• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
You can sit facing forwards on the 710s, if you sit on the tip up seats.
Oh yes. I always make my way to those seats. Otherwise I end up getting a twisted neck or worse still put my back out. I have the stupid idea that the windows are for looking out of. One of the reasons I end up standing up ( sometimes by the doors) - so I can see out.

AM9

Veteran Member
Oh yes. I always make my way to those seats. Otherwise I end up getting a twisted neck or worse still put my back out. I have the stupid idea that the windows are for looking out of.

Longitudanal seats give a perfect view through the opposite windows. If the tip-up seats are like that class 378 type, doesn't sitting facing forward of backwards mean that the set in front of you is unusable?

AM9

Veteran Member
Not if there's a person in the way!
If they are sitting opposite to you, unless they are the size of king kong there should be adequate view either side and above them. If there are many standees, then getting any seat would be pot luck and you can stand yourself facing whichever way you want.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Longitudanal seats give a perfect view through the opposite windows. If the tip-up seats are like that class 378 type, doesn't sitting facing forward of backwards mean that the set in front of you is unusable?
Yes it does mean a tip up seat in front of me is unusable - but then I try to avoid the busiest of trains and in any case I give up a seat if it looks like people might need it.

Sitting staring out the opposite window is not perfect at all unless the train is very empty.
There are three problems :-
1) People facing you are in the way of the view
2) Worse still I don't feel comfortable staring past them - they might well think I am staring at them.
3) It is not really such a good view even when no one is in the way, not the same as facing the direction of travel and/or being closer to the window.
In the end, I fear, the windows are becoming irrelevant. Witness how few newer trains have seats aligned with the windows.
Have seen the 701s in Richmond a few times. Glad to see them on the NLL finally!
Do you mean 710s ?.
If 710s it won't make much difference unless you prefer them over 378s. That is because the arriving 710 will (mostly ?) replace some 378s so they can go to improving the frequency on the East London Line. Currently the 710s used on the North London Line seem to be predominantly the 4car version so a step backwards.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
If they are sitting opposite to you, unless they are the size of king kong there should be adequate view either side and above them. If there are many standees, then getting any seat would be pot luck and you can stand yourself facing whichever way you want.
I dislike looking towards people as I don't want to have them think I'm looking at them.

wickham

Reference posts 3020 and 3033: 710374 was outside (just inside the road vehicle entrance at the Ilford station end of the site) at Ilford Depot 28.11.23 with pantograph up, devoid of any external branding (except numbers) and no "sharks teeth" on the doors.
710269 and 175102 were on sidings adjacent, 710104 was visible inside No. 3 shed road (from the footbridge over the site) while another 710 (which could not be identified) was on a siding beyond the carriage washer to the left when looking from the footbridge. To round things off 710119 was working the Romford-Upminster service.

It seems that 710374 may be moved to Willesden TMD today 06/12 as a loco is on the way to Ilford for a 1235 Ilford TMD to Willesden TMD.

Last edited:

wickham

Without doubt the train ran (Per RTT), but no confirmation of what it conveyed, but is seems highly likely.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
In the interior shots it is noticeable how many people have their head bent down looking at their mobile. Makes me think we are getting to the stage where windows are merely perceived as providing secondary lighting !. How the world has changed. The one that gets me is the full on, full volume speaker phone conversations.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
As of right now, 710 375 is still in the usual siding at Willesden, but all the interior lights are on, as are the headlights at the south end.

Are there any peak extras they might be bringing it out for?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
so small update - 710375 is now available for service. :)out tomorrow I believe.

also 710270 out on network for commissioning next week under own power.

Busman

Yes but if it's not being used who cares.