• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
The 1330 LST to NRW is making very good time and looks like achieving a standard schedule or even beating it in spite of the slow running wrong line Shenfield to Chelmsford and the 6 additional stops. I have a feeling it's being piloted/conducted by one of our esteemed members.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 1330 LST to NRW is making very good time and looks like achieving a standard schedule or even beating it in spite of the slow running wrong line Shenfield to Chelmsford and the 6 additional stops. I have a feeling it's being piloted/conducted by one of our esteemed members.
You are far too kind sir (blushes) but I cannot take all the credit as there where two of us in the sharp end with my delightful road learner doing her upmost to claw back all of the lost time.

Railperf

Established Member
You are far too kind sir (blushes) but I cannot take all the credit as there where two of us in the sharp end with my delightful road learner doing her upmost to claw back all of the lost time.
Haha, it's almost as if you read the earlier posts and thought ..'we'll show em!! Not a flat out run by any means - the only place you didn't stop was Romford..and looking at RTT, I reckon you could still have beaten the schedule with that stop included. Looks like you had a clearer run through Ingatestone than some others. But the berth timings suggest you were running at 50ish mph instead of the 70mph wrong line speed - probably a TSR?
To be fair, seeing how the 745's coped today with those additional stops seriously makes a case for introducing more stops on the Norwich run. I mean - why not?

You cannot schedule these things much faster without losing a semi-fast GE service.

And how many people really need to get to Norwich in 90 min anyway? Whenever I have been to Norwich it is var more convenient for me to join at Stratford. Otherwise, i have to go into Liverpool Street and out again, which offsets the time saved by Nin90 services.

If someone had proposed a year ago to make one of the Norwich services a true stopper with the extra six stops - i would have said they were mad!!, But on todays' performance - 1h55 mins - the case would be why you would not make the extra stops.
In fact during COVID - the most efficient use of the stock would be to do so!

dk1

Veteran Member
Haha, it's almost as if you read the earlier posts and thought ..'we'll show em!! Not a flat out run by any means - the only place you didn't stop was Romford..and looking at RTT, I reckon you could still have beaten the schedule with that stop included. Looks like you had a clearer run through Ingatestone than some others. But the berth timings suggest you were running at 50ish mph instead of the 70mph wrong line speed - probably a TSR?
To be fair, seeing how the 745's coped today with those additional stops seriously makes a case for introducing more stops on the Norwich run. I mean - why not?

You cannot schedule these things much faster without losing a semi-fast GE service.

And how many people really need to get to Norwich in 90 min anyway? Whenever I have been to Norwich it is var more convenient for me to join at Stratford. Otherwise, i have to go into Liverpool Street and out again, which offsets the time saved by Nin90 services.

If someone had proposed a year ago to make one of the Norwich services a true stopper with the extra six stops - i would have said they were mad!!, But on todays' performance - 1h55 mins - the case would be why you would not make the extra stops.
In fact during COVID - the most efficient use of the stock would be to do so!
Might have shaved a few minutes off as I like to live on the dangerous side & am obviously far more confident. As for future timetables, I'm totally in awe of VHF & how that timetable was constructed but sadly we don't have the population or quadruple sections here in East Anglia to make such an exciting timetable viable. Please no more stops than we have now.

trebor79

Established Member
Remember there are basically no passengers at the moment. I suspect dwell times would become an issue with more normal loadings.
And it's good to have a decent period between stops to allow a visit to the buffet without worrying about someone getting on and pinching your seat :D.

dk1

Veteran Member
Remember there are basically no passengers at the moment. I suspect dwell times would become an issue with more normal loadings.
And it's good to have a decent period between stops to allow a visit to the buffet without worrying about someone getting on and pinching your seat :D.
No catering offer available right now.

Railperf

Established Member
So the Class 745's are on London to Norwich 'all stations' this week too - until the Ingatestone embankment slip is fixed. I see the timetable extended to over 2 hrs, but some services sneaking in to Norwich very early indeed - almost matching the normal schedule despite the six extra stops and 50mph running on the down through Ingatestone.

DB

Bit of a random question here, but I was looking at photos of the Stadler units yesterday (not had chance to travel on one yet) and I notice that the intermediate vehicles on the 755s are much shorter than the 745s. Are the driving vehicles identical on both classes? THey look to be, but difficult to tell for sure from photos.

Also, are the interiors identical on all the variants, i.e. both types of 745 and both types of 755? (apart from the 745/0 having a buffet and first class section which none of the others have)

Thanks

RailWonderer

Established Member
Bit of a random question here, but I was looking at photos of the Stadler units yesterday (not had chance to travel on one yet) and I notice that the intermediate vehicles on the 755s are much shorter than the 745s. Are the driving vehicles identical on both classes? THey look to be, but difficult to tell for sure from photos.

Also, are the interiors identical on all the variants, i.e. both types of 745 and both types of 755? (apart from the 745/0 having a buffet and first class section which none of the others have)

Thanks
The 745/1 and the 755 have identical interiors except the 755s have bay tables, the 745/0 fleet also have seat reservation displays and vestibule doors to make big compartment type seating areas.
I was on the 17:30 off LST a couple of days ago (745 008) and it was full and standing. No catering either, people pack food with them.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 745/1 and the 755 have identical interiors except the 755s have bay tables, the 745/0 fleet also have seat reservation displays and vestibule doors to make big compartment type seating areas.

I was on the 17:30 off LST a couple of days ago (745 008) and it was full and standing. No catering either, people pack food with them.
Catering is suspended UFN.

Railperf

Established Member
They are packed because there are essentially only 2 trains per hour beyond Shenfield feeding all the Essex stations to Colchester. Although the majority of Essex station car parks are empty - there are still enough people to reasonably fill a 745 south of Colchester in the peaks.

Abbo

All stations Norwich - Shenfield ? Does that include Needham Market which I think might have shorter platforms ?

Railperf

Established Member
No. Not Needham Market - but that isn't usually served by Norwich trains. The only stop served south of Shenfield on the main lines is Stratford.

20atthemagnet

All 745s got pulled from service today due to a snow accumulation issue. Snow seems to collect on the underframe and also on the intermediate parts of the coaches resulting in a safety risk of flying debris at through stations. Strangely enough no other units seem to be affected quite as badly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All 745s got pulled from service today due to a snow accumulation issue. Snow seems to collect on the underframe and also on the intermediate parts of the coaches resulting in a safety risk of flying debris at through stations. Strangely enough no other units seem to be affected quite as badly.

Very surprising given the frequency of the white stuff where they are built! :D

20atthemagnet

Very surprising given the frequency of the white stuff where they are built! :D

My thoughts entirely! However it was pretty bad. Several units yesterday depositing small snowman sized compacted chunks of snow on the platforms.. A face full of that at 80mph probably isn’t very pleasant. West has split some 379s up to make 4 car airports. Anglia looks like have just completely cancelled most/all NOR services.

Abbo

A wild guess here but could it be that to accomodate UK loading gauge a lot of heat generating equipment is slung underneath creating ice blocks ?

robert west

Yes good old bimodes holding up the fort. Operating faultlessly on the Norwich-Colchester shuttles at 60mph max.
just seen that the 2200 ex Norwich terminated at Colchester with no service forward to Liverpool street.
hope no one wanted stations beyond Colchester

Status
Not open for further replies.