• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic “Things you like” (i.e things that please you in a lighthearted way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
There are extra brownie points if you catch up with them at the entrance to a roundabout with 2 lanes, just as a gap appears that is big enough when you are already moving, but not if you zoomed up to the junction and had to come to a standstill.
And then unleash all 67hp your car has (or used to!) as they try to overtake you again on the roundabout!

You'll be pleased to hear: yes!
I am indeed pleased!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
And then unleash all 67hp your car has (or used to!) as they try to overtake you again on the roundabout!

I am indeed pleased!
It may have cost more in laundrette fees throughout the trip, than it would on a bigger bag, but it was also very convenient for carrying about, so all around I felt satisfied. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I guess I am quite weird for doing my 80+ day trip with just a small Ryanair-Approved™ backpack? :lol:

Fair enough, I don't usually have time for cleaning clothes when away on my adventures so I prefer to take a bigger bag with enough clothing to avoid such a thing.

Doing such a trip with such a small bag, kudos to you!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There are extra brownie points if you catch up with them at the entrance to a roundabout with 2 lanes, just as a gap appears that is big enough when you are already moving, but not if you zoomed up to the junction and had to come to a standstill.

With a bonus available if the person who overtook you is in one lane, stopped, and you re-overtake them by entering the roundabout at speed in the other lane due to your excellent anticipation of traffic movement.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Dreading the arrival of the final bill from your previous (now bust) electricity supplier, only to find an envelope behind the door containing a cheque for 'your credit balance'.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Dreading the arrival of the final bill from your previous (now bust) electricity supplier, only to find an envelope behind the door containing a cheque for 'your credit balance'.
Now you're talking fiction!?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What use is a (rubber) cheque from a (now bust) previous electricity supplier? :(

Listening to the Shipping Forecast read by Neil Nunes on a stormy winter evening with a cozy fire and a glass of wine or whisky or whiskey. Bliss!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Listening to the Shipping Forecast read by Neil Nunes on a stormy winter evening with a cozy fire and a glass of wine or whisky or whiskey. Bliss!

Preferably preceded by a full length playing of Sailing By.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Preferably preceded by a full length playing of Sailing By.
Even better with Bells on Sunday before that too (technically, early on a Monday morning.) I'm happy with John Hammond or Neil Nunes reading it, the former having been a meteoroligist and still a campanoligist apparently.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Even better with Bells on Sunday before that too (technically, early on a Monday morning.) I'm happy with John Hammond or Neil Nunes reading it, the former having been a meteoroligist and still a campanoligist apparently.

Ah yes, I like bells on Sunday, but living in a mid terrace I find myself swiftly turning it down so as not to wake the neighbours !

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ah yes, I like bells on Sunday, but living in a mid terrace I find myself swiftly turning it down so as not to wake the neighbours !
I don't have to worry about neighbours, so I declaim 'ding dong, ding dong' to my parrot who's nodding vigorously on his perch in time with the bells. When it's finished he knows the cover goes on his cage for the night. Passes for entertainment at my time in life!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't have to worry about neighbours, so I declaim 'ding dong, ding dong' to my parrot who's nodding vigorously on his perch in time with the bells. When it's finished he knows the cover goes on his cage for the night. Passes for entertainment at my time in life!
They're lovely, but not as lovely as Sailing By to my mind :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They're lovely, but not as lovely as Sailing By to my mind :)
It's been chosen so many times on Desert Island Discs. There was a time some years back when it only got played once(?) a week, but I seem to remember there was a campaign to get it reinstated, partly on the basis that the elderly widow of the composer(?) relied on the royalties. I may have got the story scrambled but there's truth in there somewhere. :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's been chosen so many times on Desert Island Discs. There was a time some years back when it only got played once(?) a week, but I seem to remember there was a campaign to get it reinstated, partly on the basis that the elderly widow of the composer(?) relied on the royalties. I may have got the story scrambled but there's truth in there somewhere. :)
It's a proper tune !

I'm glad the widow gets her royalties, but the tune goes beyond that and is amazing of itself !

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I’ve got a customer who’s parrot mimics various things including the bread maker. I do rather like it I must say!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is more serious than comedic, but knowing that from today the hours of daylight will gradually increase again. #rollonsummer :)

DelW

Established Member
Afternoons have been getting lighter (slightly!) for a week or so now - earliest sunset was around the 12th. But mornings will still get darker until the latest sunrise around the end of this month.
The 21st has the shortest gap between sunrise and sunset, but not the latest or earliest respectively.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 21st has the shortest gap between sunrise and sunset, but not the latest or earliest respectively.
As I write, the ancient festival of Montol (introduced in 2006 or thereabouts) is taking place in Penzance, mostly outside where I live, with much tuneless bashing of drums and show-offs parading around as though they were at a pagan Venice Carnival. I really don't think the darkest day needs celebrating, as though there wasn't enough darkness in the world.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I agree, I wouldn't celebrate the darkest day of the year. Good grief no, but what I do make a small celebration of is the fact spring is on the way and I will soon not need to wait until nearly 9am for the sun to fully make an appearance! Nor will I soon have to finish any cycle rides by half 3 before the darkness gets too much, I hate cycling in the dark!

I was at a place called Arthur's Stone on the Summer Solstice, and had a family of drum-bangers etc up there which really rather ruined the experience of resting at a place with excellent views of Herefordshire. Some rather nasty gradients in all directions to get to it, so after the big climb up to the area I was keen to have a good bit of peace and quiet while I recovered. Certainly didn't get that! :rolleyes:

Something nice for this list though:

Doing a course on a subject you're interested in and finding related topics in said course that are more interesting than you expected them to be :D

And, while I waited for my phone to charge this morning, I had this pleasure:

The sheer satisfaction from a good tidy-up/de-clutter/epic cleaning spree!

Peter C

Established Member
Something which happened to me yesterday - getting a message from a friend saying "I think I might need your modelling expertise" when confronted with a tricky Christmas present to build :)

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.