• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
How the hell else could the b117 strain have arrived here but from international travel?
That doesn't mean we could have stopped it; indeed the general consensus before this pandemic was that border restrictions were not worth bothering with, due to the high costs and low effectiveness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m prepared to accept Irish government public health advice and recommendations on this rather than something on a message board.
It doesn't seem awfully productive to post here if you simply dismiss out of hand what non-government entities say.

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m prepared to accept Irish government public health advice and recommendations on this rather than something on a message board.
Why not spend some time doing research, and come back and tell us if you stand by this claim.

The evidence is quite clear, as @Watershed states, that many (if not all) of the common mutations that lead to new variants of “concern” arising.

For example, the E484K mutation is present in B.1.1.7 (originating in the UK), B.1.351 (originating in South Africa), and P.1 (originating in Brazil) - this demonstrates that the evolution of the virus is taking a similar course regardless of its location.

I know it seems the obvious, right thing to do to trust the government, but do some research and you will see that what they say isn’t always strictly the case (in many cases, it’s miles off).

Ediswan

Established Member
For example, the E484K mutation is present in B.1.1.7 (originating in the UK), B.1.351 (originating in South Africa), and P.1 (originating in Brazil) - this demonstrates that the evolution of the virus is taking a similar course regardless of its location.

I know it seems the obvious, right thing to do to trust the government, but do some research and you will see that what they say isn’t always strictly the case (in many cases, it’s miles off).
That is the key difference. Specific mutations appear independently in multiple places. The full genome of a variant is far less likely to do so, to the extent I don't recall ever seeing a claim that it has happened. Hence, I see no problem with the Irish goverment saying that the B.1.1.7 variant arrived from abroad.

TravelDream

A couple of the newspapers are now briefing that the green list is going to be pretty large and include all the main European destinations (France, Spain, Greece etc).

If so, that's pretty good news. Still, I think the testing restrictions are too burdensome for many.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
A couple of the newspapers are now briefing that the green list is going to be pretty large and include all the main European destinations (France, Spain, Greece etc).

If so, that's pretty good news. Still, I think the testing restrictions are too burdensome for many.

Yeah I agree. It means that when I come back from Spain, I won't have to self isolate for 10 days and pay for a third test.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

I think mandatory pre-departure test is a good idea, but I do agree with you that there is no need for a further test once you came back. If you tested negative, then you tested negative full stop.

ExRes

Established Member
I think mandatory pre-departure test is a good idea, but I do agree with you that there is no need for a further test once you came back. If you tested negative, then you tested negative full stop.

Perhaps I'm being a little sleepy here, but are you saying that a person should have a test before going abroad to visit a country which probably has a lower vaccination rate and higher infection rate, but not require a test on return as if you've tested negative once you'll always be negative?

TravelDream

Perhaps I'm being a little sleepy here, but are you saying that a person should have a test before going abroad to visit a country which probably has a lower vaccination rate and higher infection rate, but not require a test on return as if you've tested negative once you'll always be negative?

I think he means have a test before departing the country, but not on arrival. i.e Take a test in say Spain before you come back, but not another when you get to the UK.

My main worry about testing is price, practicality and convenience.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

No, I meant when arriving in the UK. Leaving the UK should be up to the arrival country's rules, though I do agree with mandatory negative test as entry to a country to try and help reduce infections.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I think he means have a test before departing the country, but not on arrival. i.e Take a test in say Spain before you come back, but not another when you get to the UK.

My main worry about testing is price, practicality and convenience.
Correct, that's what I meant.

Butts

Veteran Member
Why don't the Government subsidise the cost of the tests by using the revenue raised from APD ?

As I understand it is not hypothecated just slung in the general pot !!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Why don't the Government subsidise the cost of the tests by using the revenue raised from APD ?

Yeah I agree with you. Tests should be either free or if not, cheap and affordable.

island

Veteran Member

APD is £13 per passenger on short-haul flights, which would not go especially far.

I understand they are looking to waive VAT on the cost of tests, however.

Butts

Veteran Member
APD is £13 per passenger on short-haul flights, which would not go especially far.

I understand they are looking to waive VAT on the cost of tests, however.

if they bought in Bulk it would more than cover the cost particularly at the Higher Rates of APD - check out the Business Class ones on Long Haul.

I think they should let UK Citizens who have only been in the UK prior to travelling to Ireland in without any testing from May17th.

After all we do have a right enshrined in Law to live and work there with no restrictions as they have in the UK.

