• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
That's the most remarkable bit of cricket I've ever seen. Yes, he was dropped early, and yes the bowling wasn't great at the end and the Afghans suffered a bit of headloss, but just stunning hitting. Botham at Headingley x 100

Busaholic

Veteran Member
....with 10 x 6 and 21 x 4.
Correction, Afghanistan played Glenn Maxwell and Glenn Maxwell won. :smile: Just imagine how much Australia might have got against England if he'd been able to play then! The only parallel I can think of is Gordon Greenidge's 'innings on one leg' at Lord's about forty years ago. What those two batsmen have in common is that they are both top human beings too.

D1511

Correction, Afghanistan played Glenn Maxwell and Glenn Maxwell won. :smile: Just imagine how much Australia might have got against England if he'd been able to play then! The only parallel I can think of is Gordon Greenidge's 'innings on one leg' at Lord's about forty years ago. What those two batsmen have in common is that they are both top human beings too.
@Busaholic Very good point that.....Maxwell is a modest likeable bloke, who even talked down his performance in his post match interview. He also has pretty sound values, not unlike his captain. They're a much harder team to dislike than in previous years!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
@Busaholic Very good point that.....Maxwell is a modest likeable bloke, who even talked down his performance in his post match interview. He also has pretty sound values, not unlike his captain. They're a much harder team to dislike than in previous years!
Yes, especially once Warner has gone, though he's mellowed over the years.

Harvester

Established Member
England have won the toss and are going to bat first against the Netherlands. Two changes, Brook and Atkinson for Livingstone and Wood.

Falcon1200

Established Member
1) ICC apply a shorter timer than that laid out in the Laws of Cricket (two minutes instead of three)

Professional sportsmen, and especially a team captain, should know the rules of the competitions in which they take part.

2) Mathews was ready before the two minutes (he was ready at one minute and 54 seconds)

The fourth umpire disagreed!

Purple Train

Established Member
Professional sportsmen, and especially a team captain, should know the rules of the competitions in which they take part.
Oh absolutely, I'm just pointing out the inconsistency.
The fourth umpire disagreed!
Evidently the fourth umpire is either being misleading or needs his watch checked, or all the videos have been sneakily cut. The BBC, me, and several other observers have timed it at 1m 54 from the video, and the BBC live feed (as far as I recall) also had the timings up pretty sharpish.

ian1944

Livingstone dropped, not surprisingly. Based on recent scores, including this one, Buttler would share the fate if not the captain. What has happened to him?

75A

Established Member
Netherlands 179 all out in 37.2 overs so England won by 160 runs.
Ben Stokes scored108.
So just Pakistan on Saturday and then home for OBE's (that's usual isn't it?)

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Netherlands 179 all out in 37.2 overs so England won by 160 runs.
Ben Stokes scored108.
So just Pakistan on Saturday and then home for OBE's (that's usual isn't it?)
Old Ben's Efforts?

Falcon1200

Established Member
Evidently the fourth umpire is either being misleading or needs his watch checked, or all the videos have been sneakily cut. The BBC, me, and several other observers have timed it at 1m 54 from the video, and the BBC live feed (as far as I recall) also had the timings up pretty sharpish.

Fair enough. But at least, a batsman getting timed out again is now far less likely to happen!

Harvester

Established Member
Old Ben's Efforts?
‘Man of the Match’ with 6 sixes and 6 fours in his hundred. The 160 run win has greatly improved England’s run rate moving them up to 7th place, with a superior run rate over the other teams on 4 points.

SteveM70

Established Member
I really cannot understand why Stokes is still out there given England are playing dead rubbers and he urgently needs a knee operation.

Every further game he plays risks more damage; every day without the operation delays his return, and there is a test series in India in January and he's the captain of the test team

It was discussed briefly on TMS (ODIMS?!?) today, and they were baffled too, especially when the official response was "because he loves playing for England". Yeah, loves it so much he retired a year ago

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I really cannot understand why Stokes is still out there given England are playing dead rubbers and he urgently needs a knee operation.

Every further game he plays risks more damage; every day without the operation delays his return, and there is a test series in India in January and he's the captain of the test team

It was discussed briefly on TMS (ODIMS?!?) today, and they were baffled too, especially when the official response was "because he loves playing for England". Yeah, loves it so much he retired a year ago
Jimmy Anderson loves playing for Lancashire, but sometimes England don't allow it because they're worried about him getting injured/knackered/whatever. What they're really saying, in Stokes's case, is that he dictates his own terms!

gswindale

What dead rubbers are England playing in.

They need to finish in the top 8 to qualify for the 2025 Champions Trophy. Whilst in 7th now, my understanding is that a win against Pakistan is not a guarantee that they'll still finish in the top 8 due to how net run rates are calculated.

DelW

Established Member
What dead rubbers are England playing in.

They need to finish in the top 8 to qualify for the 2025 Champions Trophy. Whilst in 7th now, my understanding is that a win against Pakistan is not a guarantee that they'll still finish in the top 8 due to how net run rates are calculated.
Sri Lanka's last match is against New Zealand, Bangladesh's is against Australia, and Netherlands' is against India. While there are no guarantees (witness Netherlands vs South Africa), the strong likelihood is that those teams will stay on four points with their net run rates being pushed further negative than now.

So an England win over Pakistan, or even a close defeat, ought to keep England in the top eight. It would need two of the bottom three to perform unexpectedly well to push England down to ninth. That said, I'm not about to head to the bookies to bet the ranch on England qualifying!

Falcon1200

Established Member
Would it be the end of the world if England failed to qualify for the Champions Trophy? Embarrassing, certainly, but given that a regular complaint, particularly where England players are concerned, is 'too much cricket', it would give them a rest!

Harvester

Established Member
Sri Lanka are 84-5 after 12 overs against New Zealand. Looks like a heavy defeat is looming!

DelW

Established Member
Sri Lanks are now 105-7 after 19 overs against New Zealand.
Sri Lanka's last-wicket pair put on the biggest partnership of the innings (43) to take their final score to 171.

Unless NZ have an unlikely collapse, Sri Lanka's net run rate will decline further - which should help England stay above them so long as England don't have a real shocker against Pakistan.

Harvester

Established Member
New Zealand have qualified for the semi-finals after a 5 wicket win over Sri Lanka, and will play India.