• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Less convinced it'd beat a 350/2, so I hope the LNR versions do have armrests or at least spacers.
It would for me, by way of association at least: many a horrible journey up to Crewe on a 350/2. If they have pull down tables, which I think they did from the picture, then I'm 110% sold on them over a 350/2.

I do very much hope there are armrests on the LNR ones though, always very important to me, as are tables. But of course, WMT haven't specified them for the 196s (which I think is a silly mistake and ruins the train)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJDesiro

Certainly an upgrade on a 323. Less convinced it'd beat a 350/2, so I hope the LNR versions do have armrests or at least spacers.
I believe the LNR units have the interiors from the original 730/2 spec, just without first class, so will have armrests - at least, that was what I was last told by a manager back in October, “2+2 Intercity Layout.”

AJDesiro

Pains me a little to say this, but that's going to be a such improvement over a 323. :lol:

The amount of more space for standing is incredible
I really like the look of them, tables will be welcome, and the standing space. One thing I find odd is the different carpet, I wonder if it's a harder-wearing carpet for the higher passenger loads, or if it's something to do with underfloor heating (I don't know if the 730s have them, but the 720s do so I'm basing this off of that).

Liam L

I really like the look of them, tables will be welcome, and the standing space. One thing I find odd is the different carpet, I wonder if it's a harder-wearing carpet for the higher passenger loads, or if it's something to do with underfloor heating (I don't know if the 730s have them, but the 720s do so I'm basing this off of that).
Yeah the carpet may not last long, Never actually never bothered to look at how the 172 carpet is doing since we now 2-3 years in since they started to get refurbished.
Underfloor heating would be nice however the 323 heating currently is very good so alongs as it matches that I'm happy, Just looking forward to some aircon in the summer to be honest.

AJDesiro

Yeah the carpet may not last long, Never actually never bothered to look at how the 172 carpet is doing since we now 2-3 years in since they started to get refurbished.
Underfloor heating would be nice however the 323 heating currently is very good so alongs as it matches that I'm happy, Just looking forward to some aircon in the summer to be honest.
From what I've seen, the carpet in the 172s is still doing fine, I meant to be a bit more specific, it looks like a different type of carpet to the stuff used in the 172s and 196s.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pains me a little to say this, but that's going to be a such improvement over a 323. :lol:

I know what you mean, 323s are fun machines but the 730s look oh so much better inside! Now I've had a look, I'm absolutely looking forward to a journey on one in due course. Not that I want the 323s to go away any time soon, I must add!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I know what you mean, 323s are fun machines but the 730s look oh so much better inside! Now I've had a look, I'm absolutely looking forward to a journey on one in due course. Not that I want the 323s to go away any time soon, I must add!

What I'm quite pleased to see is that they appear to combine the capacity and utility of 700s without looking horribly dull inside. They look quite classy, as the 196s do.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What I'm quite pleased to see is that they appear to combine the capacity and utility of 700s without looking horribly dull inside. They look quite classy, as the 196s do.

That's true, there's an element of good design in there. Hopefully the 730s will not disappoint!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That's true, there's an element of good design in there. Hopefully the 730s will not disappoint!
Agreed. I think all Aventras look more welcoming than 700s and 717s, primarily due to using silver panelling in place of white (the 720 less than the others). Hospital blue really doesn't look nice either.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there will be a 730/0 parked at Bletchley platform 6 on Friday 23rd between 10-4.

It's for a staff event/official photos prior to launch, so although you won't be allowed inside, could be able to get some close up pics of whichever unit they choose to use.

There probably is no need for standing anyway, as there should be enough seats for everyone. Unless some services are short formed.
I believe the LNR units have the interiors from the original 730/2 spec, just without first class, so will have armrests - at least, that was what I was last told by a manager back in October, “2+2 Intercity Layout.”
Is it too late now to revert back to 3+2?

AJDesiro

Dont' want it to revert back to 3+2, but concerned it could happen.
That's why in all my messages about the LNR interior beings 2+2, I say something along the lines of "supposedly," I also do this with the services they'll be running. I think we'll have to wait until the next LNR unit comes out of Derby, which, looking at the pace they're getting through the units currently, could be within the next 10 weeks, we have 9 more WMR units to go.

Why would you want to revert back to 3+2? A 24m body is too narrow, the 730s are horrendous. 3+2 should only be done in a wider 20m body.
One thing that I find peculiar is that the 450s and 444s seem to be the same width, despite the different carriage lengths. I wonder if this is either inaccurate data or if the reason why a 3+2 desiro is nearly bearable is because the walls aren't as thick.

Last edited:

That's why in all my messages about the LNR interior beings 2+2, I say something along the lines of "supposedly," I also do this with the services they'll be running. I think we'll have to wait until the next LNR unit comes out of Derby, which, looking at the pace they're getting through the units currently, could be within the next 10 weeks, we have 9 more WMR units to go.
Would you expect the first LNR units to be in service (as opposed to testing and driver training) by this time next year?

