• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Interesting. If Crewe to Birmingham is 350s then I'd expect Liverpool to Birmingham to be 350s.

Im guessing Crewe To Euston will be a single 730, when I've used that service with double 350s before its been very quiet, admittedly after an off peak avanti just left.
God I hope not, almost all Eus-Cre services require at least 8 cars now! Whenever it's shortformed to a 4 car you're leaving people behind at almost all stations (particularly Lichfield, Tamworth on the UP and Milton Keynes and Rugby on the DOWN)

Sorry, meant Saturday and forgot it was Monday today.
Yeah it's shut all next week too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
God I hope not, almost all Eus-Cre services require at least 8 cars now! Whenever it's shortformed to a 4 car you're leaving people behind at almost all stations (particularly Lichfield, Tamworth on the UP and Milton Keynes and Rugby on the DOWN)
I only went as far as Nuneaton on the down which is probably why it was quiet, thanks for correcting me.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
By May 2023, will the 323s still be in service at WMR, or will all 730s have entered service by then?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I only went as far as Nuneaton on the down which is probably why it was quiet, thanks for correcting me.
Obviously that's not to say some trains aren't busy every day, morning peak is still fairly quiet but afternoon and Friday-Sunday would really struggle with less than 8

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
By May 2023, will the 323s still be in service at WMR, or will all 730s have entered service by then?
Depends whether priorities have changed further.
Original plan was WMR units first so 323s gone early next year, but as the LNR 319s now seem to be higher priority and clearly conversations have been had to change the make up of the order, I'd say Autumn next year would be a date to aim for.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Absolutely no chance of the full class being in service by then. It's unlikely even a large proportion will have.

That's great news then. I am planning a trip to the West Midlands by then and although I will mostly be riding buses, I will be getting the train from Lichfield to Birmingham, so it would have been nice to get a 323.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Original plan was WMR units first so 323s gone early next year, but as the LNR 319s now seem to be higher priority and clearly conversations have been had to change the make up of the order, I'd say Autumn next year would be a date to aim for.
Is still the 17 323s moving to northern or all 26?

When do you expect the 350/2s to be withdrawn?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
When do you expect the 350/2s to be withdrawn?
Can't recall what date was in the NRC but December 23 timetable change would be my thoughts currently as they are surely the lowest priority out of the current stock. Someone else may have a better idea of dates currently

Just the 17 as far as I'm aware right now

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Just to clarify. The 9 x 323s not going to Northern are AIUI not being kept by West Midlands Trains will be redundant.

The Crayonista in me suspects the last 9 x 323s will get to Northern somehow. They have got more chance of finding use than 379s !.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Just to clarify. The 9 x 323s not going to Northern are AIUI not being kept by West Midlands Trains will be redundant.

The Crayonista in me suspects the last 9 x 323s will get to Northern somehow. They have got more chance of finding use than 379s !.
what will happen with the 379s?

jonesy3001

Established Member

Think the other 9 will go to northern when the electrification works have been done between Stalybridge - man victoria and bolton to wigan north western via lostock.

Silverlinky

730008 and 009 moved from Bletchley to Oxley today, 730005 and 012 came back as their replacements.
730010 will make the trip from Bletchley to Oxley tomorrow, nothing returning.

Can't recall what date was in the NRC but December 23 timetable change would be my thoughts currently as they are surely the lowest priority out of the current stock. Someone else may have a better idea of dates currently

Just the 17 as far as I'm aware right now
Do you mean December 2023 or December 23rd this year?

AMD

December 2023. At the earliest probably.
Sort of adds up - in Northern we've been told we aren't getting full fleet of WM 323s until late 2024, so probably a phased plan from Dec 23 through to late 24.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Sort of adds up - in Northern we've been told we aren't getting full fleet of WM 323s until late 2024, so probably a phased plan from Dec 23 through to late 24.
I guess if they start to leave end of 2023 and if they go through maintenance and update programme they would start to be rolled out March/April through to Nov/Dec 2024 as a cautious schedule

The_Train

Established Member
730008 and 009 moved from Bletchley to Oxley today, 730005 and 012 came back as their replacements.
730010 will make the trip from Bletchley to Oxley tomorrow, nothing returning.
Did 010 make the move today?

Silverlinky

730001/011 have been out between Bletchley and Euston both yesterday and today. They go out in the dark tomorrow and Thursday with further night time gauging/PTI/clearance testing taking place.

011+012 will go back to Oxley from Bletchley on Monday with 008+009 making the return trip on the same day. 010 will run from Oxley to Bletchley on Tuesday.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
730001/011 have been out between Bletchley and Euston both yesterday and today. They go out in the dark tomorrow and Thursday with further night time gauging/PTI/clearance testing taking place.

011+012 will go back to Oxley from Bletchley on Monday with 008+009 making the return trip on the same day. 010 will run from Oxley to Bletchley on Tuesday.
Presume their maintenance regime is based at Oxley at the moment.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Didn't manage to grab a photo but there was at least 1 730 in LNWR livery being hauled between Stafford and Crewe around 1pm this afternoon. No idea on unit number(s) but nice to see one in green. Looked really nice.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Didn't manage to grab a photo but there was at least 1 730 in LNWR livery being hauled between Stafford and Crewe around 1pm this afternoon. No idea on unit number(s) but nice to see one in green. Looked really nice.
730103 I gather. Anyone know what loco was hauling it please? Edit: It was 37510, just seen a pic

Last edited: