• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
I think they should let UK Citizens who have only been in the UK prior to travelling to Ireland in without any testing from May17th.

After all we do have a right enshrined in Law to live and work there with no restrictions as they have in the UK.

Irish Citizens are permitted to enter the UK without any testing or other barriers notwithstanding their higher prevalence of covid.

Our infection rates are lower so it hardly presents a greater risk than Inter- Ireland travel by the populace.

Perhaps if they are concerned about disease escalation look to Jersey for guidance on how to manage entry in the CTA.
If the UK government wants to restrict Irish people from entering the UK, they are perfectly free to do so. Why don't you ask them?

It's pretty much irrelevant, as it is not legal for Irish citizens to travel outside outside of the country except for essential reasons, and the Taoiseach has made it clear that this is unlikely to change until July at the earliest. Any Irish citizens who are travelling to Ireland are also subect to the requirement to self-isolate or indeed quarantine. Expecting UK citizens to get different treatment to Irish citizens is pushing things.

Being honest about it, I think the primary concern right now of the Irish Government is that of how to manage their own citizens, and not about potential visitors. Restrictions are only starting to be lifted next week. Irish people are only going to be able to travel outside of their own county around Ireland again from 10th May. Hotels are not reopening until 2nd June and bars/restaurants not until 7th June.

I really don't expect any change until July on this. I think it's clear that the Irish Government want to open Ireland up to Irish residents first, and tourists later, when a significant percentage of the Irish population is vaccinated.

I suspect that Irish Public Health legislation would trump the provisions of the CTA, especially as the CTA is an arrangement governed by a memorandum of understanding between the Irish & British governments. It is not enshrined in Law on the Irish Statute Book as you suggest.
I agree, though at the moment they do not seem concerned even about the constitutional rights of Irish citizens to enter and re-enter the country without any hindrance. I understand a small number of cases are working their way through the Irish High Court process on the matter.
I am pretty sure that in every case heard to date, the requirement to self-isolate has been upheld. I wouldn't be expecting too much from any other cases based on those results.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Yes. I see today that Oktoberfest has been cancelled. So yes, I think the chances of being allowed to visit in February are slim.
Germany is getting on with its vaccination programme they will be complete well before next February. Im still on even money for late Autumn this year.

Butts

Veteran Member
Germany is getting on with its vaccination programme they will be complete well before next February. Im still on even money for late Autumn this year.

Italy is opening up in June so I think Germany won't be far behind.

I am due to go to Düsseldorf in July I think it is.

Excellent news for anyone wanting to shop at M&S

Forget M&S - it's the booze and cigarettes
:E

kristiang85

Established Member
Yes. I see today that Oktoberfest has been cancelled. So yes, I think the chances of being allowed to visit in February are slim.
Oktoberfest is one thing - 8m people visit a city of 1.5m in a couple of weeks - so casual tourism is a different thing. Munich in February is miserable, though the beer is still amazing, so I fully expect you should be fine, as its not a pinch point in their tourist year.

Butts

Veteran Member
Or enjoy a pint or a glass of wine at the bar in Morrisons.

I was surprised to see Morrisons when I went 10 years ago - didn't have a Scooby it was in situ.

Apparently even the Apes shop there.

Even better - they are opening in May!

I binned my trip in early July due to the likely testing this end - It was free in Italy last year but I managed to swerve it.

Bologna will have to wait.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I was surprised to see Morrisons when I went 10 years ago - didn't have a Scooby it was in situ.

Apparently even the Apes shop there.

I binned my trip in early July due to the likely testing this end - It was free in Italy last year but I managed to swerve it.

Bologna will have to wait.

I plan to go to Italy in December. This summer I am planning to go to Spain.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Wait - so lighting up is a genuine exemption to wearing a mask outdoors? That f'kin ridiculous!
Try tell the Spanish to put down their cigs, even the Police there would baulk at that!

Wearing masks outdoors is f*kin ridiculous.
Indeed.

Likewise, and as it will be to a family owned property all we are waiting for is the green light. I've been keeping an eye on flights for the last couple of weeks. 10 minutes after a relaxation of travel rules and I'll be booked!!

Snow1964

Established Member
Just been confirmed that update on travel will be given at 5pm today at Downing Street briefing with Grant Shapps

So by evening will either have clarity on every travel detail, or detail will be as clear as mud

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Portugal, Gibraltar and Israel on green list but not France and Spain and Turkey is added to Red list.

