• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Sunak is hopeless and is purely reacting to the mutterings in the MSM and on social media - it is the way decisions are made now, who shouts the loudest on twitter.

Given that xenophobia is generally not seen as a desirable trait, I'm surprised people actually see it as socially acceptable to demand it on Twitter, which normally has a liberal/left-wing bias. The sort of sinophobia being exhibited here is neither liberal nor left-wing. Rather, it's the same kind of politics exhibited by Hard Brexit supporters or a certain Mr. D.Trump, I wonder if any of these twitterati realise that?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hans

Given that xenophobia is generally not seen as a desirable trait, I'm surprised people actually see it as socially acceptable to demand it on Twitter, which normally has a liberal/left-wing bias. The sort of sinophobia being exhibited here is neither liberal nor left-wing. Rather, it's the same kind of politics exhibited by Hard Brexit supporters or a certain Mr. D.Trump, I wonder if any of these twitterati realise that?
I also think the left v right situation is not part of this, those who called for more and more restrictions were more in the left wing camp (Labours call for longer and more draconian restrictions as an example) but are the first to call out any kind of persecution of any one nationality in any other situation other than all things covid. There are many who do not see the irony of their demands. I do not think it is xenophobic as such, it is yet more of the over reactions to covid.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
You may as well force all travellers to wear the paper hats from Christmas crackers and come off the plane doing the Conga - it would have the same effect but be more entertaining
Thanks for this. Made me laugh!

gabrielhj07

Such is the madness of testing restrictions that these people don't seem to realise the irony of their ways!

Citybreak1

Not to mention the monkeypox, the bird flu, the polio in the sewers, the immigrants bringing in diptheria, the RSV, the continual threats of bad flu...

Plus the energy shortages, the 'fuel shortages' last October, the supply chain disruptions, the two carbon dioxide shortages, the recent antibiotic shortages, and no doubt a hundred other things I've forgotten.

All on top of a continual background of a slow-motion economic catastrophe, an ongoing war that no-one appears to have any interest in trying to end, and a climate crisis.

It is all getting very pathetic. The media and the government seem to be constantly competing as to which can create the most fear and uncertainty in the population, in both cases seemingly to try and distract us from what a terrible job they are doing at the things they are actually supposed to be doing.

Going back to trying to stir up baseless panic about covid, particularly covid from China, is very difficult to look at as anything other than an expression of 'this is just about the only thing that's really worked recently to divide the population and distract it from examining what we're doing, let's see if we can get away with it again.'
I know we have a “nudge unit” but seems this wasn’t disbanded after Covid. Are we meant to be in a permanent state of fear? What’s with the governments PR machine? Would this happen under Labour?

Hans

Yes with Labour - remember they were all for longer and more draconian restrictions.

MikeWM

Established Member
Yes with Labour - remember they were all for longer and more draconian restrictions.

...who are also saying today that putting back the Online 'Safety' Bill provisions about banning 'legal but harmful' posts on the internet, is a top priority for them, and if they can't change that before it becomes law then it will be one of the first things they do in power.

Which would have meant that not only would be have had more restrictions than we suffered through under the Tories, but we wouldn't have been allowed to question anything about them either.

I really fear Labour forming a government in their current incarnation.

nedchester

Established Member
...who are also saying today that putting back the Online 'Safety' Bill provisions about banning 'legal but harmful' posts on the internet, is a top priority for them, and if they can't change that before it becomes law then it will be one of the first things they do in power.

Which would have meant that not only would be have had more restrictions than we suffered through under the Tories, but we wouldn't have been allowed to question anything about them either.

I really fear Labour forming a government in their current incarnation.
Real tin hat stuff there. You really think Labour would ban people questioning policies? Wow!

Hans

I don't think it is tin hat stuff but rather being aware of the damage the bill could cause, it is people questioning the true effects of the bill have caused an element of watering down of it and the delay. The censorship, which is what was happening, of any questioning of the covid narrative, which is still ongoing currently, is a very dangerous place for a democratic nation to be. The Uk is becoming a place where we are told what to say and what we must think - that is dangerous and not acceptable, and yes I agree with @MikeWM it is likely to become worse with a Labour government.

MikeWM

Established Member
Real tin hat stuff there. You really think Labour would ban people questioning policies? Wow!

On the main sites people use on the internet, yes, absolutely, when they will claim (as they did with covid) that it is 'dangerous' to question the position of the government. And 'dangerous' can be whatever they choose to make it.

It was difficult enough over the last three years to post anything critical of lockdowns, masks or covid vaccines, without getting banned from Twitter/Facebook etc. And we know from the 'Twitter files' and the lawsuit brought by Alex Berenson, that the Biden administration was bringing pressure on these companies to ban people - including experts in the field in question - despite having, at best, highly questionable legal basis for doing so.

If a government gives itself the explicit legal power to do so, assuming that it *won't* try to do so in order to make things more convenient for itself, is the real tin-hat position, at least as far as I see it.

Hans

Thankfully in history there have been people who will question an official narrative, long may that continue. Governments attempting to stop the questioning with legislation is very wrong. If it had not been for people questioning the efficacy of the covid narrative and making their voices heard lockdowns probably would have continued. Those voices found a way to be heard despite the efforts of the MSM and social media to stop them. Over 100 MP's voted against further restrictions, they listened to the population of the UK who could see how damaging the narrative was.

