• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Harvester

Established Member
South Africa have beaten the West Indies by 3 wickets (DLS) and have qualified for the semi finals.

West Indies 135-8 (20 overs), South Africa 124-7 (16.1 overs).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Best thing about the England-USA match was Buttler smashing a 6 onto the roof, a drone then showed a solar panel up there with a huge hole in it :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Andrew Flintoff's son, Rocky, has been given his first pro contract by Lancs. He's still 16, congrats to the lad and all that, but as a fan I know darned well that if he's good then we will see little of him due to England central contracts and 20/20/franchise tournaments, probably mostly with the Brave Sundowners in Spring and the Krispy Krisps in summer. <(
At the age of 16, he was chosen to play for the England U-19s against a Young Lions International XI this week and batting at number 6, scored 106 from 111 balls with 3 x 6 and 8 x 4.

Harvester

Established Member
Afghanistan are through to the WC T20 semi finals after a narrow 8 run (DLS) victory over Bangladesh. They will play South Africa, with the result eliminating Australia.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the County Championship fixture between Kent and Lancashire, in response to the Kent first innings total of 244, Lancashire lost Jennings at the score of 7-1, but an excellent triple hundred stand of 312 by Wells (150) and Bohannon (182 not out) steadied matters. At the end of day 2, Lancashire were 402-4.

Cletus

Established Member
Ridiculously England's semi final doesn't have a reserve day in case of bad weather. A no result means India would be in the final

The other semi final does have a reserve day.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ridiculously England's semi final doesn't have a reserve day in case of bad weather. A no result means India would be in the final

The other semi final does have a reserve day.
So no level playing fields! To coin a phrase, it's just not cricket. <(

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Various media outlets now reporting that Frank Duckworth, the chap who co-invented what was initially known as the "Duckworth-Lewis" method of determining the result of weather-affected cricket matches, has died (this a few days ago on Friday 21st June 2024).

Extract...
Frank Duckworth, the man whose mathematical knowledge helped to revolutionise rain-affected cricket, has died aged 84.

The Lytham-born statistician created the Duckworth-Lewis method, a model to recalculate scores when limited-over matches were curtailed by weather conditions, with fellow Lancastrian Tony Lewis.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the County Championship fixture between Kent and Lancashire, in response to the Kent first innings total of 244, Lancashire lost Jennings at the score of 7-1, but an excellent triple hundred stand of 312 by Wells (150) and Bohannon (182 not out) steadied matters. At the end of day 2, Lancashire were 402-4.
On day 3, Lancashire took their 1st innings total to 549-9 declared, then took some wickets.

On day 4, Lancashire bowled Kent all out for 222, winning by an innings and 83 runs.

SteveM70

Established Member
So.

Sussex v Leicestershire

Leicestershire were set an unlikely 464 to win and slumped to 144/6

Enter Louis Kimber

Leicestershire 375/7 at lunch, the highlights of which were:

- Leicestershire scored 232 off 29 overs (and remember there are no fielding restrictions)

- Louis Kimber 191 not out off 92 balls with 16 sixes and 18 fours

- Kimber took a first class record 43 off one over from Ollie Robinson

[UPDATE]

Kimber now 203 not out off 100 balls, the fastest double century in the history of the county championship all first class cricket

[UPDATE]

Kimber hits his 18th six, a new county championship record, beating Ben Stokes' 17

[UPDATE]

Kimber last man out for 243 (20x4, 21x6); Sussex win by 18 runs

Runs scored whilst Kimber at the crease:

- Kimber 243

- Ben Cox 34

- Ben Mike 3

- Josh Hull 0*

- Extras 21

Truly remarkable

Last edited:

bspahh

Established Member
So.

Sussex v Leicestershire

Leicestershire were set an unlikely 464 to win and slumped to 144/6

Enter Louis Kimber

Leicestershire 375/7 at lunch, the highlights of which were:

- Leicestershire scored 232 off 29 overs (and remember there are no fielding restrictions)

- Louis Kimber 191 not out off 92 balls with 16 sixes and 18 fours

- Kimber took a first class record 43 off one over from Ollie Robinson

[UPDATE]

Kimber now 203 not out off 100 balls, the fastest double century in the history of the county championship all first class cricket

[UPDATE]

Kimber hits his 18th six, a new county championship record, beating Ben Stokes' 17
There is a video of the 43 run over at https://x.com/CountyChamp/status/1805925704548089975

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Kimber's was a remarkable innings, but according to Wisden it's the second fastest double century in First Class cricket, behind one in 2018 of 89 balls somewhere on the Indian sub-continent, not sure which country.

It was only a shame imo that Rehan Ahmed wasn't playing in this match with the opportunity to help his team-mate. Actually, the performances of possible contenders for the English test team didn't in the main help their cause, with Jack Leach wicketless at Trent Bridge despite a very long bowl, Shoaib Bashir suffering badly against Surrey, Ollie Robinson the bowler who gifted Kimber a good deal of those runs, Pope another nothing score and Potts unable to achieve anything today other than a nightwatchman's dismissal. Jimmy Anderson never turned out against Kent, maybe because Rob Key thought he'might find Crawley out straightaway: in the event, Crawley missed the cut anyway. One who did excel was Dan Lawrence, and his bowling continues to take wickets too. However, he doesn't seem to be in the in-crowd: wrong school syndrome I feel, unlike Pope!

Oh, and Hartley still can't get a game for Lancs with Lyon still on their books. Pathetic!

SteveM70

Established Member
Kimber's was a remarkable innings, but according to Wisden it's the second fastest double century in First Class cricket, behind one in 2018 of 89 balls somewhere on the Indian sub-continent, not sure which country

So I was right first time, fastest in the county championship

High Dyke

Established Member
A ruthless demolition of New Zealand by England in the first Women's ODI. On course for a ten-wicket win, but lost Bouchier with 20 runs required. Still a stand of 137 for the first wicket bodes well for this series.

Domestically, a fantastic win for Blaze in the Charlotte Edwards Cup final last Saturday. They saw off Central Sparks in the semi-final and South East Stars in the final.

Elsewhere, England Men's Deaf team lost their IT20 series against India with a match to spare.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
So I was right first time, fastest in the county championship
The post I replied to had that bit crossed through and replaced by first class cricket! From what you say, I gather it wasn't you that altered it. Personally, I don't think anyone else should be allowed to alter what anyone else writes and I certainly wouldn't dream of doing so.

SteveM70

Established Member
The post I replied to had that bit crossed through and replaced by first class cricket! From what you say, I gather it wasn't you that altered it. Personally, I don't think anyone else should be allowed to alter what anyone else writes and I certainly wouldn't dream of doing so.

No, it was me, but when I corrected it back the edit didn't save for whatever reason (probably me, or PEBKAC * as the support documentation for a project I once delivered said). I'll change it again now

* Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No, it was me, but when I corrected it back the edit didn't save for whatever reason (probably me, or PEBKAC * as the support documentation for a project I once delivered said). I'll change it again now

* Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
Thanks for explaining - no problems.

Jimini

Established Member
Pretty comprehensive victory for South Africa in the wee small hours, brushing aside Afghanistan who were bowled out for 56.

Meanwhile, it's raining in Guyana so no play in the England / India game as yet. No reserve day for this fixture, so if there no / not enough play later, India will progress on net run rate and knock us out.

Harvester

Established Member
Up to this game, had India won all their matches?
Apart from one in the first Group stage against Canada, that was washed out without a ball being bowled.

They completely outplayed England this evening. Livingstone’s awful run out perfectly summed up England’s poor performance!