• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I must admit that I didn't try the hand dryer because most are so feeble it's not worth the bother. My question still stands. Why does there need to be anything above the sink? On a 317 or 321 there is nothing above the sink. It's easy to see the tap, how it works and where the water comes out. No guessing where the sensor is.
It's hardly a trial & after a few visits you'll soon get used to it. In the current situation the less touching buttons the better. Best hand dryers on any train I'd say now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Best hand dryers on any train I'd say now.
In the U.K., I’d agree. The ones on the Metronom stock in Germany are effective, too (memorably branded “Airwolf”, if you remember 1980s telly!)

Astro_Orbiter

Toilet sinks are the only bad aspect of the 745's and 755's. I agree it's difficult to wash your hands properly, because the sensor seems to be to one side of where the water comes out, and it stops running about a millisecond after you move your hand away from the sensor to the water.
on the 755's at least, after about 6 times there's a loud "clunk" from behind the panel and no water water will be dispensed. I guess some kind of shut off to prevent inadvertent draining of the tank if the sensor plays up. Must autoreset after a while.
FWIW I find the disabled toilets don't suffer as badly from the problem as the smaller cubicle. I have no idea why this should be though.
I've found exactly the same, waving your hands under the bit tryna find the sensor with it clunking a drip a time lol. I had to look under and see where the sensor was so I could place one hand there while the other got wet.

StephenHunter

Established Member
In the U.K., I’d agree. The ones on the Metronom stock in Germany are effective, too (memorably branded “Airwolf”, if you remember 1980s telly!)

The helicopter did actually end up serving as an air ambulance in Germany. Until it crashed in a storm killing all three people on board.

Rick1984

I tend to just hand sanitize then bother with train sinks. Can't say I've found the Flirt ones any better

Taylorgb19

I wonder when the Lowestoft directs come into service if they will then be allowed to run in multiple in service

Railperf

Established Member
noted at least two 745/0s on the Stansted's and two 745/1s on Norwich services today. Is availability that low - in spite of a reduced timetable - that the respective subclaasses can't be kept on their intended services?

dk1

Veteran Member
noted at least two 745/0s on the Stansted's and two 745/1s on Norwich services today. Is availability that low - in spite of a reduced timetable - that the respective subclaasses can't be kept on their intended services?
There currently is no plan to keep the fleets on their correct routes. All down to availability & mileage. Maybe next year we will see some change.

On Moderation
There currently is no plan to keep the fleets on their correct routes. All down to availability & mileage. Maybe next year we will see some change.
Which makes the decision to go with two sub-fleets look even more stupid with every passing day.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well, quite. Won't be very impressive if you buy a First Class ticket then a Standard only unit rocks up.

They should have all been the same.
I suppose nobody could've predicted this year & the restrictive training/testing regime. As for the 1st class punters, GA is more than happy to refund the difference if not the entire fare. Most are understanding in the current situation.

Railperf

Established Member
Well, quite. Won't be very impressive if you buy a First Class ticket then a Standard only unit rocks up.

They should have all been the same.
doesn't Greater Anglia first class provision end from tomorrow except Norwich Intercity services - except that almost half of them are running with no first class?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suppose nobody could've predicted this year & the restrictive training/testing regime. As for the 1st class punters, GA is more than happy to refund the difference if not the entire fare. Most are understanding in the current situation.

What exactly in COVID prevents them diagramming units correctly? :)

dk1

Veteran Member
doesn't Greater Anglia first class provision end from tomorrow except Norwich Intercity services - except that almost half of them are running with no first class?
Probably. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment to be honest.

What exactly in COVID prevents them diagramming units correctly? :)
All down to training, testing & mileage from what I understand. Some technical/software issues are also affecting things. It is what it is unfortunately.

trebor79

Established Member
It does seem daft to have gone with two different trains. Especially as they all have to go to Crown Point for exams and servicing.
It's a bit poor they can't keep them to the correct services even with a reduced timetable. Refund of first class fares is all very well, but it hardly encourages people to keep using the train. Ditto with the expected buffet not being available, if people can't rely on it they will make other arrangements and not need to use it when it is available. Then someone will say "nobody uses the on board catering, let's scrap it".
Noticed last time I went to Noriwch that some stabled in Crown Point and Victoria sidings were the wrong way round. Guess it's easy enough to turn them on the triangle and is no big deal in the scheme of things, but how do they end up turned the wrong way to start with?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All down to training, testing & mileage from what I understand. Some technical/software issues are also affecting things. It is what it is unfortunately.

