• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
England 67-1 at close, still needing 332 to win. Duckett is the man out, for 28.
Odds on a tie??! The commentators suggest the game will be over tomorrow, but even allowing for England's aggressive batting and the possibility to add 8 overs, I can't see England scoring at 3.3 runs/over all day to win it in the day. Be wonderful if they could!

Harvester

Established Member
Odds on a tie??! The commentators suggest the game will be over tomorrow, but even allowing for England's aggressive batting and the possibility to add 8 overs, I can't see England scoring at 3.3 runs/over all day to win it in the day. Be wonderful if they could!
The odds on a tie (England all out for exactly 398 in their 2nd innings) will be very very very high. A draw is very unlikely too, as there are 2 days left to play. so unless the weather intervenes………….

Howardh

Established Member
The odds on a tie (England all out for exactly 398 in their 2nd innings) will be very very very high. A draw is very unlikely too, as there are 2 days left to play. so unless the weather intervenes………….

If they opened with Boycott and Tavare from the 80's there's no way they could get 398 in two-and-a-bit days!!

HST43257

Established Member
That will surely easily happen if England win. England won't shut up shop at any point. They just need to go with the beautiful measured aggression we saw towards the end of the Ashes

75A

Established Member
That will surely easily happen if England win. England won't shut up shop at any point. They just need to go with the beautiful measured aggression we saw towards the end of the Ashes
Which England didn't win.
The series finished 2-2.
England haven't held them since 2015, no matter what style of cricket thty play.

Harvester

Established Member
Latest SBK betting odds on India v England 2nd Test.

India 9/100 on
England 7/1 against
Draw 49/1 against

Howardh

Established Member
Latest SBK betting odds on India v England 2nd Test.

India 9/100 on
England 7/1 against
Draw 49/1 against
The draw's almost impossible unless weather intervenes (no idea of the forecast) - I would have thought given two clear days a tie is more likely than a draw!

On saying that, some situation could occur outside of weather interference, forcing a draw, such as death, vandalism of the wicket, terrorism, or even a very nasty bug going through the teams etc so although most unlikely, could happen.

Harvester

Established Member
The draw's almost impossible unless weather intervenes (no idea of the forecast) - I would have thought given two clear days a tie is more likely than a draw!
A tie is when the total runs scored by each side (from their 1st and 2nd innings) in the match is equal! This has only happened once or twice in Test Match history. A draw is when no result is achieved for whatever reason, within the time frame of the match.

Howardh

Established Member
A tie is when the total runs scored by each side (from their 1st and 2nd innings) in the match is equal! This has only happened once or twice in Test Match history. A draw is when no result is achieved for whatever reason, within the time frame of the match.
*Pedant alert!!!*..and both teams are all out. If a team is one short of the required total but not all out (ie the final ball) then that is a draw!

Without checking, think that's happened twice in tests; it certainly happened to Lancashire a few seasons ago v Somerset, when scores were level with two Somerset wickets remaining, and Lancs took both those wickets for a genuine tie!

Video showing the highlights and some brain-dead batting at the close!

SteveM70

Established Member
*Pedant alert!!!*..and both teams are all out. If a team is one short of the required total but not all out (ie the final ball) then that is a draw!

*Pedant alert!!!*….and the team batting last are all out (or have no remaining fit batsmen in the event of a retirement)

The team batting third can declare and the game can still end in a tie

I actually agree with this, but only insofar as a draw (given the weather forecast is good) is almost impossible, whilst a tie is merely highly, highly unlikely

HST43257

Established Member
Which England didn't win.
The series finished 2-2.
England haven't held them since 2015, no matter what style of cricket thty play.
Note I said toward the end. I don’t dispute that we batted stupidly to lose the first 2 tests, but we won 2 and drew (win if it hadn’t been for rain) 1 in spectacular fashion. It wasn’t stupid, it was calculated and classy aggression. I am referring to those last 3 tests

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Note I said toward the end. I don’t dispute that we batted stupidly to lose the first 2 tests, but we won 2 and drew (win if it hadn’t been for rain) 1 in spectacular fashion. It wasn’t stupid, it was calculated and classy aggression. I am referring to those last 3 tests
I can't agree with your assertion that England would have won if it hadn't been for rain. It was likely they would have done, agreed, but with the volatility of those matches Australia still stood a reasonable chance with the position the match was left in.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Hartley did quite well with both bat and ball in this second Test Match of his career. Whilst being selected for his bowling, in the England second innings, he was joint second top scorer with 36.

