• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Whistler40145

Established Member
I agree with your comment on Compton.

Maybe it's time for Hales to drop down the order to three and bring in a new opener, Bell-Drummond should get the nod.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I agree with your comment on Compton.

Maybe it's time for Hales to drop down the order to three and bring in a new opener, Bell-Drummond should get the nod.

Compton got his chance in the first place because of a vg season for Somerset, when he played for them. It is well-known that Taunton, where Somerset play all their home matches, is the easiest pitch on the FC circuit, so a proportion of the runs any batsman scores there should be discounted. This is apparently the reason why James Hildreth, English cricket's top runscorer last season, is never in contention for England selection. Going back to Middlesex showed Compton's true place - an OK batsman who was lucky to get selected in the first place, although he did alright, but should never have been given a second chance beyond 2 tests max.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
More importantly than the state of the game I can report that during the lunch break a couple did get engaged and this occasion was broadcast via the big screen.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed!

Sadly for the small surgical group of Sri Lankan spectators there hasn't been much to cheer. Very sloppy in the field and they don't even look like they want to be out there.

Whistler40145

Established Member
The Sri Lankan bowling attack is lacking in strength, certainly missing the likes of Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Moeen going great guns here at the Riverside. Waiting for the declaration at this point!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sadly not! But I did see them on the opposite side of the ground to me ;) I always sit in roughly the same place as it has a cracking view of the action, isn't a stand that gets full of drunks but does give a decent view of the antics they get up to which are often entertaining from a distance :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sri Lanka making a better fist of it in their second innings, having followed on for the second time in successive matches. The second-string bowling is not looking so good: who will take over from Anderson and Broad? At the moment, with Mark Wood hors de combat and Finn seemingly struggling with his self-confidence again, I don't see the answer. Footitt is injured, having been chosen for squads over the last couple of years but never given a chance to play - no fast bowler in English cricket gets a greater proportion of their victims bowled, so I don't understand that. Chris Jordan hasn't reappeared from the IPL yet, but he may still have a part to play this summer.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sri Lanka all out for 475 in their second innings.

Anderson again returned good bowling figures, despite that total, of 27-9-58-5, giving him a match return of 8 for 94.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

England soon reached their required target when batting again and finished on 80-1, to win by 9 wickets, inside four days of a five day Test Match.

Cook, at the third time of asking, finally achieved his 10,000 test match runs target with a score of 47 not out in the second innings.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sadly not! But I did see them on the opposite side of the ground to me ;) I always sit in roughly the same place as it has a cracking view of the action, isn't a stand that gets full of drunks but does give a decent view of the antics they get up to which are often entertaining from a distance :lol:

Di you go over the weekend. I have been to Chester le Street several times for internationals and never seen a ball bowled! <D

Buttsy

Established Member
Very enjoyable day out at New Road on Monday, Jack Shantry scoring his second 50 in just 14 balls and getting 106 in even time (balls bowled). Charlie Morris shared a last wicket stand with him of 69 of which Charlie scored 0. Also saw Van Buuren get a ton right at the end of play.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Very enjoyable day out at New Road on Monday, Jack Shantry scoring his second 50 in just 14 balls and getting 106 in even time (balls bowled). Charlie Morris shared a last wicket stand with him of 69 of which Charlie scored 0. Also saw Van Buuren get a ton right at the end of play.

That last wicket stand sounds really interesting, in that Morris wasn't spared the bowling - he faced 21 of the 59 balls together. Apparently the last time a Worcs no 10 scored a ton was over a century ago, that was also against Glos, and both complete innings lasted exactly the same number of balls!

On the same day a 10th wicket stand lasting about an hour by Leach and Groenwald saw Somerset beat Surrey by 1 wicket: Surrey could have required Somerset to follow on, but didn't enforce it. Surrey lie bottom of the First Division.

Whistler40145

Established Member
The Somerset v Surrey match was quite remarkable, at one point I thought it would be a win for Surrey, but Somerset proved everyone wrong.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Somerset v Surrey match was quite remarkable, at one point I thought it would be a win for Surrey, but Somerset proved everyone wrong.

I TRY to remain impartial, but given Surrey is the equivalent of Man Utd in terms of the money they have to spend on players I'm always rather pleased when they get beaten (especially by Kent!)

Whistler40145

Established Member
Another wonderful performance by Lancashire, but quite surprised that Martin Guptill was in the squad as he's only supposed to be playing in the T20 Blast competition.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

That Somerset 10th wicket partnership did it again today against Gloucs - just kept their heads and accumulated the necessary runs. For Surrey too, a case of deja vu, when Kent (hooray!) beat them by one wicket with a ball to spare.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Royal London One-Day Cup

Michael Lumb with 184 (6 x 6 and 21 x 4) and Riki Wessels with 146 (8 x 6 and 14 x 4) put together an opening stand of 342 for Nottinghamshire in their one-day match against Northamptonshire.
*****************************************************************************************************

Day two of the Test Match ends with Sri Lanka posting a respectable score of 162-1 in their first innings in response to the England first innings total of 416 all out, so providing the weather holds for the next few days, the spectators should be able to watch a developing situation.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's not very often you'll hear a Lancastrian praising the batting of a Yorksherman, wonderful performance by Jonny Bairstow.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sri Lanka have not taken advantage of their good overnight platform of 162-1 and by midway in the post-lunch session had gradually lost nine more wickets in reaching a total of 288 all out.
In reply, England in their second innings opened with Compton and Hales and put on 45 before a sudden slump saw Compton (19), Root (4) and Vince (0) all dismissed and after 15 overs, England were 55-3.

Last edited: