• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
New Zealand have qualified for the semi-finals after a 5 wicket win over Sri Lanka, and will play India.
I think it would have been an unjust outcome if New Zealand had failed to make the semi finals, but why can't there be a luck-of-the-draw about who they meet in it? It would make this long drawn-out process of elimination much more meaningful, rather than the confected business of qualification for the Champions Trophy, whatever that is. As it is, New Zealand will once again probably lose to the host nation, whereas they might have had a better chance against the other two teams.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesT

Established Member
I think it would have been an unjust outcome if New Zealand had failed to make the semi finals, but why can't there be a luck-of-the-draw about who they meet in it? It would make this long drawn-out process of elimination much more meaningful, rather than the confected business of qualification for the Champions Trophy, whatever that is. As it is, New Zealand will once again probably lose to the host nation, whereas they might have had a better chance against the other two teams.
Why shouldn't India be rewarded for playing well during the group stage and getting to play the 4th best team? Most competitions that have a group followed by a knockout will seed the group winners in some fashion. As there's only one group, then the seeding can only really be 1v4 and 2v3.

DelW

Established Member
New Zealand evidently prioritised speed over wickets, reaching the target in exactly half the number of balls Sri Lanka had taken. Net run rate was important for their semi-final placing, but it also helps England by worsening Sri Lanka's NRR. If England play a reasonable game against Pakistan, they should stay above Sri Lanka and Netherlands even if they don't win.

SteveM70

Established Member
Why shouldn't India be rewarded for playing well during the group stage and getting to play the 4th best team? Most competitions that have a group followed by a knockout will seed the group winners in some fashion. As there's only one group, then the seeding can only really be 1v4 and 2v3.

Indeed

The more interesting question to me is whether the higher ranked team is deemed to have “won” the toss and therefore gets the choice of bat or bowl first. That feels like a just reward for better performance over 9 games

gswindale

Why was such a ridiculous format chosen for this World Cup?

Could we not have had 2 groups of 5 with the top 2 from each making up the semi finals?

I note the same format was used last time out, but it still seems a bit clunky!

Prior to 2019, there were 14 teams involved, so to me the current format smacks of the "old boys club", with no encouragement for "smaller" nations.

SteveM70

Established Member

Could we not have had 2 groups of 5 with the top 2 from each making up the semi finals?

That would mean 20 group stage games rather than 45, which clearly won’t be acceptable to the money grabbing financially astute people in charge

Prior to 2019, there were 14 teams involved, so to me the current format smacks of the "old boys club", with no encouragement for "smaller" nations

Yes, exactly this

Winthorpe

Prior to 2019, there were 14 teams involved, so to me the current format smacks of the "old boys club", with no encouragement for "smaller" nations.

The same round robin format was also used in 1992. I quite like it, but there should be two games per day. Perhaps one day game plus a day/night fixture to reduce the overlap.

But the economics of tv dictates one per day.

SteveHFC

Isn't 2027 going back to 14 teams? It'll be interesting to see how the group stages work there.

JamesT

Established Member
Isn't 2027 going back to 14 teams? It'll be interesting to see how the group stages work there.
I believe it's supposed to revert to the 2003 format. Two groups of 7, top 3 go through. Then a pool of six where you play the teams you haven't already played, followed by semi-final and final.

Harvester

Established Member
I believe it's supposed to revert to the 2003 format. Two groups of 7, top 3 go through. Then a pool of six where you play the teams you haven't already played, followed by semi-final and final.
Hosts were South Africa and Zimbabwe. England refused to play the latter in Zimbabwe, forfeited the points and went out in 4th place, while Zimbabwe 3rd went through to the second group. In 2007 there were 16 teams in four groups!

DelW

Established Member
(...) England do have a record of staging a comeback once it's too late to make any difference.
It wasn't a very risky prediction, but it did indeed come to pass ... England played reasonably well in their last two matches (i.e. once it was too late to matter). But that will leave England in seventh, so qualifying for the Champions Trophy.

Their final win over Pakistan was convincing, despite a lively rearguard action from Pakistan's last wicket pair.

