• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
I think Hartley has proved himself, so no wonder they've not called up a replacement
I’m more scared of the prospect of Bashir for 3 more Tests. I’m very happy with Hartley and decently happy with Ahmed but Bashir isn’t made for this quite yet

Whistler40145

Established Member
I agree with Bashir being a bit suspect

Wouldn't it be safer to go with two quicks, with Hartley, Ahmed and Root providing spin?

75A

Established Member
A very good day for Australia.
The T20 side beat the W.Indies by 34 runs, follwed by the Under 19's beating India (the holders) by 79 runs to win the U19 World Cup for the 4th time.

SteveHFC

but Bashir isn’t made for this quite yet

I agree with Bashir being a bit suspect
Now watch Bashir take a load of wickets in the next test. Seem to remember some people writing off Tom Hartley after the first innings of the first test. Whilst I agree Bashir is behind Ahmed and Hartley at the moment - is it really fair to judge him on just one test? We are far too quick to judge players (of all sports) in this country. Let's give them a chance.

If they did decide to bring in another spinner, who would people go for? I know that Rashid's shoulder isn't up to the rigours of test cricket, otherwise he'd be playing. I'd be going for Liam Dawson personally.

A very good day for Australia.
The T20 side beat the W.Indies by 34 runs, follwed by the Under 19's beating India (the holders) by 79 runs to win the U19 World Cup for the 4th time.
Yes, a very good day. Didn't see the T20, but caught most of the run chase of the U19's - thoroughly deserved win for the Aussies. Always enjoy watching the U19s World Cup - always interesting to see which youngsters make it into senior international cricket.

75A

Established Member
Interesting to see that India have won it 5 times, Oz 4, Pakistan twice, England, South Africa, West Indies & Bangladesh once.
Looking forward to Namibia / Zimbabwe in 2026.

HST43257

Established Member
Now watch Bashir take a load of wickets in the next test. Seem to remember some people writing off Tom Hartley after the first innings of the first test. Whilst I agree Bashir is behind Ahmed and Hartley at the moment - is it really fair to judge him on just one test? We are far too quick to judge players (of all sports) in this country. Let's give them a chance.
I’m not judging Bashir on one Test, I’m judging him on several largely poor outings in the championship - of which I watched plenty of on the livestream. Say what you like about Stokes liking a tweet of couple of overs of Bashir vs Cook, but he hardly looked like high quality, and whilst he’s improved he’s still not there imo.

Hartley has always shown glimpses of promise. I saw in person his fighting spirit with his 39(21) in the Roses T20. And his excellent Championship bowling performances towards the end of the 2022 season, not to mention his pretty decent bowling for Lancs throughout this year. It’s no surprise to see him delivering fairly well with both bat and ball.

If they did decide to bring in another spinner, who would people go for? I know that Rashid's shoulder isn't up to the rigours of test cricket, otherwise he'd be playing. I'd be going for Liam Dawson personally.
Dawson without a doubt. No clue if he’s got any pre-PSL commitments but would’ve been well useful to have him in. Should’ve had him from the start. Would still have also looked at Matt Parkinson as, even though he doesn’t have many variations, he can turn it very well - that was always a thing Shane Warne said about him. Also a shame Liam Patterson-White was dropped by Notts, he was really promising.

ian1944

Having been critical of Hartley, I'm happy to admit that his performances since have been at a different level. Maybe it was my belittling of him that did it? I've form in this regard, years ago I said that Ian Bell wasn't a test batter, whereupon he became indispensable.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I wouldn't bring in Dawson: his previous tests showed he isn't test class, including when he was flown in as an injury replacement. His bowling record for England in all formats is pretty mediocre. Saying he had a great Summer season for Hampshire in English conditions is irrelevant, it was the reason the ageing Gareth Batty was brought back for a final swansong on a previous tour to India which ended in results so dismal I'm reluctant to look them up! I think, anyway, we have to look beyond Leach. He's a lovely guy, I'm sure, and Stokes will stand by him but his body isn't up to it all and he'll never take a ton of wickets in an innings now, whereas Hartley already has. Ahmed too is the future, though India is not the best place for a leggie, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to score a test century soon, too. Now watch him fall cheaply in his next few innings!

75A

Established Member
326-5 @ the close.
Rohit got 131 before being caught by Srokes off Wood, who was Englands best bowler - 3 - 69 off 19 overs.
Jadeta was 110 not out.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That missed catch by Root would have seen the fourth wicket go down when the score had only reached 69.

On day 2, England take two very early wickets leaving India on 346-7 after 96 overs. Jajeda was caught and bowled by Root for 112 and Anderson, starting with two maiden overs, took his 696th wicket in Test Matches.

