• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Harvester

Established Member
England are surprisingly unchanged in the second ODI against the West Indies. The latter are batting first, and Curran has opened the bowling for England.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Having comfortably won the second ODI, England lost the rain-affected decider by 4 wickets (vs a Duckworth Lewis target).

Put in to bat, England slumped to 49 for 5, with four of the top order having lasted an aggregate of 14 balls and scored a combined total of 5 runs. Unsurprisingly there was no way back from there, although the lower order got England's total up to 206 for 9 off 40 overs that never looked enough.

Harvester

Established Member
After losing the series 2-1 England have a long break from the 50 over format, with no more scheduled ODI matches until September 2024!

HST43257

Established Member
England Men’s 16-man Test squad for 5 tests in India announced

Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes, Rehan Ahmed, Tom Hartley, Mark Wood, Gus Atkinson, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Shoaib Bashir, Jimmy Anderson

Such a poor squad imo. An outstanding lack of depth, with 8 batters, 4 seamers and 4 spinners. This is a 5 test series and they’ve got 2 slowcoaches and 2 injury-prone faster blokes, there’s not enough there. Jimmy needs his farewell this summer so can’t be injured/worn out by being overplayed in India. Bashir’s selection is taking Bazball too far. He averages 67 with the ball and had a largely ineffective summer! His future is bright but now is not his time. And what a disservice to Liam Dawson by the way! Averaging this season 40 with bat and 20 with ball, in England no less, and still Rehan is miles ahead in Rob Key’s fantasy world, so Dawson wouldn’t go (I assume it’s the case that he turned down a backup spot in the squad ie Bashir)

My ideal squad would’ve been as follows.

Keaton Jennings, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes, Liam Dawson, Rehan Ahmed, Jamie Overton, Tom Hartley, Mark Wood, Gus Atkinson, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Josh Tongue, Matt Parkinson, Jimmy Anderson.

21 is a lot but this is a long tour. Packed with high pace options, proper spinners, batting depth and good players of spin. It’s disappointing really

Harvester

Established Member
With Stokes only going to India as a batsman four seamers in the squad does seem insufficient for a five Test series, considering Wood and Anderson will be lucky to get through three Tests each. Maybe the plan is to play three spinners (plus Root) and only two seamers in each Test! Good to see Jack Leach back.

JD2168

An interesting part of the last few days is the report of Jofra Archer playing a Barbados league game taking 4-18 bowling both pace & spin. The was without Rob Key’s knowledge.

Harvester

Established Member
An interesting part of the last few days is the report of Jofra Archer playing a Barbados league game taking 4-18 bowling both pace & spin. The was without Rob Key’s knowledge.
Without permission? He has just received a very lucrative two year central contract despite his on going injuries, so I doubt this will go down well with the ECB!

HST43257

Established Member
It’s hilarious as far as I’m concerned. I love that right arm pacemen like Jimmy and Jofra can bowl left arm spin, I find it amazing for some reason

Maybe the plan is to play three spinners (plus Root) and only two seamers in each Test! Good to see Jack Leach back.
Ideally Root would be the third spinner. Less pressure on having 5 frontline bowlers with spinners bowling more overs. XI will hopefully work something like this:

Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Foakes/Bairstow, Ahmed/Hartley, Wood/Atkinson, Leach, Robinson/Anderson

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England Men’s 16-man Test squad for 5 tests in India announced

Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes, Rehan Ahmed, Tom Hartley, Mark Wood, Gus Atkinson, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Shoaib Bashir, Jimmy Anderson

Such a poor squad imo. An outstanding lack of depth, with 8 batters, 4 seamers and 4 spinners. This is a 5 test series and they’ve got 2 slowcoaches and 2 injury-prone faster blokes, there’s not enough there. Jimmy needs his farewell this summer so can’t be injured/worn out by being overplayed in India. Bashir’s selection is taking Bazball too far. He averages 67 with the ball and had a largely ineffective summer! His future is bright but now is not his time. And what a disservice to Liam Dawson by the way! Averaging this season 40 with bat and 20 with ball, in England no less, and still Rehan is miles ahead in Rob Key’s fantasy world, so Dawson wouldn’t go (I assume it’s the case that he turned down a backup spot in the squad ie Bashir)

My ideal squad would’ve been as follows.

Keaton Jennings, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Foakes, Liam Dawson, Rehan Ahmed, Jamie Overton, Tom Hartley, Mark Wood, Gus Atkinson, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Josh Tongue, Matt Parkinson, Jimmy Anderson.

21 is a lot but this is a long tour. Packed with high pace options, proper spinners, batting depth and good players of spin. It’s disappointing really
It does seem an unbalanced squad, lacking in pace bowling and two of them getting on in age. Tongue should certainly have been included imo. Bashir's inclusion is 'interesting' to say the least! It reminds me of the inclusion of Virdi on a previous tour of India which also decided to award a place to the offspinner Gareth Batty in the autumn of his career. None of it ended well!

HST43257

Established Member
It does seem an unbalanced squad, lacking in pace bowling and two of them getting on in age. Tongue should certainly have been included imo. Bashir's inclusion is 'interesting' to say the least! It reminds me of the inclusion of Virdi on a previous tour of India which also decided to award a place to the offspinner Gareth Batty in the autumn of his career. None of it ended well!
Only shame is that Virdi could have been a definite player for this tour had Surrey treated him a bit better regarding first team selection. Same goes for Parkinson x2 and Patterson-White

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
West Indies have won the first T20 match against England by four wickets. England didn’t even complete the 20 overs, being all out for 171 after losing their last five wickets for 6 runs.

