• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully it stays out :)

Edit - yep still out as of 19;30, even though the PIS says 'formed of 4 coaches'. Had that "new train" smell (before it gets wrecked by vapers & other dodgy druggies)

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
710375 in service today, about to do 2C13 08.30 Watford-Euston.
Progress, it had to be imminent !. By my reckoning that leaves two 710s left to enter service 710270 at Willesden Depot (round the DC line side) and 710374 (probably last) being "finished" at Ilford.

710270 currently planned for February and 374 March introduction to service. 710270 commences fault free in the new year on the wcml

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Oh my word... That's such a long delay to get the trains out!
Unlike other Aventras the bulk of the 710s made it into service reasonably quickly. It was the last six that were late but arguably not the fault of the manufacturer. This is because TfL did not need the the last six as the East London Line service improvements (towards Crystal Palace iirc) were delayed which meant the 378s earmarked for that could stay on the North London Line.

Could argue that some of those six were needed. It was essentially 710374-710379 that were held back. But 710270 got tangled up. The finishing work on these has been done slowly outside Derby at Ilford. They are not quite needed yet.

wickham

Can anyone say what 710270 is doing this week. Before Christmas there were reports of it being visible at Willesden Depot - but reports now seem to have dried up. Is it inside at Willesden or is it now main line testing ?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Something left Willesden last night to do Willesden - Rugby - Wembley - Northampton - Willesden

I don't know for certain but it seems likely it may have been 710270. The paths are in the system for tonight and tomorrow night as well.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Can anyone say what 710270 is doing this week. Before Christmas there were reports of it being visible at Willesden Depot - but reports now seem to have dried up. Is it inside at Willesden or is it now main line testing ?
A text I had says 710270 was seen arriving at Rugby around 00:10. So presumably on the below.
Something left Willesden last night to do Willesden - Rugby - Wembley - Northampton - Willesden

I don't know for certain but it seems likely it may have been 710270. The paths are in the system for tonight and tomorrow night as well.

wickham

Thanks for the above: Looking on RTT the full circuit appears to be:
5Q51 2217 Willesden TMD to Rugby
5Q52 0051 Rugby to Wembley Receptions 1-7
5Q53 0239 Wembley Receptions 1-7 to Northampton
5Q54 0452 Northampton to Willesden TMD
Last night however (3/4th Jan) it appears to have run quite early !
Hopefully then, 710270 SHOUND be around Willesden TMD on Saturday - lets hope it is visible.

Class15

On Moderation
Finally, a 710 on the North London today! It was a /3 which was a relief as a /2 would’ve seriously struggled with the peak hour traffic. Currently on it on 2N51 Richmond - Stratford.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Has anyone actually seen 710270 following these main line shake-down runs - has it enterered service ?
Not seen it but it is my ASSUMPTION that it is a bit too early for 710270 to be in service just yet. Most likely see it in a siding around the DC side of Willesden depot. Once in service it is most likely (almost definitely) to be on the Euston-Watford, GospelOak-Barking or sometimes LiverpoolStreet routes.

A few hours on Willesden Junction low level is how I got many 710s. From there you can see if a 710 is on the high level which is still quite rare (then it is a dash up the stairs etc).

You need the Gospel Oak to Barking line for a few hours plus some 710/2s work out of Liverpool Street with their 710/1 class mates.

It is only the 710/3s that are supposed to eventually work on the North London Line but nothing settled down yet.

Business Bob

710s on the NLL atm are due to the lack of available serviceable 378s and these 710s are the spare units. These are just filling gaps to prevent circuits being cancelled and the resulting TfL KPI fines, so its just luck of the draw what units ends up on the NLL.

Last edited:

Class15

On Moderation
710s on the NLL atm are due to the lack of available serviceable 378s and these 710s are the spare units. These are just filling gaps to prevent circuits being cancelled and the resulting TfL KPI fines, so its just luck of the draw what ends up on the NLL.
No, it’s due to service increases on the East London Line. It’s intended to be permanant.

Business Bob

No, it’s due to service increases on the East London Line. It’s intended to be permanant.
Yes, I'm aware of the intended uplift in service on ELL. I'm commenting on why they are operating sporadically on the NLL atm (at the moment) and luck of the draw as to what units (710/2 or 710/3) end up out there.

Last edited: