• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country Service Reductions and Alterations, 28-11-2021 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Some Manchesters apparently aren't running this Saturday.
Looking at RTT, I see these trains are not shown as cancelled. They are not shown at all. If trains can just be removed from the timetable, is this a ploy to avoid a penalty payment, or do these not apply any more with the end of franchising? 12 trains all day Manchester to Birmingham on a Saturday two weeks before Christmas, and that includes one at 05.11!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
They are not shown at all. If trains can just be removed from the timetable, is this a ploy to avoid a penalty payment, or do these not apply any more with the end of franchising?
New timetable starts today, so it's entirely possible they were never planned to run.
(nothing to see here)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looking at RTT, I see these trains are not shown as cancelled. They are not shown at all. If trains can just be removed from the timetable, is this a ploy to avoid a penalty payment, or do these not apply any more with the end of franchising? 12 trains all day Manchester to Birmingham on a Saturday two weeks before Christmas, and that includes one at 05.11!
They've been summarily removed from the timetable, something known as "P-coding".

It's a disgusting practice if you ask me - it purely serves to massage punctuality statistics and is very unhelpful to passengers as they will be left wondering why their booked train has disappeared. A true "railwayism" if there ever was one.

I'm sure they will also seek to deny delay compensation to anyone who is affected, on the basis that "that's the timetable that was in place at 10pm the night before".

Falcon1200

Established Member
They've been summarily removed from the timetable, something known as "P-coding".

It's a disgusting practice if you ask me - it purely serves to massage punctuality statistics and is very unhelpful to passengers as they will be left wondering why their booked train has disappeared. A true "railwayism" if there ever was one.

I have to agree - Despite having been responsible for requesting and agreeing Emergency Timetables with TOCs during my career ! The 'logic' is that if TT alterations can be agreed by 2200 for the next day, trains can be altered and removed from the TT and the altered TT becomes the booked service, hence the removed trains do not appear on departure screens at all, instead of appearing and being shown cancelled. The process has been used for what could be termed genuine reasons, eg an ongoing line blockage, but also in other situations such as day-to-day traincrew shortages. IMHO the very least that should be done is to amend the process so that the Emergency TT cannot be agreed for the next day but the day after, therefore giving a whole day for the alterations to be properly publicised and, hopefully, passengers made aware.

XAM2175

Established Member
But this was yesterday (Saturday).
Oh sorry, I read it as Sunday! Sounds like I need to give Specsavers a call :p

Yes, very disappointing behaviour.

geoffk

Established Member
Oh sorry, I read it as Sunday! Sounds like I need to give Specsavers a call :p

Yes, very disappointing behaviour.
I doubt that XC is the only perpetrator of this practice. The sad thing is neither the DfT nor Treasury will probably care very much. Saturday travel is nearly all “only” for leisure.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I doubt that XC is the only perpetrator of this practice. The sad thing is neither the DfT nor Treasury will probably care very much. Saturday travel is nearly all “only” for leisure.
Indeed I very much doubt they're currently the only ones. SWT was an enthusiastic user of such practices in the past and no doubt SWR as continued it.

geoffk

Established Member
Indeed I very much doubt they're currently the only ones. SWT was an enthusiastic user of such practices in the past and no doubt SWR as continued it.
I'm told by a colleague in Lancashire that the Clitheroe line has only a train every three hours today, whereas the Sunday service should be hourly. This seems to be the "new normal". The principle of delay repay or not under these circumstances should be established via Transport Focus, the only quasi statutory* body which can deal with such matters.

* an "independent watchdog" sponsored by DfT!

Status
Not open for further replies.