• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country Service Reductions and Alterations, 28-11-2021 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The rdw agreement is between XC and XC drivers, you won’t see the evidence because it’s got nothing to do with you.
The agreement is with a company acting on the instructions of the government (effectively as their agents), and the dispute has effects on both taxpayers and passengers. In the circumstances, I think members of the public are quite entitled to know what's going on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
The agreement is with a company acting on the instructions of the government (effectively as their agents), and the dispute has effects on both taxpayers and passengers. In the circumstances, I think members of the public are quite entitled to know what's going on.
It’s still a private company regardless.

NoOnesFool

So how many strings do the DaFT pull with CrossCountry? And will CrossCountry be getting a KPI charge for these missing services? I wonder who signed off the idea to axe the Southampton - Newcastle direct services.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Thanks for that, I didn't know this was a general policy. I know they reverse at Reading/BHM on South Coast services but this was a Plymouth one which goes straight through. It makes sense now, especially as they don't have a closed fleet that they can ensure leaves the depot a set way. I booked through LNER (where First is usually at a set position).
Also, you may get a rare reversal at say Bristol Temple Meads, Birmingham New Street, Derby, Sheffield, Leeds and even Newcastle which is another reason why CrossCountry don't offer a choice of direction - that they may have to reverse.

That's handy as the last thing you want to have is you book forwards then find your train ends up reversing during a journey (happened on a GWR 8-coach HST once as there was signalling issues at Bristol Temple Meads, March 2017).

hello

There is no dispute, drivers are just having there days off, off, and for that reason it clearly shows that the company does not employ enough staff to run the service that it is meant to be providing.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can't think of any other industry that as a matter of normal service relies on overtime like that year round.

I can, and have worked in a couple! And, to my recollection, neither had a RDW was all voluntary on the individual.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’s still a private company regardless.
LNER, Northern and SE are all legally private companies and yet they are subject to FoI. The legal status of the operator has little bearing on whether it's in taxpayers' and passengers' legitimate interests for there to be transparency.

So how many strings do the DaFT pull with CrossCountry?
All of them. If the DfT say jump, XC will simply ask how high (as with all other "franchisees") .

And will CrossCountry be getting a KPI charge for these missing services?
They are doing exactly what the DfT wants. So, err, no.

I wonder who signed off the idea to axe the Southampton - Newcastle direct services.
The DfT.

There is no dispute
Not formally. But it would be awfully naive to think this isn't industrial action short of a strike. There has been a RDW agreement for years, and the normal running of the service relies on there being one.

for that reason it clearly shows that the company does not employ enough staff to run the service that it is meant to be providing.
I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
As this is clearly a shortage of drivers im guessing this won't have a quick resolution, even if XC have drivers under training or instruction currently, so the Dept of T should be holding XC to account for what the recover plan and timeline is and sharing that with passengers.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It has always been that way. There us no such thing as a perfect world when it comes to traincrew cover. Even when depot establishments are full RDW & overtime is still rife. It's the nature of the beast.
"It has always been that way" is a pretty lousy excuse to be honest.
I can, and have worked in a couple! And, to my recollection, neither had a RDW was all voluntary on the individual.
I can certainly think of quite a few who ultimately do end up relying on overtime but that is more down to staff sickness or a genuine shortage of staff, but I can't think of many where that is the actual plan and the business simply refuses to hire enough people. Most businesses actually do try to hire enough people to fill their operational rota. Even in hospitality and retail (which are two industries well known for overworking staff), businesses do make an effort at least - in theory the Spoons by partner works in have enough staff for both the bar and the kitchen so that overtime is only really a thing to cover sickness etc. If those business are successful or not is a different matter (at the moment often not due to lack of people wanting to work in those industries), but the fact the railway doesn't even try (and often falls back on the flimsy excuse mentioned above) is the issue for me.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like I've got caught out with the 19;47 from Basingstoke towards Manchester getting cut back to Birmingham as the only way I can see someone can continue to Stockport is taking a 170 to Nuneaton for the 22:00 London - Manchester train as Nuneaton is it's final pick up.

Although can't see any options for any Macclesfield passengers.

Shall request a cancellation to those split tickets and rebook going via London just to save the hassle

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like I've got caught out with the 19;47 from Basingstoke towards Manchester getting cut back to Birmingham as the only way I can see someone can continue to Stockport is taking a 170 to Nuneaton for the 22:00 London - Manchester train as Nuneaton is it's final pick up.

Although can't see any options for any Macclesfield passengers.

Shall request a cancellation to those split tickets and rebook going via London just to save the hassle
Create a new thread on the fares or trip reports section, with your full itinerary types out in an easy to read format, the full list of tickets etc.

But yes if ticket acceptance isn't on place via London and you really want to go that way then yes refund & rebook is best.

stu

Have advance fares been released yet for late December? I was mulling getting the train on the 27th from Leamington Spa to Durham to join my other half up there already with her family, but there is only flexible tickets on sale - even at this stage.

Even tried splitting at Birmingham New Street to no avail. At £122 for a single, I'd rather drive! (Even a split fare of around £95 is quite a bit).

The Planner

Veteran Member
Have advance fares been released yet for late December? I was mulling getting the train on the 27th from Leamington Spa to Durham to join my other half up there already with her family, but there is only flexible tickets on sale - even at this stage.

Even tried splitting at Birmingham New Street to no avail. At £122 for a single, I'd rather drive! (Even a split fare of around £95 is quite a bit).
Xmas was uploaded a while back. 27th is one of XCs busiest days too and with a block on between Warwick and Dorridge I suspect they will be wedged.

stu

Xmas was uploaded a while back. 27th is one of XCs busiest days too and with a block on between Warwick and Dorridge I suspect they will be wedged.
Thanks for the reply! Must have sold out then, usually the journey planner shows them as being unavailable or sold out tho. Either way I was going to go at 7am, but you're right about it being busy. I'll just drive even tho we'll have our other car up there!

NoOnesFool

First Class usually copes quite well. I have been on busy services from Manchester and everyone was seated nicely.

Mugby

Established Member
What's the position with XC HSTs right now? Are they out of service at the moment or are some still being used?

There was one in Platform 10 at Leeds this evening at 1800, it appeared to be empty and moved off towards Neville Hill.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
What's the position with XC HSTs right now? Are they out of service at the moment or are some still being used?

There was one in Platform 10 at Leeds this evening at 1800, it appeared to be empty and moved off towards Neville Hill.
That was a Neville Hill to Craigentinny ECS move.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It's generally popular on many services except for in the evenings. It's a shame they've scalped the hot meals off the menu though.
I can understand some TOCs maybe having a reduced First Class offer if it would require a chef to cook food, but given on Cross Country it just needs the catering person in First Class to microwave stuff, I feel that's a bit inexcusable.

rjennings

All showing on realtimetrains to be HST today (Sunday 05 December 2021):

1V48 (No allocation but works 1S55 back / XC Journeycheck quotes running as HST)

1V56

1S55

1E75

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
All showing on realtimetrains to be HST today (Sunday 05 December 2021):

1V48 (No allocation but works 1S55 back / XC Journeycheck quotes running as HST)

1V56

1S55

1E75

Yep there are two sets out today - 43285 with 43239, and 43357 with 43301.

Mugby

Established Member
Does anyone know why the 0811 Leeds - Plymouth today was shown on RTT as two separate trains; Leeds - Wakefield and Wakefield - Plymouth?

Did passengers have to change onto another train at Wakefield?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Does anyone know why the 0811 Leeds - Plymouth today was shown on RTT as two separate trains; Leeds - Wakefield and Wakefield - Plymouth?

Looking at RTT the train from Leeds arrived at P1 at 0823, with the Plymouth train departing from the same platform two min later. Definitely the same train! No idea why it was shown as two!

Established Member

Looking at RTT the train from Leeds arrived at P1 at 0823, with the Plymouth train departing from the same platform two min later. Definitely the same train! No idea why it was shown as two!
Looks like the alterations for the Voyagers were already in the system with paths from Crofton Depot so it could be to late to reinstate the full path? Also see 1E75 1827 Plymouth to Leeds which is split at Sheffield. National Rail does show this as one service on the live departures.

warwickshire

On Moderation
However like Saturday just gone.
My concern is will they have cancellations.
Friday the 03rd December 2021.
Saw a very unacceptable performance off no trains for two hours in the morning peak from Birmingham to reading.
Causing a lot off missed connections at reading for customers going elsewhere from there on very long journeys. Was between 7am and 9am.
No trains.

Halish Railway

Established Member
No HSTs allocated today.

Between BHM & BRI the lengths are the following:
6 x 4 carriages
4 x 5 carriages
3 x 8 carriages
4 x 9 carriages

Between BHM & RDG the lengths are the following:
3 x 4 carriages
6 x 5 carriages