• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could LNER use two Class 91 locomotives powering together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Could 2 Class 91’s be used on formation to help with acceleration?
I think this has been discussed before and it was told that there would be no difference as there can only ever be one 91 working at once. The other would be effectively dead - so would only add weight.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Could 2 Class 91’s be used on formation to help with acceleration?

Firstly I'm not sure if the power supply can cope with that everywhere, secondly you'd need an additional TOE vehicle in each set to couple the other 91 to the coaches with unless you just left the DVTs in the sets.

thealm

Bringing this back up I saw a video on YouTube where two 91’s with both pantographs were being prepared for testing on the Midland Mainline on the East Coast Mainline. So two 91’s working together can work on the East Coast. Can this now be applied to passenger service.

NOT MY VIDEO-CREDITS TO OWNER.

CBlue

Bringing this back up I saw a video on YouTube where two 91’s with both pantographs were being prepared for testing on the Midland Mainline on the East Coast Mainline. So two 91’s working together can work on the East Coast. Can this now be applied to passenger service.

NOT MY VIDEO-CREDITS TO OWNER.

The 91's weren't powering - a thread elsewhere on the forum stated they were being used to test the OHLE.

Reasons they can't be used in pairs in passenger service have been mentioned above!

Last edited:

thealm

The 91's weren't powering - a thread elsewhere on the forum stated they were being used to test the OHLE.

Reasons they can't be used in pairs in passenger service have been mentioned above!
Thanks, didn’t know they weren’t powering.

Status
Not open for further replies.