• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

Kieranmcd

And yet in its instructions it very clearly states that you are best putting any answers down if you're running out of time as you won't be penalised for wrong answers.

Clearly the higher percentage of answers you get correct gives you a greater chance of passing.
We're agreed on that. It's better to get less done with a high percentage of accuracy and guess the rest if you have time

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teuchter

Right, let's steer this back on topic now shall we....

How has everyone found the RAAT? As expected? Felt rushed? Piece of cake maybe?
Just did mine and it seemed (by and large) simple enough, though a few questions (for me) needed more careful thought than the rest.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Just did mine and it seemed (by and large) simple enough, though a few questions (for me) needed more careful thought than the rest.
Indeed, I think one of the questions is deliberately worded to make you check the passage a few times! From experience, non of the testing is designed to trip anyone up, they just require good concentration and calmness of thought IMO.

Jungie1799

Indeed, I think one of the questions is deliberately worded to make you check the passage a few times! From experience, non of the testing is designed to trip anyone up, they just require good concentration and calmness of thought IMO.
Now that I think, there was one specific question that really confused me to the point I thought there was no answer to it :|

But after reading it a bit more carefully, I think I understood it and got it right.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Now that I think, there was one specific question that really confused me to the point I thought there was no answer to it :|

But after reading it a bit more carefully, I think I understood it and got it right.
Probably the same question!

Loco94

Just done mine, managed to finish it but I’d be surprised if I got over 75% correct, think with there being no visible timer it can throw some people

m4rky1985

I ran out of time!

Fuming with myself as I did one back in Feb for Avanti and passed with no issues and in time!

Had to do a bit more reading of the text for this one compared to the last one I did. Think I did OK answering the questions I did but didn't even take note of the question number I was on when it said time is up.

Not feeling very confident to be honest.

Hopefully Avanti will move on again a bit soon as I got to stage 3 and missed out going to the assessment day due to a holiday abroad which I couldn't move/cancel :(

Brum_AVFC

I ran out of time!

Fuming with myself as I did one back in Feb for Avanti and passed with no issues and in time!

Had to do a bit more reading of the text for this one compared to the last one I did. Think I did OK answering the questions I did but didn't even take note of the question number I was on when it said time is up.

Not feeling very confident to be honest.

Hopefully Avanti will move on again a bit soon as I got to stage 3 and missed out going to the assessment day due to a holiday abroad which I couldn't move/cancel :(
From actually doing the psychometrics tests at OPC, I never finished all the questions on any of the paper tests and still
Passed them so don’t stress (failed the one computer test on the day)

I actually found this RAAT harder than I thought, you really do have to read the text a fair few times on most questions, I only got to question 30 myself.

GPR

How many passages of actual text are there?
I didn’t complete it all but I’m confident in myself saying I’ve probably got a lot of them correct.

Personally I’d rather do 80/90% of it and get the questions right than every single one answered but incorrect on a few.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
How many passages of actual text are there?
I didn’t complete it all but I’m confident in myself saying I’ve probably got a lot of them correct.

Personally I’d rather do 80/90% of it and get the questions right than every single one answered but incorrect on a few.
There is 3/4 answers for each passage, so I think 10

J3053B

Just finished and with time to spare, set a timer on my phone. Also you don’t get marked down for incorrect answers, just food for thought

Retro racer

Just finished and with time to spare, set a timer on my phone. Also you don’t get marked down for incorrect answers, just food for thought
Can someone confirm this?
So if say you're on question 28 and nearly out of time it's better to rush the last few and quess knowing a few are wrong but you stand a chance of getting a couple right?

Finding it hard to believe as with most railway tests it seems to be accuracy is more important than speed........

Samzino

Established Member
Well if you're a train driver and start rushing because you're late by 10mins and in your haste have a SPAD or trap and drag due to wanting to make up time and thus failing to maintain safety to the highest standards then it won't be long before the P45 appears.

Companies want Accuracy over speed, doesn't mean they want you to be slow as a snail but what good is answering it all and getting half wrong. A half well done job is double the effort of a well done job.

Bon

Anyone have a contact number for Xc recruitment? I’m Still awaiting my assessment so tried emailing [email protected] yesterday for info/update. This is certainly not the first time I’ve had issues getting in touch with Xc or getting info back from them. Don’t want to hassle them but also don’t want to miss the opportunity

J3053B

So if say you're on question 28 and nearly out of time it's better to rush the last few and quess knowing a few are wrong but you stand a chance of getting a couple right?

Finding it hard to believe as with most railway tests it seems to be accuracy is more important than speed........
It literally says on the OPC practice material for the actual test, that you will not lose marks for an incorrect answer, so if you don’t know then just guess as you have nothing to lose!

baz962

Established Member
It literally says on the OPC practice material for the actual test, that you will not lose marks for an incorrect answer, so if you don’t know then just guess as you have nothing to lose!
No but you shouldn't rush. I don't know about all of the tests but I was told by one of the OPC people that they also check for rushing on at least the group bourdon. So if say you did 8 lines on each of the first four pages and on the fifth you went mad and got 11 , they are looking for that. These tests are looking for a combination of speed and accuracy and also making sure you don't panic. That's why you shouldn't let the joysticks go in the computer test and you should calmly get the ball back in the lines. By all means guess at questions if you don't get marked down but I wouldn't rush. On the dials test with the roughly 40 questions I answered 23 and my passes were in the top 2% and high enough for every toc .

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

It definitely states this either on the practice material or the introduction page of the online test. It's just a rudimentary test, so just a pass mark is set rather than a percentage or accuracy measure

No but you shouldn't rush. I don't know about all of the tests but I was told by one of the OPC people that they also check for rushing on at least the group bourdon. So if say you did 8 lines on each of the first four pages and on the fifth you went mad and got 11 , they are looking for that. These tests are looking for a combination of speed and accuracy and also making sure you don't panic. That's why you shouldn't let the joysticks go in the computer test and you should calmly get the ball back in the lines. By all means guess at questions if you don't get marked down but I wouldn't rush. On the dials test with the roughly 40 questions I answered 23 and my passes were in the top 2% and high enough for every toc .
The group bourdon is marked differently - it's about being above a threshold on each set and your scores are within a certain percentage of each other. To make sure your concentration levels remain pretty even. So you wouldn't pass is one was massively out compared to the others. But we'll get to discuss GB test in detail when the time comes I'm sure

m4rky1985

I guess I'll just have to wait and see now if I did enough with the questions I actually managed to answer!

I've only got myself to blame for now setting up a timer before starting.

I would of thought every stage of the process would of been focused around accuracy/safety as opposed to outright speed. I've been over it in my head a few times and genuinely can't think how I'd of gone through it any quicker unless I just took a wild stab in the dark on some of them. Again, on reflection, I should of used a timer and in the last 60/90 seconds just clicked on any random answer in the hope of getting an extra mark or too!

No point dwelling on it now, even though I am :lol:

James101185

Anyone have a contact number for Xc recruitment? I’m Still awaiting my assessment so tried emailing [email protected] yesterday for info/update. This is certainly not the first time I’ve had issues getting in touch with Xc or getting info back from them. Don’t want to hassle them but also don’t want to miss the opportunity
[email protected]

Try this. I got a reply when I asked who was in charge of recruitment

Just completed my RAAT test and had 2 mins 30 seconds to spare. I used the time to go over the last few questions again to ensure I had them correct (at least correct to my knowledge anyway) I then played extra safe submitting my answers with 1 minute to spare just in case. Setting a timer helped as at question 17 (half way mark) I still had 12mins + left, so I knew I was going at a good pace and had sufficient time that I didn’t need to rush or panic. I’m quietly confident I done well, but you never know until the results are in I guess. GL to everybody.

mattymat

Just completed my RAAT test and had 2 mins 30 seconds to spare. I used the time to go over the last few questions again to ensure I had them correct (at least correct to my knowledge anyway) I then played extra safe submitting my answers with 1 minute to spare just in case. Setting a timer helped as at question 17 (half way mark) I still had 12mins + left, so I knew I was going at a good pace and had sufficient time that I didn’t need to rush or panic. I’m quietly confident I done well, but you never know until the results are in I guess. GL to everybody.
When you’ve answered a q you can’t go back to change it
?

When you’ve answered a q you can’t go back to change it
?
If you read the instructions properly at the start, you actually can. I never changed any answers once I passed a question anyway. I ensured I was happy with all my answers before moving on to the next. I just meant I spent the extra minute or so ensuring the last 3 answers were correct to my knowledge, before clicking submit to finalise my answers.