• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
Probably (as it's been 10 years since the cl. 68). Good AC traction drives in good rail conditions with high axle loads are usually reckoned to boost usable tractive effort per axle at low speeds by up to about 50% versus a good DC drive, but less so in slippery rail conditions. If you can get close to cl. 66 performance for general freight with two fewer axles, motors and inverters (= less cost) why not?

A quick illustration of DC versus AC tractive effort for a couple of US diesel locos which are basically the same 6-axle loco, other than the AC version being about 4% heavier (and both are 30+ tonne axle load):

DC drive: GE ES44DC - Tractive Effort (starting) 142,000 lbs, Tractive Effort (continuous): 109,000 lbs @ 13.7 mph
AC drive: GE ES44AC - Tractive Effort (starting) 183,000 lbs, Tractive Effort (continuous): 166,000 lbs @ 13.7 mph

(data from https://www.thedieselshop.us/DataGEIndex.HTML )
If these figures are correct then implies a much higher power at rail for the AC drive; would expect a slightly higher value for AC as motors are more efficient but this is significantly more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
From the videos I am not even sure the loco is using a diesel engine as its not obvious to me. These tests might be all done on battery ?.

ac6000cw

Established Member
If these figures are correct then implies a much higher power at rail for the AC drive; would expect a slightly higher value for AC as motors are more efficient but this is significantly more.
Thanks for pointing that out - checking the figures (which I copied from a usually reliable source), I suspect either the continuous TE or the speed are wrong for the AC drive loco - I'll check. The engine power rating is the same (4400hp 'available for traction') for both DC and AC locos.

On Moderation
Thanks for pointing that out - checking the figures (which I copied from a usually reliable source), I suspect either the continuous TE or the speed are wrong for the AC drive loco - I'll check. The engine power rating is the same (4400hp 'available for traction') for both DC and AC locos.
The weights are slightly different for the two types according to the link you provided earlier, ES44DC being 188 tonnes and ES44AC 196 tonnes. How much that accounts for the tractive effort rating, I don't know.

ac6000cw

Established Member
From the videos I am not even sure the loco is using a diesel engine as its not obvious to me. These tests might be all done on battery ?.
Without OHLE, I assume it runs in a diesel + battery hybrid mode (with re-generative braking into the battery as well), so how much power comes from each source probably varies dynamically. Also it's only a 1200hp/900kW diesel engine, with exhaust after-treatment plumbing as well, so possibly not very noisy anyway, especially running light engine.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
As already pointed out it will be very quiet, an 88 is almost inaudible when on diesel. Even older designs can be quiet when re-engineered, listen to a Slovakian 757 - you can hear the traction motors over the engine!!

hwl

Established Member

It isn't that simple unfortunately.
That definition of continuous TE is a also hugely dependent on traction electrical equipment's ability to operate efficiently and and is a measure of when the equipment overheats. 3 Phase variable frequency AC is far friendlier to traction motors.

With AC the dry adhesion is far higher
The power at the rail is higher due to higher efficiency (7-8% higher overall efficiency)
AC traction electrical equipment is much less thermally stressed. e.g. in that example DC continuous = 75% of starting value, AC = 91% of starting value (which is much higher)
AC traction motors typically rotate 30-60% faster than DC so have much greater gearing ratios.

There are no nice simple easy comparisons.

Rail Quest

Without OHLE, I assume it runs in a diesel + battery hybrid mode (with re-generative braking into the battery as well), so how much power comes from each source probably varies dynamically. Also it's only a 1200hp/900kW diesel engine, with exhaust after-treatment plumbing as well, so possibly not very noisy anyway, especially running light engine.
The sound was definitely mixed but from what I've seen, it does look like they tried her on battery only at one point, which, rather expectedly, just sounded like an 88 on electric. Skip to 0:45 in this video:

She sounded a lot louder at Sheffield, a mixture of engine noise and I'm assuming coolant fans. Initial impressions to my ears are she definitely sounds better than an 88 on diesel, IMO.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
It isn't that simple unfortunately.
That definition of continuous TE is a also hugely dependent on traction electrical equipment's ability to operate efficiently and and is a measure of when the equipment overheats. 3 Phase variable frequency AC is far friendlier to traction motors.

