmness I'd say they're about the same as the 450 seats immediately after they were refurbished. Hard, but not the worst. I think that's the best we can expect of any new train seat these days.

D7666

MITRAC, it's called. I don't know what the Aventra software is called, but the bodging of MITRAC was why the 345s were delayed, which in turn was why the 710s were delayed (cos the needed a watertight brand-new software system).

Be careful when throwing brand names around.

It is all Mitrac, Electrostar*** Capitalstar and Aventra.

But that is because

(1) Mitrac is a brand name from another part of the (ex)Bombardier business for a large range of rail traction products

[ii] the product(s) migrate and develope as needed, both generically and for bespoke applications, and not and never have been fixed static products cast in stone and set forever

[iii] Mitrac is hardware components and software elements and the two may or may not progress together

(iiii) Mitrac sub elements are often annotated by suffix letters e.g. Mitrac -XYZ will be a specific item; usually an in house (ex)Bombardier job where they are the prime contractor will be all Mitrac so suffixes omitted in publicity blurb (hence skipped in trainspotter ABC books or the like of wikipedia) but more often you will find -ABC or -XYZ mentioned when supplied to work with a.n.other builders trains

As other GB examples of the Mitrac product name wide range, LU S stock and 2009 stock are Mitrac, as are the upgraded 9800 series of Eurotunnel BoBoBo locos ex-9000s as Mitrac as well as all their 9700s; LU 1992 stock is get Mitrac motors and Mitrac control on their CLIP upgrade.

Not even electric traction specific: 172s /somewhere/ have Mitrac elements in their systems; not sure about Turbostars but suspect they do.

Mitrac, like Electrostar, is a former ADtranz product, it has been around that long.

Last edited:

Energy

Established Member
Mitrac, like Electrostar, is a former ADtranz product, it has been around that long.
Indeed it came from Adtranz's Vasteras, Sweden base. Derby is the expert for bogeys but doesn't handle traction electronics.

D7666

Indeed it came from Adtranz's Vasteras, Sweden base. Derby is the expert for bogeys but doesn't handle traction electronics.
indeed Mitrac electronics from Sweden - but don't (this is a question not a statement) Mitrac traction motors hail from the ADTranz German constituents even if supported from Sweden now ? 1990s mergers and takeovers were all a little incestuous as well as complexicated

Goldfish62

Established Member
So after all this time, there are only four units ready for revenue service?
Five according to the list in post #7529.

Theoretically enough to cover all Windsor services. Another seven needed for Reading.

Commissioning one unit on average every 1-2 weeks would comfortably fit in with the two year introduction period.

Busman

Disagree. I feel it makes the interior of say a 345 actually more welcoming and less clinical than the plain white of the 700/717!

Agreed, the 345 probably has the best interior out of all the most recently introduced trains.

I mean look at the basic, disgraceful, can't be bothered interior of the 700's.

The 701's aren't that bad though, I quite like it (apart from the appalling ironing board seats).

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
Is the flat bit on top of the ducting wide enough to rest a foot on? Also how far back is the diagonal brace for the cantilevered seat? On one train in the window seat with someone sitting next to me I couldn't rest my foot on the duct and couldnt stretch my leg under the seat because of a diagonal brace. It was basically impossible to sit comfortably (I am 6' 3").

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Agreed, the 345 probably has the best interior out of all the most recently introduced trains, I mean look at the basic, disgraceful, can't be bothered interior of the 700's.

The 701's aren't that bad though, I quite like it (apart from the appalling ironing board seats).

I like the Lizzie line trains, inside and out. They're amazing machines for the job, even out to Romford and Heathrow and beyond. I will sample a 701 probably in the spring from Reading when they get there.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Is the flat bit on top of the ducting wide enough to rest a foot on? Also how far back is the diagonal brace for the cantilevered seat? On one train in the window seat with someone sitting next to me I couldn't rest my foot on the duct and couldnt stretch my leg under the seat because of a diagonal brace. It was basically impossible to sit comfortably (I am 6' 3").
Very wide, but at an uncomfortable angle and height. The diagonal brace is exactly the right position for me to rest my foot on, but I am six inches shorter than you.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There's no flat bit on the ducting. It basically follows the curving inwards body profile and is identical to that on the 720s.

The seat cantilever does protrude a bit into the footwell, but to me didn't seem as bad as on the 707, partly because the ducting is less intrusive and the seat spacing a bit more generous.