• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-Border Concession Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Unless the rules have changed recently, ENCTS and WNCTS (is that the name for the Welsh one?) passes can be used on the cross-border route between Bristol and Newport, although journeys entirely in the opposite country are not permitted. I was under the impression that this was the only such route in England that allowed this, but I've found another such route - the 67 in Berwick - that allows this as well.

So what other routes are there? It might be interesting to compile a list of those routes which do and do not accept mutliple passes for those who are interested. I assume that English passes are not valid on the X95, for instance - or, if I'm wrong, does the validity stretch all the way to Edinburgh?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Unless the rules have changed recently, ENCTS and WNCTS (is that the name for the Welsh one?) passes can be used on the cross-border route between Bristol and Newport, although journeys entirely in the opposite country are not permitted. I was under the impression that this was the only such route in England that allowed this, but I've found another such route - the 67 in Berwick - that allows this as well.

So what other routes are there? It might be interesting to compile a list of those routes which do and do not accept mutliple passes for those who are interested. I assume that English passes are not valid on the X95, for instance - or, if I'm wrong, does the validity stretch all the way to Edinburgh?

I didn't know you could get to Wales from Berwick! <D

More seriously, Transport Scotland say at http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk...y-travel/who-qualifies/Terms-Conditions-FAQs:

Transport Scotland said:
Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed travel
Your National Entitlement Card is valid on services to and from Carlisle and on services to and from Berwick-upon-Tweed from anywhere in Scotland. It is also valid for travel within these towns.

However, going the other way, Cumbria council specifically says that services into Scotland are not covered by the English card (http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/Content/Internet/544/931/6163/40879143038.pdf).

Last edited:

Smethwickian

There are some arrangements permitting Herefordshire-issued ENCT pass-holders to travel to/from certain nearby Welsh destinations such as Hay-on-Wye. These additional local concessions pre-date the England-wide scheme.
Non-locals with other English passes would not be able to take advantage.

DunsBus

Established Member
No English passes are valid for any journeys into Scotland.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk...ry-travel/who-qualifies/Terms-Conditions-FAQs

Main reason why Scottish Passengers are allowed, to on service into Carlisle and berwick is because some Scottish village etc closer to those towns.

I WILL SAY THIS there kept that quilt about traveling around the town.

Taking a village near to me (Paxton, which is just inside Scotland) you have to get a bus into Berwick to get any of the buses going from there to Scottish destinations. Scottish concession passes are valid on services going into Berwick and Carlisle from Scotland but are not valid on the city services in Carlisle or on the town services in Berwick.

Not sure what the situation is for Cumbrian passes but I do know that Northumberland ones are vaild for the full routes of the two services from Berwick to Galashiels (First 60 via Duns, Perryman's 67 via Kelso) and as far as Eyemouth on Travelsure service 34 and Perryman's services 235 and 253.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Scottish concession passes are valid on services going into Berwick and Carlisle from Scotland but are not valid on the city services in Carlisle or on the town services in Berwick.

That's not what the Travel Scotland terms and conditions say on their website. Are different conditions issued with the card?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
That's not what the Travel Scotland terms and conditions say on their website. Are different conditions issued with the card?

A grey area0I think. From experience in Carlisle as a Scottish pass holder In Carlisle I have found that runs e.g X95, 179, 79 etc etc which cross the border will take a pass for a local trip in or out of the city from say Louther Street to the Kingstown road but a Carlisle0city network bus woant do this on the exact same route.
As to the English cards I went down to Carlisle earlier in the week mainly to bash the new First Inviros on X95 and on my return run north observed a lady traveling to Langholm use her I assume Cumbria0issued pass to Longtown and paying a cash fare from there onwards.

Polarbear

Established Member
Holders of passes issued by Cheshire are allowed to use cross border services as long as their journey starts/ends within England.

This is quite generous as from Chester, you are able to access Wrexham, Mold & even Rhyl on through services from Chester.

DunsBus

Established Member
English passes are valid on the 67 from Berwick to Galashiels, provided that the journey either starts or finishes within England.

For journeys entirely within Scotland, English pass holders have to pay half fare

http://www.perrymansbuses.co.uk/bus-services/concessionary-bus-passes

Same with the First 60 as well, full route for English passholders provided that the journey starts or finishes in England.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That'd be the same link I gave in post 2!

:oops:

Should've gone to Specsavers... :lol:

34D

Established Member
Unless the rules have changed recently, ENCTS and WNCTS (is that the name for the Welsh one?)

No. The welsh one is 'Cerdyn Cymru' and the Scottish one is the 'National Entitlement Card'. Both ITSO.

Great thread. Perhaps we can move it towards a comprehensive list?

Status
Not open for further replies.