• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Will Joffra Archer and Ollie Stone return to the England squad in the future?
I'd be really surprised if Archer plays another red ball game. With his injury issues, playing any form of cricket seems to be challenge for him, so I can imagine he'll concentrate on T20 bowling as easier on the body (and lucrative).

Howardh

Established Member
Dozy dozy Bairstow, probably cost us the Ashes by taking a nice little afternoon stroll.

SteveM70

Established Member
Dozy dozy Bairstow, probably cost us the Ashes by taking a nice little afternoon stroll.

Absolutely braindead play from Bairstow, and brilliant by Carey who'd seen Bairstow walking out of his crease after previous balls and anticipated it by throwing at the stumps before Bairstow went wandering off.

No way the ball was dead, and its embarrassing to hear boos and chants of "same old Aussies always cheating". At least it helps Lords get away from its elitist reputation I suppose

[EDIT]

This is the relevant bit of the laws:

20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

Carey threw the ball immediately after he received it, he clearly didn't regard the ball as having ceased being in play

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Absolutely braindead play from Bairstow, and brilliant by Carey who'd seen Bairstow walking out of his crease after previous balls and anticipated it by throwing at the stumps before Bairstow went wandering off.

No way the ball was dead, and its embarrassing to hear boos and chants of "same old Aussies always cheating". At least it helps Lords get away from its elitist reputation I suppose
They wouldn't be booing if it had been Steve Smith batting.

Purple Train

Established Member
The BBC are referring to him as being run out. The scorecard has him as stumped. Which is it?

It's within the laws - I wouldn't call it sportsmanlike, but it's within the laws, so I have no issue with it, and agree that it is poor by Bairstow. However, anyone agreeing with this decision but still grumbling about Starc's "catch" (looking at you, Mr G McGrath) needs to have a long, hard look at themselves!

Purple Train

Established Member
Bowling at the stumps is over rated these days it seems.
Mindless bowling that will cost us the game.
We've done that as well though. Stuart Broad bowling bouncers at a hopping Nathan Lyon was ridiculous.
It's wonderfully entertaining cricket - though I have stopped talking to my Aussie correspondent after the Bairstow incident ;)

Darandio

Established Member
I'm certainly not a die hard cricket fan but do watch the Ashes and the main international tournaments but i've never seen Lords quite like this.

Howardh

Established Member
Amidst all the chaos and Stokes in his superhero outfit, Stokes is trying to protect a number eight. We are so weak in the last four we have to protect them - that's something that needs addressing; if Anderson is rested and Moeen comes in at Headingley then that's a help, but we really need a genuine all-rounder (assuming that Stokes is really in the team for his batting) at 8.

Six down and 128 to win would be gettable if 8 and 9 had decent averages.

Darandio

Established Member

[EDIT]

This is the relevant bit of the laws:

20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

Carey threw the ball immediately after he received it, he clearly didn't regard the ball as having ceased being in play

The umpire seemed to consider it dead, he was looking down and taking the bowlers glasses out of his cap! Poor all round really.

SteveM70

Established Member
The umpire seemed to consider it dead, he was looking down and taking the bowlers glasses out of his cap! Poor all round really.

It was bad umpiring really. The ump anticipated that nothing would happen, he should have been watching. I honestly don't see what the complaints are - Carey received and threw the ball in a single action, there's no way it was a dead ball.

And Stuart Broad lecturing people on how to be sportsmanlike is hilarious

DelW

Established Member
Australia were almost guaranteed the win without resorting to pretty dubious tactics. The Bairstow runout just means that the almost inevitable Aussie win will for many be tainted by the controversy.

Plus it reminds everyone of the residual stench of the Smith / Warner win-at-all-costs era, when premeditated cheating was promoted by their senior players.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Stokes batting on one leg is akin to Gordon Greenidge. His 214 not out at Lord's in 1984 helped West Indies to a thrilling victory target of 342 in the second test, the most successfully chased at HQ. The omens might be good while Ben remains!!

SteveM70

Established Member
Lost by 43 runs. Much closer than I expected!

Hopefully something changes for the next three Tests. Maybe - dare I say it - a Dom Sibley type at the top of the order, seeing how important Khawaja has been for Australia?

Unfortunately I suspect it’ll be Ali for Anderson and possibly Wood for one of Robinson and Broad

rangersac

Australia were almost guaranteed the win without resorting to pretty dubious tactics. The Bairstow runout just means that the almost inevitable Aussie win will for many be tainted by the controversy.

Plus it reminds everyone of the residual stench of the Smith / Warner win-at-all-costs era, when premeditated cheating was promoted by their senior players.

There's absolutely nothing dubious about what Carey did. He received the ball and under-armed it in one continual motion so there can be no question the ball was somehow dead. In fact if you look at when he releases the ball, Bairstow is still in his crease and then dozily wanders out. Brain fade by Jonny, plain and simple.

JD2168

What was Johnny Bairstow thinking of, all he had to do was stand still then the stumping by Carey would not have been possible. It left too much for Ben Stokes to do mostly on his own although he gave it a very good effort, once he went it was probably inevitable that Australia would win the match.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bairstow: legally out

Morally: poor show. Very poor show indeed. Not cricket.

That the Aussies got stick off the MCC members(!) in the Long Room and were booed by a Lords (!) crowd should indicate to them how far they are from the spirit of the game

So be it. If the Aussies want to play that way then so can we.

Come in Douglas Jardine. All is forgiven.

Greenheart

I don't see Bairstow's dismissal as being even slightly controversial. The umpires made the right decision, as they did with the Starc 'catch'.

This is the problem with having 'unwritten rules/laws', perfectly good dismissals as a result of a player's lack of thought are somehow seen as a Faux Pas. Previous similar incidents, like Greig/Kallicharan, and Ian Bell against India, should also have stood imo with no recall for the batsmen.

There was nearly a similar incident at Old Trafford in 2005, England needed one wicket to win and Matthew Hoggard had gathered the ball from Geraint Jones - the batsman Glenn McGrath had wandered out of his crease and the vibe then was oh what a chance England had lost (or how dozy Hoggard was), nothing really about how shameful such an action would be.

GS250

Not interested in the Bairstow nonsense.

What I am interested in is how we replace Broad and Anderson, find a spinner who's any good and add some brains to our no doubt talented batsmen. Plus play our best keeper.

Not overly panicking here. Both games could have gone either way although to me it clear Australia are a better side than us. We were an utter joke and a shambles just over a year ago. Rudderless and scared of our own shadow. However 'Bazball' has put us solid mid table but I can't see us getting any better unless the above items are addressed.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Not interested in the Bairstow nonsense.

What I am interested in is how we replace Broad and Anderson, find a spinner who's any good and add some brains to our no doubt talented batsmen. Plus play our best keeper.

Not overly panicking here. Both games could have gone either way although to me it clear Australia are a better side than us. We were an utter joke and a shambles just over a year ago. Rudderless and scared of our own shadow. However 'Bazball' has put us solid mid table but I can't see us getting any better unless the above items are addressed.
Would you pick Foakes as Keeper?