• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Consecutive stations with no direct service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Which is the whole problem of a Newcastle - Edinburgh local service, the only place it can allow other trains to pass in a station is Dunbar. (Not much good Northbound either).

In a perfect world the local service would call at:
Edinburgh, Drem, Dunbar, Berwick-On-Tweed, Chathill, Alnmouth, Aklington, Widdrington, Pegswood, Morpeth, Cramlington and Newcastle.

However it would be impossible to path even with 125mph stock or would spend a lot of time sat in loops in the middle of no-where. I suspect this is why Alnmouth gets such a poor local service at the moment.

You'd stop an hourly train at Drem/ Chathill/ Aklington/ Widdrington, but not places like Mussleburgh?

Any "additional" service from Edinburgh to Newcastle should mean the following:

1. Replace the Newcastle - Morpeth Pacer (by ensuring that Cramlington and Morpeth have an hourly service)

2. Take the East Coast London service down to one an hour in the hours that the "stopper" operates" to make paths easier (you can retain a half hourly London - Edinburgh service, or have an hourly "stopper" between Newcastle and Edinburgh, but not at the same time)

3. I could see more logic in extending an existing other service (e.g. Manchester Airport - Newcastle, Middlesbrough - Newcastle, Glasgow - Edinburgh) than a stand alone train

4. If ScotRail get to use DMUs as a stand alone brand new service under the wires (whilst Northern struggle for capacity, partly since ScotRail have those 158s on a "permenant loan") then I despair

5. I thought East Coast pulling out of Glasgow wouldn't change the number of East Coast services between London/ Newcastle and Edinburgh?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
You'd stop an hourly train at Drem/ Chathill/ Aklington/ Widdrington, but not places like Mussleburgh?

Any "additional" service from Edinburgh to Newcastle should mean the following:

1. Replace the Newcastle - Morpeth Pacer (by ensuring that Cramlington and Morpeth have an hourly service)

2. Take the East Coast London service down to one an hour in the hours that the "stopper" operates" to make paths easier (you can retain a half hourly London - Edinburgh service, or have an hourly "stopper" between Newcastle and Edinburgh, but not at the same time)

3. I could see more logic in extending an existing other service (e.g. Manchester Airport - Newcastle, Middlesbrough - Newcastle, Glasgow - Edinburgh) than a stand alone train

4. If ScotRail get to use DMUs as a stand alone brand new service under the wires (whilst Northern struggle for capacity, partly since ScotRail have those 158s on a "permenant loan") then I despair

5. I thought East Coast pulling out of Glasgow wouldn't change the number of East Coast services between London/ Newcastle and Edinburgh?

To be honest I hadn't thought about the stations between Drem and Edinburgh simply because they have the North Berwick service, or I could have said make a new stations at East Linton? (That place between Dunbar and Drem that they keep saying needs a station). The other stations have no alternatives.

But my understanding is the same as yours the number of East Coast services between Newcastle and Edinburgh will not decrease.

I think the pattern is something like.

1000 London calling at places like Doncaster, Newark and Peterborough
1005 XC
1030 London Express,
1105 XC
1130 London Express

So the paths on the ECML are tight. Apart from some tweaks and the loss of the Lincoln services I think Eureka will not be a lot different to what was published back in December.

sonic2009

Established Member
Could you say cheltenham spa to cam and dursley? I kno you have services from cheltenham to cam and dursley via gloucester , but gloucester is off the main line??

scrapy

Established Member
Would Davenport and Navigation Rd be one using the Limestone freight route?

Don't you mean Chinley to Navigation Rd? Davenport to Navigation Rd would require reversal on Stockport viaduct, requiring you to pass through Stockport station twice.

The freight route from Hazel Grove through to Northenden doesn't see passenger services.

pemma

Veteran Member
Don't you mean Chinley to Navigation Rd? Davenport to Navigation Rd would require reversal on Stockport viaduct, requiring you to pass through Stockport station twice.

The freight route from Hazel Grove through to Northenden doesn't see passenger services.

I wasn't sure exactly where the freight trains left the Buxton line. I knew they don't pass Stockport.

I thought the idea was two stations that are consecutive i.e. not requiring a reversal, that aren't linked by a passenger train, so whether it's freight only or a passenger services only is irrelevant.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would Davenport and Navigation Rd be one using the Limestone freight route?
Davenport to Navigation Road has been lifted. I'll give you Chinley to Navigation Road though!
I don't understand what you're saying? The route in question avoids Hazel Grove.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If trains to MUFC Halt don't call at Deansgate (I am unsure how to check that), which I can certainly believe, then I don't see why not!

imagination

Pewsey -> Bruton

They are adjacent stations along the line travelled by trains that arent stopping between, say, Reading and Taunton, as both Westbury and Frome stations are not actually on the main line.

Geezertronic

Established Member
How about Polesworth to Atherstone?

Ok, there is a Parliamentary train that runs once a day the reverse way but since the Southbound (island?) platform is apparently isolated due to the footbridge not being replaced during the Trent Valley upgrades, there's no point having a service anyway :D

richard1976

as merseyrail only run one way round the liverpool loop

Liverpool James Street and Liverpool central
Liverpool central and Liverpool lime street
Liverpool lime street and Moorfields
Moorfields and Liverpool James street

Bakerbloke

Yes you can go from Chinley to Hazel Grove on the 0803 then wait 22 hours to get the next service back to Chinley (at 0607). Great for those who do long office hours.

Remind me how you get from Stockport to Reddish South if you don't want to travel on a Friday?

NXEA!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Brundall (or Brundall Gardens can't remember which ones closest to Norwich! :lol: ) to Diss be one via the Norwich avoiding curve? :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Brundall (or Brundall Gardens can't remember which ones closest to Norwich! :lol: ) to Diss be one via the Norwich avoiding curve? :)

Think it has to be an operational regularly-used passenger line :D

trc666

What examples do we have on our network of stations adjacent to each other on passenger lines that do not receive direct services between each other?

One example I can think of is Pinhoe and St. James Park. SWT services normally run non-stop to Exeter Central to and from Pinhoe.

Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Pen Mill would not count as there is not normally a scheduled passenger service on the chord.

gnolife

Established Member
This seems to come up quite regularly.

Gorton and Fairfield.
Deansgate and Eccles (I think)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Berwick-upon-Tweed and Chathill, Rose Grove and Burnley Mancr Rd, Warrington BQ and Acton Bridge and Kirknewton and Lockerbie all spring to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.