AJDesiro

Would you expect the first LNR units to be in service (as opposed to testing and driver training) by this time next year?
I don't think even LNR could answer that. Who knows what may come up, though I believe 730103 has appeared on some test runs recently.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I don't think even LNR could answer that. Who knows what may come up, though I believe 730103 has appeared on some test runs recently.
It has, and the 2nd LNR depot to get 730s DI refresh course is booked to start from the 25th with a monthly day release to drive them until the /2 launch. So there are clearly enhanced plans in the works

It has, and the 2nd LNR depot to get 730s DI refresh course is booked to start from the 25th with a monthly day release to drive them until the /2 launch. So there are clearly enhanced plans in the works
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but is it still the plan for the LNR 730s to have 2+2 seating, as far as you know?

Energy

Established Member
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but is it still the plan for the LNR 730s to have 2+2 seating, as far as you know?
All the 730s will have 2+2 seating, no first class.
with underfloor heating (I don't know if the 730s have them, but the 720s do so I'm basing this off of that).
The 730s have underfloor heating

LNWR have released a fact sheet on the 730s which confirms the points above. It also confirms that the 5 car routes will be Birmingham-Northampton-Milton Keynes-Euston, Liverpool-Birmingham and Crewe-Euston with 3 car units being temporarily used on Milton Keynes-Euston. Its not clear whether they will be primary traction on the routes mentioned above or are "could appear".

AJDesiro

All the 730s will have 2+2 seating, no first class.

The 730s have underfloor heating

LNWR have released a fact sheet on the 730s which confirms the points above. It also confirms that the 5 car routes will be Birmingham-Northampton-Milton Keynes-Euston, Liverpool-Birmingham and Crewe-Euston with 3 car units being temporarily used on Milton Keynes-Euston. Its not clear whether they will be primary traction on the routes mentioned above or are "could appear".
Ooh, I like the fact sheet, does this confirm that the 730/2s will just run wherever then, and not on specific diagrams as (I believe) was planned a few months ago, or is it a case of they’ll appear more on some services, occasionally covering others? There’s no way they’d be able to do all of the outlined services!

Also, RE 2+2, I realise the WMR units don’t have armrests, but do the LNR ones still have armrests? I’ve done a few rough calculations from the seat numbers in the 730/2s (to adjust for removed first class) from the 2021 NRC, which roughly lines up with the figures on the fact sheet for seats on them, does this mean they’re the same as the original /2 spec in every aspect other than having no first class?

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
463 seems high. How would you more than double the seating from the /0 when only adding two vehicles to three? Are all the whole end sections of the /0s 2+1?

Last edited:

AJDesiro

463 seems high. How would you more than double the seating from the /0 when only adding two vehicles to three? Are all the whole end sections of the /0s 2+1?
There's one or two 1+1 sections in the /0s, and then also the larger standoffs. From what I can recall, the /2s are more like 720s than 701s, with vestibules more like those on the 720s, with smaller standoffs, presumably that'll add around 16 more seats per carriage alone, then with the lack of 1+1 in the end carriages, there's likely more seats as a result of that too.

It does make me wonder how legroom will be, since a 6 car 350/3-4 would have around 357 seats ((214/3.6)*6, adjusted for first class), though, this may just be that the 730/2s might have loads of tip-down/perch seats in the vestibules like the 720s, which would be likely to add around 50 seats alone.

There's one or two 1+1 sections in the /0s, and then also the larger standoffs. From what I can recall, the /2s are more like 720s than 701s, with vestibules more like those on the 720s, with smaller standoffs, presumably that'll add around 16 more seats per carriage alone, then with the lack of 1+1 in the end carriages, there's likely more seats as a result of that too.

It does make me wonder how legroom will be, since a 6 car 350/3-4 would have around 357 seats ((214/3.6)*6, adjusted for first class), though, this may just be that the 730/2s might have loads of tip-down/perch seats in the vestibules like the 720s, which would be likely to add around 50 seats alone.
Even with all this taken into consideration, 463 does seem to be high for 2+2 seating. The 720s have only 27 more seats and they have 3+2 seating. I would have expected around 350 seats. I think probably what has happened is that 463 seats was for the old specification before it got changed, and whoever made the fact sheet does not realise it. Easy mistake to make.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even with all this taken into consideration, 463 does seem to be high for 2+2 seating. The 720s have only 27 more seats and they have 3+2 seating. I would have expected around 350 seats. I think probably what has happened is that 463 seats was for the old specification before it got changed, and whoever made the fact sheet does not realise it. Easy mistake to make.

That seems more likely to me. What is the number in the Greater Anglia 720s? Those have less 3+2 than the GA ones, being a bit more like 323s in layout aiming to avoid 3 side airline seats.

One thing also of note is that 5.730 has two fewer sets of doors than 6.350, which would mean 16 more seats, 8 per doorway.

490 in a Greater Anglia unit, which means 463 sounds very much like the C2C layout, otherwise the same but removing the third seat on about 5-6 rows per vehicle.

1D54

There's a WM 730 running up and down between Stafford and Rugby today but I've no idea which one it is.