Irish Citizens are permitted to enter the UK without any testing or other barriers notwithstanding their higher prevalence of covid.

Our infection rates are lower so it hardly presents a greater risk than Inter- Ireland travel by the populace.

Perhaps if they are concerned about disease escalation look to Jersey for guidance on how to manage entry in the CTA.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
if they bought in Bulk it would more than cover the cost particularly at the Higher Rates of APD - check out the Business Class ones on Long Haul.
But this thread is not about long-haul, it is about Europe.
I think they should let UK Citizens who have only been in the UK prior to travelling to Ireland in without any testing from May17th.

After all we do have a right enshrined in Law to live and work there with no restrictions as they have in the UK.

Irish Citizens are permitted to enter the UK without any testing or other barriers notwithstanding their higher prevalence of covid.
True, though somewhat of an irrelevance at present as Irish citizens are for the most part not permitted to leave Ireland.
Our infection rates are lower so it hardly presents a greater risk than Inter- Ireland travel by the populace.
I agree, though at the moment they do not seem concerned even about the constitutional rights of Irish citizens to enter and re-enter the country without any hindrance. I understand a small number of cases are working their way through the Irish High Court process on the matter.
Perhaps if they are concerned about disease escalation look to Jersey for guidance on how to manage entry in the CTA.
Jersey is considerably smaller and the island contains only a single jurisdiction.

Mintona

Established Member
I’ve booked a weekend in Munich in February. I’m not holding out much hope of being allowed to visit however.

packermac

I assume not France as it was reported on the lunchtime news that France is not allowing people from the UK to attend the D Day event on June 6.

Freightmaster

Established Member
...it was reported on the lunchtime news that France is not allowing people from the UK to attend the D Day event on June 6.
Why not? Did they not get the memo that the UK is no longer the "sick man of Europe"?! ;)

MARK

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Am sure they'll be letting people in before then. Bloody hope so anyway, I've got a week booked in Berlin before Christmas!
So have I. I'm on the fence about whether we will be able to go but I'm optimistic at the moment!

Maybe I'm more on the fence about whether the restrictions in place at the time will make it worth going. I'm fairly certain we will be able to go.

ExRes

Established Member
I assume not France as it was reported on the lunchtime news that France is not allowing people from the UK to attend the D Day event on June 6.

As of this moment the Ministere De L'Europe Et Des Affaires Etrangeres website states quite clearly that UK nationals can enter France and must self isolate for seven days, as must nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and South Korea

Class 33

Established Member
I’ve booked a weekend in Munich in February. I’m not holding out much hope of being allowed to visit however.

Next February?! I would think way before then we'll be allowed to visit and ideally without any social distancing and face masks restrictions by then.

I'm hoping to do a short break to Germany or the Netherlands around October/November. Am very hopeful that will be able to go ahead without any hassly nuisance restrictions.

WestCoast

Established Member
I think people will need to be mindful of the local situation where they intend on going, a lot has changed since last summer and there’s some countries in Europe particularly of the warm and sunny variety that aren’t all that pleasant on the restrictions front.

I was visiting my parents who live in the Canaries last December before the third full UK lockdown (and partly into it as well) and face masks are to be worn everywhere outdoors in Spain. Some politicians there were even arguing over whether you had to wear one between “bites and sips” at a restaurant or bar. If you’re exempt then you need to carry written proof in Spanish or the police won’t think twice about giving you an on the spot 50 euro fine.

They might let you in but you’ll be expected to follow whatever rules they have in play, even if they are ridiculous.

LAX54

Established Member
Probably copped the strops about fishing in the Channel Islands !

Butts

Veteran Member
I think people will need to be mindful of the local situation where they intend on going, a lot has changed since last summer and there’s some countries in Europe particularly of the warm and sunny variety that aren’t all that pleasant on the restrictions front.

I was visiting my parents who live in the Canaries last December before the third full UK lockdown (and partly into it as well) and face masks are to be worn everywhere outdoors in Spain. Some politicians there were even arguing over whether you had to wear one between “bites and sips” at a restaurant or bar. If you’re exempt then you need to carry written proof in Spanish or the police won’t think twice about giving you an on the spot 50 euro fine.

They might let you in but you’ll be expected to follow whatever rules they have in play, even if they are ridiculous.

Masks outdoors nothing new, had to do it in Italy last October.

Packet of Benson's soon cures that particular annoyance. :E

Status
Not open for further replies.