With AC the dry adhesion is far higher
The power at the rail is higher due to higher efficiency (7-8% higher overall efficiency)
AC traction electrical equipment is much less thermally stressed. e.g. in that example DC continuous = 75% of starting value, AC = 91% of starting value (which is much higher)
AC traction motors typically rotate 30-60% faster than DC so have much greater gearing ratios.

There are no nice simple easy comparisons.
The basic physics is still the same though that Force x Speed = Power (I know strictly should talk about velocity), so if TE is higher at the same speed then rail power is higher. If continuous TE is significantly higher it would follow, for the same rail power, that speed that it occurred at would be lower.

ac6000cw

Established Member
A quick illustration of DC versus AC tractive effort for a couple of US diesel locos which are basically the same 6-axle loco, other than the AC version being about 4% heavier (and both are 30+ tonne axle load):

DC drive: GE ES44DC - Tractive Effort (starting) 142,000 lbs, Tractive Effort (continuous): 109,000 lbs @ 13.7 mph
AC drive: GE ES44AC - Tractive Effort (starting) 183,000 lbs, Tractive Effort (continuous): 166,000 lbs @ 13.7 mph
The basic physics is still the same though that Force x Speed = Power (I know strictly should talk about velocity), so if TE is higher at the same speed then rail power is higher. If continuous TE is significantly higher it would follow, for the same rail power, that speed that it occurred at would be lower.
Correct.

I've looked at other sources of information for the ES44AC and it's predecessor AC4400CW, which has basically the same electrical equipment and engine power.

If we assume the 'Tractive Effort (continuous): 166,000 lbs' is correct (as the loco can definitely produce that and more at very low speeds), taking the engine power 'available for traction' as 4400hp/3300kW and allowing for transmission efficiency, the balancing speed for that TE is around 9-10mph. 13.7mph is too high, as speed x TE => more power than the rated engine power. Also I've seen mentioned that the transition from the adhesion limited to power limited parts of the TE vs speed curve is about 8-10mph for an AC4400CW, which ties in with the 166,000 lbs (738kN) @ 9-10mph numbers.

As for dry versus wet rails performance, for the ES44AC/AC4400CW I've seen mentioned 40% dry and 35% wet 'factor of adhesion' (percentage of driving axle weights translated into tractive effort). From memory, a good classic DC drive is around 25% 'factor of adhesion'. Note the higher TE and power-at-rail performance of AC drives is a combination of things as hwl said in post #940.

(If anyone is interested in this stuff, the November 2006 (US) Trains magazine has an article called 'CSX's Mountain Climbers'. It's about improving the low-speed TE performance, particularly in bad weather, of AC4400CW locos by increasing the weight to 196 tonnes and improving the traction control performance in varying rail conditions. At the end of the development program, each axle could produce up to 36,000lbs/160kN of TE with an overall loco limit (for coupler stress reasons) of 200,000lbs/890kN. I just find this a phenomenal level of steel wheel on rail performance...)

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
Correct.

I've looked at other sources of information for the ES44AC and it's predecessor AC4400CW, which has basically the same electrical equipment and engine power.

If we assume the 'Tractive Effort (continuous): 166,000 lbs' is correct (as the loco can definitely produce that and more at very low speeds), taking the engine power 'available for traction' as 4400hp/3300kW and allowing for transmission efficiency, the balancing speed for that TE is around 9-10mph. 13.7mph is too high, as speed x TE => more power than the rated engine power. Also I've seen mentioned that the transition from the adhesion limited to power limited parts of the TE vs speed curve is about 8-10mph for an AC4400CW, which ties in with the 166,000 lbs (738kN) @ 9-10mph numbers.

As for dry versus wet rails performance, for the ES44AC/AC4400CW I've seen mentioned 40% dry and 35% wet 'factor of adhesion' (percentage of driving axle weights translated into tractive effort). From memory, a good classic DC drive is around 25% 'factor of adhesion'. Note the higher TE and power-at-rail performance of AC drives is a combination of things as hwl said in post #940.