Cletus

Established Member
Tongue's injured, out until next summer unfortunately.

ian1944

It’s hilarious as far as I’m concerned. I love that right arm pacemen like Jimmy and Jofra can bowl left arm spin, I find it amazing for some reason
Anderson batting left-handed may be relevant. I can't remember how Archer bats (it's too long ago since I saw him play).

Harvester

Established Member
England slump to another T20 defeat by 10 runs, going two down in the series. West Indies made 176-7, England replied with 166-7.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England slump to another T20 defeat by 10 runs, going two down in the series. West Indies made 176-7, England replied with 166-7.
Why did Woakes come in before Ahmed? The latter might well have won it for England - it's obvious to me he's already a far better batter, not to mention bowler, abroad.

Harvester

Established Member
Why did Woakes come in before Ahmed? The latter might well have won it for England - it's obvious to me he's already a far better batter, not to mention bowler, abroad.
What probably cost England the match was Curran’s bowling in the 16th over, when he conceded 30 runs!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
3rd T20 won by England by 6 wickets, with a ball to spare. England almost failed again by sending in Livingstone ahead of Brook, but luckily the former got out in time for Brook's late heroics to save the day.

Harvester

Established Member
3rd T20 won by England by 6 wickets, with a ball to spare. England almost failed again by sending in Livingstone ahead of Brook, but luckily the former got out in time for Brook's late heroics to save the day.
Brook hit 31 from 7 balls. Never thought England would get the runs!

JD2168

England Women were thrashed in the only Test against India. Chasing 479 to win England were bowled out for 131 in their second innings.

HST43257

Established Member
As much as I hate Livingstone (especially in ODIs), I can’t fault his knock. Whilst 166 SR is hardly enough for 18 per over, his innings did provide a much required supporting knock. The partnership was 70 (33), much more on track. Props to him for staying in for once and assisting very well in the journey victory. Same applies to Buttler, if we aren’t losing wickets we have a chance at any point, and to largely remain on the rate (until towards the end of his innings) in a partnership of 115 is spectacular.

Of course, take nothing away from Brook there, what a knock! To make 6 off his very first ball made me believe, and I didn’t think he’d be able to take 21 off the last over having only faced 2 balls, but he did it so well! I guess it perhaps wouldn’t have been needed had Salt started the 19th over better than 2 from 3, but I shouldn’t say a bad word for Salt. As the usual quick starter, to still start quickly and remain quick and still bat through the innings at a 195 SR is beyond incredible. His game management was excellent as was his temperament, a real coming of age innings I hope as he’s looked largely immature and reckless previously.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
As much as I hate Livingstone (especially in ODIs), I can’t fault his knock. Whilst 166 SR is hardly enough for 18 per over, his innings did provide a much required supporting knock. The partnership was 70 (33), much more on track. Props to him for staying in for once and assisting very well in the journey victory. Same applies to Buttler, if we aren’t losing wickets we have a chance at any point, and to largely remain on the rate (until towards the end of his innings) in a partnership of 115 is spectacular.

Of course, take nothing away from Brook there, what a knock! To make 6 off his very first ball made me believe, and I didn’t think he’d be able to take 21 off the last over having only faced 2 balls, but he did it so well! I guess it perhaps wouldn’t have been needed had Salt started the 19th over better than 2 from 3, but I shouldn’t say a bad word for Salt. As the usual quick starter, to still start quickly and remain quick and still bat through the innings at a 195 SR is beyond incredible. His game management was excellent as was his temperament, a real coming of age innings I hope as he’s looked largely immature and reckless previously.
I agree with all of that. I'm beginning to wonder what all the fuss about Atkinson was, though. Got a feeling if he played for Northants or Kent he'd never have been chosen for the squad. Similarly with Hants's John Turner being massively overhyped as the 'new McGrath'. It cannot help the lad.

Harvester

Established Member
England have scored an impressive 267-3 in this evenings T20 match. The West Indies have yet to bat, but will struggle to better that!

HST43257

Established Member
Well they are currently ahead of where England were and are scoring at something like 15 an over. However they have lost four wickets.
West Indies are all out, England won by 75 runs.
Never worried, wickets were always bound to fall.

A superb performance from Salt (with bat at least), Buttler and Livingstone (I quite like him in T20s if he’s sensible-ish). Good to see all Eng bowlers took wickets whilst being hit around (luck rather than judgement from the Windies).

JD2168

Confusion appeared to happen in the IPL auction where the Punjab Kings had to deny they had signed the wrong player in Shashank Shah claiming it was due to 2 players having the same name.

Mitchell Starc has become the most expensive player ever when sold to Kolkata Knight Riders beating the price a few hours before for Pat Cummins to join Sunrisers Hyderabad.

HST43257

Established Member
Confusion appeared to happen in the IPL auction where the Punjab Kings had to deny they had signed the wrong player in Shashank Shah claiming it was due to 2 players having the same name.
IPL Auctions seem to be unable to go without drama!

Mitchell Starc has become the most expensive player ever when sold to Kolkata Knight Riders beating the price a few hours before for Pat Cummins to join Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Astounding amounts of money. Some absolute steals in there like Hasaranga and maybe Ravindra. Shame to not see Salt picked up despite doing well for Delhi last year.

Happy to see TKC picked up for Rajasthan at base price (20 grand or so?). I presume he’ll be batting backup to Buttler, Hetmyer and Powell (Powell until Zampa comes in later, unless Burger gets a go early on).