I see that Jimmy Anderson has added yet another Test Match "not out" to add to his large total of these.... :p

75A

Established Member
You got me thinking - how many as he had and the answer is amazing.
Todays was his 103rd in 170 Test Matches.
Next best is West Indian Courtney Walsh with 61 in 132 games, so I think Jimmy will be holding this record for a long time to come - well done.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You got me thinking - how many as he had and the answer is amazing.
Todays was his 103rd in 170 Test Matches.
Next best is West Indian Courtney Walsh with 61 in 132 games, so I think Jimmy will be holding this record for a long time to come - well done.
Even better when you consider he wasn't dismissed for a duck until he'd completed a large number of test innings. Maybe he has the best defence of any test batsman in history. ;)

SteveM70

Established Member
Even better when you consider he wasn't dismissed for a duck until he'd completed a large number of test innings. Maybe he has the best defence of any test batsman in history. ;)

I wonder if its also anything to do with the quality of the batsman at the other end, and that the other bod often gets out first, perhaps because he's not very good, or perhaps because he perceives the Burnley Lara as being even worse and plays over aggressively thinking he may as well crack on

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder if its also anything to do with the quality of the batsman at the other end, and that the other bod often gets out first, perhaps because he's not very good, or perhaps because he perceives the Burnley Lara as being even worse and plays over aggressively thinking he may as well crack on
His highest Test Match score, made some time ago, was 81 against India at Trent Bridge. Root and he scored the highest recorded last wicket stand of 198 for the 10th wicket in that match.

I am sure that will always be a memory to remember for him.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
His highest Test Match score, made some time ago, was 81 against India at Trent Bridge. Root and he scored the highest recorded last wicket stand of 198 for the 10th wicket in that match.

I am sure that will always be a memory to remember for him.
I don't think he was ever a 'rabbit.' There are worse batting at no. 9 imo.

Pakenhamtrain

The worlds first One Afternoon International was played in Canberra today. With the whole of game 3 of the ODI series completed before 6PM local time despite it starting at 2.30PM

WI put on a putrid batting display and being bowled out for 86 in 24.1 overs. Australia chased it down in 6.5 overs

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The worlds first One Afternoon International was played in Canberra today. With the whole of game 3 of the ODI series completed before 6PM local time despite it starting at 2.30PM

WI put on a putrid batting display and being bowled out for 86 in 24.1 overs. Australia chased it down in 6.5 overs
"One Afternoon International"... :rolleyes: ...Will there be no end to the dumbing down of an international match.

SteveM70

Established Member
It says a lot about the state of West Indian cricket - how the mighty have fallen.

However they won the second test against Australia. They aren’t what they once were, but there seems to be some promise of better times to come

75A

Established Member
The next generation don't seem that inspiring though.
The under 19 World Cup is on at the moment and they've not progessed to the semi finals (neither have England)
Hosts South Africa have just made 244-7 against India & Australia play Pakistan on Thursday.

The next generation don't seem that inspiring though.
The under 19 World Cup is on at the moment and they've not progessed to the semi finals (neither have England)
Hosts South Africa have just made 244-7 against India & Australia play Pakistan on Thursday.
Superb game, India won by 2 wickets after going from 32-4 to 203-5 before reaching 248-8.

Pakistan bowled out for 179 with Tom Straker taking 6- 24.

A nail biting finish, Oz won by 1 wicket with 5 balls to spare.

The final is on Sunday

Last edited: