• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collision and derailment near Salisbury (Fisherton Tunnel) 31/10/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
It looks to me like the GWR has been coming around the corner off the junction and the SWR has then hit it while both trains were still moving. It doesn't look like it has happened at a particularly high speed, possibly indicating the SWR had the brake in emergency at the time but for whatever reason (railhead conditions?) has failed to stop.

This would explain why the TPWS hasn't stopped the SWR if the route wasn't set for it - the leaf fall contamination of course preventing the brake from being effective.

bengley

Established Member
We’re supposed to press the emergency call button and make a railway emergency call, when you press that button all signals in that area are supposed to go to danger, if you can’t get a call through for whatever reason it’s clips and dets and a nice walk.
The red button doesn't return signals to danger!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
We’re supposed to press the emergency call button and make a railway emergency call, when you press that button all signals in that area are supposed to go to danger, if you can’t get a call through for whatever reason it’s clips and dets and a nice walk.
I don't believe it does anything to the signals. It just sends a message to all the other receivers in the area (trains, signaller and control)

Ken H

On Moderation
Thanks

westcoaster

Established Member
If you were evacuating, you wouldn’t take the time to carefully make up the gangway, secure all the doors away etc, they’d just be flung open and get out. Also given the headlights on the significantly more damaged 159 are still illuminated I’d expect the same on the 158 had it been leading.

The header picture on the BBC site last night at some point had the SWR unit displaying hazard signal on rear; I believe it was shared upthread.
I belie
can the driver not send a general alert message just by pressing a button? If he knew his train was derailed towards another running line? What is the procedure if he suspects his train is fouling another line?
press the Big RED Emergency stop button, will stop all other movements in the area.

Did anyone else see the sky news helicopter footage from overhead. You can clearly see the point of impact. Looks to be at the back of the 3rd coach of the GWR unit by the internal gangway.
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1455213803596091399?t=yb4sQaLAuCM9nJSSU_jP4g&s=19 at 16 seconds in.

quattromatt

My pleasure.

I don't believe it does anything to the signals. It just sends a message to all the other receivers in the area (trains, signaller and control)
There’s an instruction that anyone who inadvertently presses the emergency button they must speak to the signaller as the signals in that cell will go to danger, or so I was told on my GSM-R course at rugby a few years ago, I’m happy to be corrected as everyday is a school day as they say.

Established Member
Yes, flung open quickly, not carefully stowed away; as the picture shows.
The picture might have been taken after the evacuation had taken place, or given the amount of people at the scene one of them could have stowed the door away while others entered the train to attend to passengers. If the passengers being evacuated had difficulty walking because the train was on an angle or they were injured then stowing it to give them a clear path might have made sense since there was not a fire or anything else to make the evacuation rushed.

dosxuk

Established Member
Where? The only footage of flashing lights is of the SWR train.
The Daily Mail article linked earlier in the thread had video of the SWR train dark but the GWR flashing. If they've got it, it'll almost certainly have been from an agency so could be seen in various places.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Whilst I agree that the precise facts aren't know, RTT shows 1F30 as having passed Dean late at 18:35.5 and, if that's correct, 1F30 would only have had time to reach Tunnel Junction at 18:42 when the accident occurred (and, in particular, it couldn't have arrived and stopped at 18:38 which I recall was reported in the paper). I'm sure that the Daily Mail's story about it waiting for 5+ minutes can't be correct in any way. My thinking is that both trains were moving at the time of the collision, and that 1F30 was first to arrive at the same place.
RTT shows 1F30 passing Tunnel Junction at 1841.75, and 1L53 at Laverstoke North Junction 15 seconds earlier (n.b times are only given to the nearest quarter minute)

Saracen_83

I can assure you, making a Rec call does NOT put the signals to red/danger……

what it does do, is call all GSMRs in its cell area including all drivers, signaller, adjacent signallers and control. The trains will be brought to a stand, and will not move until the signaller gives them the authority to do so….

the only signals put to danger would be any that the signaller deems necessary to protect the area that the incident is in if it is deemed necessary to do so.

rebmcr

Established Member
There is a plausible sequence of events which I don't believe anyone else has highlighted yet:

• Route set for the SWR
• GWR fails to stop at the protecting signal due to leaf fall, and activates hazard lighting
Then one of two possibilities:
• GWR comes to a stop fouling the junction that SWR is proceeding towards, with no time to stop
• GWR and SWR collide while both in motion, again with no time to stop

quattromatt

Yes it doesn't return signals to danger but the signaller can choose to do this if they feel it's necessary
I obviously know nothing about GSM-R then, but I never mastered the NRN either.

Not everyone is going to know. A normal person could quite reasonably refer to the emergency stop button as a panic button
Well it’s an emergency call button so now they do know.

Established Member
There is a plausible sequence of events which I don't believe anyone else has highlighted yet:

• Route set for the SWR
• GWR fails to stop at the protecting signal due to leaf fall, and activates hazard lighting
• GWR comes to a stop fouling the junction that SWR is proceeding towards, with no time to stop
And if the points changed under the rear carriage of the GWR train then that caused it to derail in the tunnel.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

• Route set for the SWR
That isn’t supported by a picture in a very early post (#17) made last night, that shows that the GWR is the train with its route set as far as the signalling berth in the tunnel.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

• Route set for the SWR

That to me seems like the most plausible situation, but I’d probably go for your latter suggestion that they were both in motion and the force of the crash separated the 158s with the front one staying on the track.
This must have all happened very fast with very little time for anyone to react if so.
Purely conjecture obviously.

rebmcr

Established Member
That isn’t supported by a picture in a very early post last night that shows that the GWR is the train with its route set as far as the signalling berth in the tunnel.
Ah OK. That would be why noone else had discussed it then!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
But what we can see from pictures of the tunnel entrance is that the rear carriage of the GWR train derailed and hit the tunnel wall and then the SWR train immediately behind it collided with it and was deflected onto the other line coming to rest at a 45 degree angle with the rear carriage still on the rails.
I don't think we can conclude that things happened in that order.
I don’t understand how only the rear carriage can derail and not the front ones
If it was hit by the SWR train?

JN114

Established Member
The picture might have been taken after the evacuation had taken place, or given the amount of people at the scene one of them could have stowed the door away while others entered the train to attend to passengers. If the passengers being evacuated had difficulty walking because the train was on an angle or they were injured then stowing it to give them a clear path might have made sense since there was not a fire or anything else to make the evacuation rushed.

I guess they could have done.

Or it was a 4 car 158, which has been posted by many industry insiders over and again on this thread (including myself).

The person I was originally replying to was asking for proof; that’s the best that can be garnered from what is already shared.

r1_biker

Could this be a repeat of the Fareham incident ?

Train in a full on slide, realised it was not going to get stopped at the Red so pressed the red emergency button stopping all trains and these two trains ended up at the same point ?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Did anyone else see the sky news helicopter footage from overhead. You can clearly see the point of impact. Looks to be at the back of the 3rd coach of the GWR unit by the internal gangway.
To be really pedantic, it seems to have missed the majority of the carriage end and taken out the van/toilet area.

Status
Not open for further replies.