Is that requiring random allocations, though, or could the planners be updated to avoid people buying First Class tickets on them? (Or just do away with 1st as LNR have for the period of disruption).

On Moderation
Yet again the railway fails to realise that it's a service business. Not doing things that are advertised as being provided simply because it suits the railway isn't good enough.

Spet0789

Surely one fleet, with first class (declassified on StanEx), proper tables and with a trolley service for refreshments on the Norwich route would have been the blindingly obvious answer. There is absolutely no need for a full buffet service on a sub 2 hour (in time, 90 minute) train journey.

Critically, if the buffet service can’t be relied upon to be available, there’s no point having it. The first time a passenger boards at Norwich, counting on refreshment from the buffet only to find themselves on a StanEx unit, will be the last time that passenger doesn’t buy a sandwich at the station before boarding.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yet again the railway fails to realise that it's a service business. Not doing things that are advertised as being provided simply because it suits the railway isn't good enough.

The problem is the failure to plan and communicate properly. If, say, Island Line can only manage 1tph, put 1tph in the journey planner and timetable and ensure you operate that reliably (which I believe they now have). If you're going to need to put 321s or StanEx FLIRTs out on Norwich express duties, only issue counted-place reservations (if you bother at all) and bin First Class off, or plan what's going to end up where and make best efforts to actually do that.

As I've shouted ever since the Marston Vale debacle in summer, it's better to run 0.5tph reliably than 1tph with random cancellations.

The railway needs to realistically assess what it can deliver (to 95%+ accuracy) and put that in the publicity. The issue isn't a temporary reduced timetable/service of whatever kind; if that's necessary then it's necessary. It's about selling something they can't deliver. But timetabling on a hope and a prayer seems endemic - Castlefield and the south WCML are examples of timetables that just can't operate punctually unless absolutely everything goes right.

Surely one fleet, with first class (declassified on StanEx), proper tables and with a trolley service for refreshments on the Norwich route would have been the blindingly obvious answer. There is absolutely no need for a full buffet service on a sub 2 hour (in time, 90 minute) train journey.

Buffet or no (a microbuffet like that takes up about 2 table bays, that's all), it should have been a single fleet. I'd have kept the 1st, they could have offered a £5 upgrade on the StanEx service (at all times of day/week) and they'd have sold loads of them to people wanting to luxuriate a bit before putting up with Eireflop.

Critically, if the buffet service can’t be relied upon to be available, there’s no point having it. The first time a passenger boards at Norwich, counting on refreshment from the buffet only to find themselves on a StanEx unit, will be the last time that passenger doesn’t buy a sandwich at the station before boarding.

Exactly.

Last edited:

There was a printed poster at Norwich last week warning that trains may be running without first class, and implying that this was something that can happen when introducing new trains. In fact, most of the Norwich trains were formed of 745/1 units last Monday. A trolley service was operating on the affected trains.

dk1

Veteran Member
It does seem daft to have gone with two different trains. Especially as they all have to go to Crown Point for exams and servicing.
It's a bit poor they can't keep them to the correct services even with a reduced timetable. Refund of first class fares is all very well, but it hardly encourages people to keep using the train. Ditto with the expected buffet not being available, if people can't rely on it they will make other arrangements and not need to use it when it is available. Then someone will say "nobody uses the on board catering, let's scrap it".
Noticed last time I went to Noriwch that some stabled in Crown Point and Victoria sidings were the wrong way round. Guess it's easy enough to turn them on the triangle and is no big deal in the scheme of things, but how do they end up turned the wrong way to start with?
It's the movements between Crown Point & Victoria sidings that's causes the wrong turning. Initially there where instructions that sets had to be sent via Crown Point to ensure 1st class was at the front but as most of the day the bypass road has also been under possession by those constructing the new wash plant (this section of track has been out of action since the end of summer) meaning this isn't possible as the 12-car sets would need to shunt onto the Yarmouth/Lowestoft/Sheringham line along with 755s also making depot moves. It will be brought in again very time soon whenever this work is complete.

Almost everything booked to have catering has at the very least a static trolley if not an at seat service. Buffet counters are having screens fitted so staff don't have to wear face coverings all day too.

Unfortunately the use of 754/0 on 745/1 diagrams can only depend on what Stadler release & when & this may continue for some time yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.