Where does the online safety bill stop? It is not tin foil hat territory to question.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok we’re starting to get way off topic here. If anyone wants to start a thread about the online safety bill in the General Discussion section then feel free and we’ll happily move some posts over if need be.

Otherwise can we please stick to to the situation regarding Covid restrictions abroad in this thread from here.

Thanks everyone.

MikeWM

Established Member
Last edited:

Russel

Simon Calder begging for more restrictions on Twitter. 2020 all over again.

Are we looking at the same Simon Calder on Twitter? I'm seeing him post a lot of observations around the current situation, but not seeing any begging for restrictions?

Jimini

Established Member
Are we looking at the same Simon Calder on Twitter? I'm seeing him post a lot of observations around the current situation, but not seeing any begging for restrictions?

A cursory glance suggests not.

Just as an aside, I worked with Simon for a number of years whilst at The Independent, and can safely say that he's one of the nicest blokes I've ever worked with. A very intelligent and eloquent journo, with a heart of gold to boot.

gabrielhj07

Oh dear oh dear. Not a week into 2023 and Sky News drops this corker: https://news.sky.com/story/ukhsa-wa...ing-when-going-out-if-feeling-unwell-12778668

UKHSA warns adults to 'stay home' or 'wear face covering' when going out if feeling unwell​

Professor Susan Hopkins, chief medical adviser at the UKHSA, listed numerous precautions in order to limit the spread of illness, as cases of scarlet fever and COVID-19 circulate at "high levels".
I do hope this alarmist nonsense doesn’t gain traction.

Attachments

• EF3305F5-7B0D-42E5-B703-B15157AD6AB4.jpeg
    EF3305F5-7B0D-42E5-B703-B15157AD6AB4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
USA has further extended their vaccine mandates for non-residents/nationals until April 10th.

MikeWM

Established Member
USA has further extended their vaccine mandates for non-residents/nationals until April 10th.

Totally ludicrous how much of an outlier they've become on this, making places like Canada and New Zealand look like bastions of reasonableness!

I'd say Congress needs to get on with trying to pass some legislation to take back power over things like this away from the Presidency.

danm14

Will there be a review thereafter?
I would honestly expect it to continue to be extended by three months every three months until at least January 2025, and in the event of a Democrat victory in the 2024 election, possibly January 2029.

It is being kept in place entirely for political reasons. The United States does not and never has required even one booster vaccine - a person who received their first two doses of the vaccine (or single Janssen dose) in December 2020 and no further doses is still eligible to travel to the United States. Nobody can argue that that policy is in place for health reasons, even if they are supportive of vaccine mandates in general.

Razorblades

I would honestly expect it to continue to be extended by three months every three months until at least January 2025, and in the event of a Democrat victory in the 2024 election, possibly January 2029.

It is being kept in place entirely for political reasons. The United States does not and never has required even one booster vaccine - a person who received their first two doses of the vaccine (or single Janssen dose) in December 2020 and no further doses is still eligible to travel to the United States. Nobody can argue that that policy is in place for health reasons, even if they are supportive of vaccine mandates in general.
This sounds, frankly, potty. Like the lion's share of this Covid theatre, there is so much inherently contradictory in all of this, I really can't see why those in power aren't kicked out.

island

Veteran Member
SI2023/2 to implement the new testing requirement was made at 1:02pm today taking effect less than 15 hours hence.

danm14

SI2023/2 to implement the new testing requirement was made at 1:02pm today taking effect less than 15 hours hence.
11. These Regulations expire at the end of 4th April 2023.
Interesting to note that these regulations, despite being cited as "temporary measures", have simply been made law for a three month period, with no sign of the requirement for review on a regular basis by the Secretary of State that was included in previous regulations.

While I'm aware the review requirement was effectively meaningless, and there's nothing preventing them being revoked early - at least on paper these would seem, therefore, to be the most permanent restrictions we've ever had?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Interesting to note that these regulations, despite being cited as "temporary measures", have simply been made law for a three month period, with no sign of the requirement for review on a regular basis by the Secretary of State that was included in previous regulations.

While I'm aware the review requirement was effectively meaningless, and there's nothing preventing them being revoked early - at least on paper these would seem, therefore, to be the most permanent restrictions we've ever had?
I think there have been other restrictions that were written as lasting longer without a review, but yes.

I imagine this might be one of the grounds on which an application for judicial review might be brought, in addition to the fact that yet again restrictions are being imposed without prior approval from Parliament - not to mention the (in my view!) Wednesbury unreasonableness of these Regulations in view of the circumstances. Let's see whether anyone does actually apply for JR.

Last edited:

Razorblades

- not to mention the (in my view!) Wednesbury unreasonableness of these Regulations in view of the circumstances. Let's see whether anyone does actually apply for JR.

'A reasoning or decision is Wednesbury unreasonable (or irrational) if it is so unreasonable that no reasonable person acting reasonably could have made it (Associated Provincial Picture Houses Ltd v Wednesbury Corporation (1948) 1 KB 223).' (from Practical Law).

Every day's a school day!

MikeWM

Established Member

The original regulations for mandatory masks on transport, and then in shops, were six months to their first review. Which reminds me that I don't recall there ever actually *being* such a review, even a perfunctory attempt at one, or at least not one that they ever bothered to tell us about or publish. So as you say, I wouldn't have expected any 'review' here to have made any more impact than those.

I note these regulations are also missing the usual blurb/lie about being 'too urgent to consult Parliament', even though once again they've been introduced without doing so. Maybe they've given up on the pretence that Parliament should have any say in such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.