Full list of Red, Amber & Green countries here but will reviewed every three weeks.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
The full list of 12 countries and territories people in England can travel to without having to quarantine upon return are:
  • Portugal
  • Israel
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Brunei
  • Iceland
  • Gibraltar
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  • St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island
Some of those will still presumably have their own entry restrictions, such as NZ and Australia?

nlogax

Established Member
The full list of 12 countries and territories people in England can travel to without having to quarantine upon return are:
  • Portugal
  • Israel
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Brunei
  • Iceland
  • Gibraltar
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
Some of those will still presumably have entry restrictions, such as NZ and Australia?

Some of those will still presumably have entry restrictions, such as NZ and Australia?

Absolutely this. An effective green list would take that side of the equation into account.

LAX54

Established Member
  • Portugal
  • Israel
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Brunei
  • Iceland
  • Gibraltar
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
Some of those will still presumably have their own entry restrictions, such as NZ and Australia?
NZ and Aussie off the menu in reality, so lets all vacate to the Falklands or South Georgia ! Bit of a nothing list really :(
and the Amber list is also a no no, as you are not allowed to go there for 'leisure' purpsoses.

ivorytoast28

• Portugal
  • Israel
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Brunei
  • Iceland
  • Gibraltar
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
Such a limited list that it seems pointless. We can't even go to most of them anyway. Assuming more are added later and we can actually be let in to say Germany/france/Belgium by June/July what will be the situation/cost associated with required tests for a Eurostar trip?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
as you are not allowed to go there for 'leisure' purpsoses
It's my understanding that the government will deign to let us leave for any country, without being accused of being criminals.

It's the returning that will stay inconvenient and costly for most countries.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Portugal and Israel seem to be the only two Green countries you can actually visit (ie they will let you in) which have railways.
The hotels/villas in Portugal will quickly sell out for the season.
Otherwise it's a question of waiting until the next 3-week update on international travel.
Ireland, while not restricted by the UK, as far as I can see is still closed to leisure travel.
And UK testing before and after a trip is still mandatory (plus whatever the foreign state imposes).
Airport delays guaranteed.
No respite for Eurostar in this announcement.
Ryanair and EasyJet will have to stand down loads of planes again until the European Green list expands.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Such a limited list that it seems pointless. We can't even go to most of them anyway. Assuming more are added later and we can actually be let in to say Germany/france/Belgium by June/July what will be the situation/cost associated with required tests for a Eurostar trip?
It says you should not go to Red/Amber countries for leisure purposes but doesn't say you must not and the advice is there about what you need to do if you do. So i can drive to Portugal through France and Spain on the way have to stop for rest and food! OK i have to self quarantine for 10 days when i get back.

What is yet to be published is the criteria there looking for to move up/down the Green/Amber but Portugal slightly above UK on case rates but they are quarter of what Spain is and 85% less than France. On vaccinations Portugal, Spain and France are all around 26% compared to UKs 51% so this appears its case rates that are driving this currently.

Whats curious is why Finland isn't on the list has vaccination rate 32% and a case rate of 37 vs Portugal's 35.

LAX54

Established Member
Portugal and Israel seem to be the only two Green countries you can actually visit (ie they will let you in) which have railways.
The hotels/villas in Portugal will quickly sell out for the season.
Otherwise it's a question of waiting until the next 3-week update on international travel.
Ireland, while not restricted by the UK, as far as I can see is still closed to leisure travel.
And UK testing before and after a trip is still mandatory (plus whatever the foreign state imposes).
Airport delays guaranteed.
No respite for Eurostar in this announcement.
Ryanair and EasyJet will have to stand down loads of planes again until the European Green list expands.
After all the hype, the green list seems a bit of a damp squib really ( to me anyway)

Yew

Established Member
No doubt that they will not be providing any evidence or justification that these measure work, are necessary, and are the least restrictive means possible. Yet more rule by decree from our tyrants.

Cdd89

Established Member
Looking at the “Cases in the last 7 days/1M pop” statistics, Portugal is the most Covid prevalent country of those in the green list at 240 cases. I’d be a bit concerned that some countries with lower uptake and thus higher endemicity will never meet that tough standard (looking at the USA, beginning to run out of people to vaccinate and at 974).

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I see today that Oktoberfest has been cancelled. So yes, I think the chances of being allowed to visit in February are slim.
Germany has actually allowed arrivals from the UK with no need to register nor self-isolate for over a week now, as it no longer considers the UK a risk area. You still need a test taken in the 48 hours before arrival, but a less expensive antigen test is OK. Of course you need to get 3-4 tests isolate for 5-10 days when you return to the UK...

Butts

Veteran Member

Good Choice.

The Republic of Italy had really lax Border Controls last year particularly in smaller arrival Airports such as Verona where we landed.

Perhaps things will have tightened up this year.

Have you ever been to Gibraltar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.