Last edited:

HST43257

Established Member
Later order Indian batsmen scored well.....
Number 8....Jurel 46
Number 9... Ashwin 37
Number 10...Bumrah 26
Jurel a proper bat and Ashwin a quality all rounder but Bumrah shouldn't be making runs.

In breaking news, Ashwin has been ruled out of the remainder of the Test due to a family emergency. Best wishes to him of course.

75A

Established Member
England are looking down the barrel of a huge thumping.
They went from 207-2 to 319 all out giving India a first innings lead of over 100. Highlights being Joe Root getting caught @ slip as a result of a reverse sweep, and Jonny Bairstow being lbw for a 4 ball duck.
India then set about getting a huge lead with Yashasvi Jaiswal getting a quick 100 before retiring hurt, at the close they were 196-2 giving them a lead of 322 with 8 wickets and 2 days left, to finish the tourists off and win the series.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
India have finally declared their second innings at 430-4, leaving England a massive 557 to win!

Harvester

Established Member
Both England openers have gone for 18 runs. The size of this looming defeat will be rather embarrassing!

Well it’s all over! India have bowled England out for 122, winning by 434 runs.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well it’s all over! India have bowled England out for 122, winning by 434 runs.
I suppose that I still have the consolation of knowing that England still have the record of winning a Test Match margin, run-wise, made even more palatable by the knowledge that it was against the "old enemy"

In the 1928/1929 Ashes series held in Australia. the First Test was played at Brisbane:-
England 521 and 342-8 declared
Australia 122 and 66.
England won by 675 runs...and went on to win the series 4-1.

ian1944

Anderson none for a lot at over 6 an over, including being swiped for 6, 6, 6. For quite a while, I've thought that the only reason for his continuing was to ensure Broad didn't catch up in wickets, so as soon as he retired our Jimmy should have as well. Maybe he'll stagger to 700, but he'll have to be picked first which is not certain given this degree of ineffectualness. In a different sport, Barry John went too soon (due to not handling the adulation) but better than too late. I think that Broad got it just right.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anderson none for a lot at over 6 an over, including being swiped for 6, 6, 6. For quite a while, I've thought that the only reason for his continuing was to ensure Broad didn't catch up in wickets, so as soon as he retired our Jimmy should have as well. Maybe he'll stagger to 700, but he'll have to be picked first which is not certain given this degree of ineffectualness. In a different sport, Barry John went too soon (due to not handling the adulation) but better than too late. I think that Broad got it just right.
If you take away those 18 runs from three balls. what was his bowling return from the remainder of his bowling stint?

ian1944

If you take away those 18 runs from three balls. what was his bowling return from the remainder of his bowling stint?
!2.3 for 60, 4.8 an over. But what's your point? Why not take off all of the boundaries, or all of the scoring strokes? The bowler is a package and is judged on the entirety. OK, three lucky slashes (hypothetically) through the slips don't count as much, but the sixes in question were struck with intent from balls which deserved it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
!2.3 for 60, 4.8 an over. But what's your point? Why not take off all of the boundaries, or all of the scoring strokes? The bowler is a package and is judged on the entirety. OK, three lucky slashes (hypothetically) through the slips don't count as much, but the sixes in question were struck with intent from balls which deserved it.
Of all the England bowling attack, only Hartley (3.39 runs per over) conceded less than four runs per over on averages in the India 2nd innings.

75A

Established Member
Just seen the result makes me proud to be English (not), a complete embarrasment, still no doubt they'll still get the traditional OBE's etc on their return.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I suppose that I still have the consolation of knowing that England still have the record of winning a Test Match margin, run-wise, made even more palatable by the knowledge that it was against the "old enemy"

In the 1928/1929 Ashes series held in Australia. the First Test was played at Brisbane:-
England 521 and 342-8 declared
Australia 122 and 66.
England won by 675 runs...and went on to win the series 4-1.
The defeat by 434 runs was England's worst in run terms since 1934. Ben Duckett should really keep his mouth shut!

Jaiswal's two double centuries in consecutive tests is the third time this has been achieved, the previous ones being the inevitable Bradman and the almost forgotten Kambli of India.

On Moderation
I'd question what your point is. You're making a knee-jerk reaction on the basis of one test match. Just to remind you, Anderson had match figures of 5 for 76 in the last test...

Whistler40145

Established Member
It's pretty sad to hear that Mike Procter has passed away following a cardiac attack during heart surgery.

He was a great all rounder, especially for Gloucestershire, nicknamed Proctershire.

RIP Mike