(If anyone is interested in this stuff, the November 2006 (US) Trains magazine has an article called 'CSX's Mountain Climbers'. It's about improving the low-speed TE performance, particularly in bad weather, of AC4400CW locos by increasing the weight to 196 tonnes and improving the traction control performance in varying rail conditions. At the end of the development program, each axle could produce up to 36,000lbs/160kN of TE with an overall loco limit (for coupler stress reasons) of 200,000lbs/890kN. I just find this a phenomenal level of steel wheel on rail performance...)
Very much in theory then a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement could give over 100,000lbs of TE but it would have a huge axle loading that would not be permitted here? Not sure what axle loading is on a 93, around 21 tons? Be interesting to see what one can achieve on wet rails up Shap?!! How do 88s fare under those conditions? Did someone say 93s have better adhesion characteristics, if so should be more than capable? Would imagine AC drives mean wheelslip is well controlled as AC motors speed up due to frequency and if that's limited theoretically so is wheelslip?

ac6000cw

Established Member
Very much in theory then a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement could give over 100,000lbs of TE but it would have a huge axle loading that would not be permitted here?
Correct. In fact there is a cheaper, four driven axles, A1A-A1A version of the ES44AC which is rated at 144,000 lbs starting, 105,000lbs continuous TE (I don't know at what speed).

AFAIK the 68/88/93 are rated at around 6700lbs/300kN of max TE with a 21.5 tonne axle load. Per axle, this is higher than a 66 but lower than a cl. 60 or 70 at very low speeds.

Would imagine AC drives mean wheelslip is well controlled as AC motors speed up due to frequency and if that's limited theoretically so is wheelslip?
That's basically correct, but also a factor is how well the traction system deals with weight transfer effects between axles and different/varying rail head conditions on each axle e.g. in poor weather the leading axles encounter worse railhead conditions than trailing ones (which benefit from the leading axles drying out the railhead).

Last edited:

Suraggu

Looks like loaded test runs from Thursday.

bahnause

Very much in theory then a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement could give over 100,000lbs of TE but it would have a huge axle loading that would not be permitted here? Not sure what axle loading is on a 93, around 21 tons? Be interesting to see what one can achieve on wet rails up Shap?!! How do 88s fare under those conditions? Did someone say 93s have better adhesion characteristics, if so should be more than capable? Would imagine AC drives mean wheelslip is well controlled as AC motors speed up due to frequency and if that's limited theoretically so is wheelslip?

Wheelslip protection has come a long way since the first ‘primitive’ systems. Today's AC locomotives often have very complex software for controlling (not necessarily eliminating) slip. The natural ‘good-natured’ behaviour of AC motors doesn't even has come into play that much. Depending on the condition of the track and speed, the amount of slip required (yes, you do want wheelslip) to maximise adhesion varies. There is also the comfort factor, the maximum utilisation of adhesion due to the constant rapid changes in tractive force is not always comfortable. Some vehicles even allow the driver to adjust the maximum slip as required:

If there is no or only a small difference between the requested and the currently
tractive or braking force, the adhesion control tends to work more defensively.
more defensive. The locomotive runs with little or no slip.

If there is a greater difference between the requested and the current tractive or braking force, the adhesion control tends to work more aggressively and, utilising the maximum possible slip, constantly seeks the best possible tractive or braking force.

This does not override physics, but it does allow it to be utilised as effectively as possible.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
Those high level orange jumper sockets (??) really do look like devil eyes!

Bryson

250 tonnes according to TOPS.
I guess this answers the doubters who said it could never move a train in diesel mode :lol:. Didn't someone say it couldn't even move its self? :rolleyes:

(Before I get shot down - yes, I know this isn't a heavy Freight and that the location isn't Shap)

The location appears to be the overbridge at Bernard road. The 93 is making the climb up from Nunnery Mainline Junction towards Woodburn Junction.

Last edited:

Suraggu

I guess this answers the doubters who said it could never move a train in diesel mode :lol:. Didn't someone say it couldn't even move its self? :rolleyes:

(Before I get shot down - yes, I know this isn't a heavy Freight and that the location isn't Shap)

The location appears to be the overbridge at Bernard road. The 93 is making the climb up from Nunnery Mainline Junction towards Woodburn Junction.
Those people who said that will now turn and say 'It's doesn't have any prospective customers'.

Getting a new locomotive certified is a feat in itself and is more complex than an 88 so not surprising its taken time to get to this point.

Last edited: