• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksoul27

Ok just wanted some feedback as earlier this year I applied for a trainee driver position with FCC and passed all the tests but failed at the final hurdle on the managers interview which I accepted as I know nerves got the better of me on the day but was happy I passed tests.

So a couple of months later trainee positions for Southern came up and filled in application and put that I had passed all tests with another TOC apart from managers interview and yet I did even make it passed application stage.

So was wondering is this normal for 2 TOC to differ that much from being happy with my examples and one not as this second application left me really confused.

Again any feedback most welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

Yes it is normal. Not only that - the same application form submitted 10 times to the same TOC would probably make it through on some occasions - but be knocked back on others.
There's no foolproof way to pass the sift: different members of HR reading the same form will interpret the suitability differently; and then there's the competition from other candidates which varies with every wave of applications. A pinch of luck is always required I believe.
All you can do is keep trying, maybe tweaking your application and double-triple checking the spelling and grammar.
I applied for FTPE last year at the same time as Northern who are now my current employer - and they used a god awful spellchecker on their online application software which was set to 'American'. It incorrectly flagged up multiple "errors" which weren't actually spelling mistakes according to the Queen's English: but thinking I knew better I ignored it and put the correct spelling of words hoping it might make it far enough down the chain to be read by a human. It didn't.
Anyway, the same application form eventually resulted in a driving job with Northern - and im glad it did.

Vicpaul

I made a point of submitting a different application every time. I am lucky enough to have a heap of competencies I can use. Fortunately southern were the quickest so that's where I went

first_ade

Ok just wanted some feedback as earlier this year I applied for a trainee driver position with FCC and passed all the tests but failed at the final hurdle on the managers interview which I accepted as I know nerves got the better of me on the day but was happy I passed tests.

Again any feedback most welcome.

I have recently had a similar experience, got through all the tests well but failed on the final driver manager interview.....not sure why, I've asked for feedback but haven't heard a dicky bird and not expecting to tbh the toc was pretty slow and understaffed ....

There are some other trainee opportunities now open, can I apply or is the 6 month rule in the way?

daddy_badger

you can apply and if you have passed the assessment process (dm interview does not form part of the assessment) but you cannot take another assessment within 6months regardless of a pass or fail. I would apply as you already have a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.