Harvester

Established Member
But that will leave England in seventh, so qualifying for the Champions Trophy.
I wonder how many of the England players that played today will be included in the squad for the 2025 Champions Trophy? Either through retirement from the ODI format, or dropped, only Brook, Root, and possibly Butler and Bairstow look likely to be selected!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I wonder how many of the England players that played today will be included in the squad for the 2025 Champions Trophy? Either through retirement from the ODI format, or dropped, only Brook, Root, and possibly Butler and Bairstow look likely to be selected!
As many as that? I'd lower that number by one (definitely) or two (probably) and add that it's too soon to say about Atkinson.

Harvester

Established Member
Only Butler (Captain), Atkinson, Brook, Carse, Curran and Livingstone from the WC squad, have been selected for the ODI squad to tour the West Indies next month. Butler also retains the captaincy of the T20 team, with Archer noticeably absent from both squads!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the India v Netherlands match, the top three Indian batsmen all made 50s, but did not use that as a base for a big score. However both the number 4 and 5 batsmen did not fail at reaching that level and both scored centuries, as India made 410-4 from their 50 overs.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
India top the table with nine wins from nine games, and they could still fail to win the trophy!

Pakenhamtrain

Last weekend Surfers Paradise 3rd Grade were chasing 178 for victory. They made 4/174 with one over to go.

They lost the game after losing 6 straight wickets in said final over.
The cricket gods were smiling down on a Gold Coast bowler after he bagged six wickets in six balls on the final over of a one-day match on the weekend.
The stunning feat was executed at the Carrara Community Centre on Saturday afternoon in the Gold Coast's Premier League Division 3 competition.

Surfers Paradise needed five runs for victory heading into the last over with six batsmen available to make the runs.

But bowler Gareth Morgan, captain of the Mudgeeraba Nerang & Districts Cricket Club, had other ideas.

Winthorpe

Last weekend Surfers Paradise 3rd Grade were chasing 178 for victory. They made 4/174 with one over to go.

Incredible feat. o_O Thanks for sharing. Having seen it here first, I see it's been picked up in the UK media too (Guardian and BBC).

Purple Train

Established Member

Especially amazing given, according to the BBC, Mr Morgan had previously achieved the feat of five wickets in an over!

ian1944

Only Butler (Captain), Atkinson, Brook, Carse, Curran and Livingstone from the WC squad, have been selected for the ODI squad to tour the West Indies next month. Butler also retains the captaincy of the T20 team, with Archer noticeably absent from both squads!
Given his underwhelming results just now in India, it must only be Livingstone's known ability and previous IPL/100 performances that keep him in the squad. Do well, or the final chop, I think.

Is Archer still on a central contract.If so, how does his self-respect let him take the dosh for doing nowt?

Harvester

Established Member
Is Archer still on a central contract.If so, how does his self-respect let him take the dosh for doing nowt?
He was given a two year contract last month. It will be interesting to see how much cricket he manages to play over the next two years!

Just to add that India beat New Zealand by 70 runs to reach the WC Final.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
South Africa lost their top four in reaching 24-4 against Australia in the semi-final match. They had to thank Miller for an innings of 101 with 5 x 6 and 8 x 4 in reaching a small total of 212 all out in 49.4 overs.
Starc...........10 - 1 - 34 - 3
Cummins....9.4 - 0 - 51 - 3

On Moderation
South Africa lost their top four in reaching 24-4 against Australia in the semi-final match. They had to thank Miller for an innings of 101 with 5 x 6 and 8 x 4 in reaching a small total of 212 all out in 49.4 overs.
Starc...........10 - 1 - 34 - 3
Cummins....9.4 - 0 - 51 - 3
A much improved performance at the start of the innings from Mitchell Starc. He’d taken some flak in the run-up to the game from Ian Healy - his wife’s uncle - about his performances s far in the tournament.

SteveM70

Established Member
A much improved performance at the start of the innings from Mitchell Starc. He’d taken some flak in the run-up to the game from Ian Healy - his wife’s uncle - about his performances s far in the tournament.

He was excellent but Josh Hazlewood was absolutely brilliant. It feels a bit unfair that he can produce 8-3-12-2 and not get man of the match - not only are they stunning figures but they also set the tone for everything that followed

JD2168

The final on Sunday between India & Australia should produce a good match between two of the best teams of the tournament.

On Moderation
He was excellent but Josh Hazlewood was absolutely brilliant. It feels a bit unfair that he can produce 8-3-12-2 and not get man of the match - not only are they stunning figures but they also set the tone for everything that followed
It was a bit strange that Cummins didn't bring Hazlewood back for his remaining two overs.