• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
+ 1. Laira has done an excellent job over the years, far better than the likes of Haymarket.
Laira have had rather longer to practice than Haymarket. And the output at Laira has dropped - it's been taking 13 months(!) to do a G exam. Used to be/should be about 4 weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
And your allegations against Laira are based on what?

As the other depots which are still maintaining HSTs (Haymarket and Inverness) are achieving far lower levels of reliability I’m not sure how your allegations are founded and you may wish to reconsider.

Maintaining a largely end of life fleet using obsolete parts is not an easy job. It’s been several years now since any other depot did HST maintenance (it’s been 22 months now since Neville Hill did) and in that time a number of suppliers have shutdown or no longer support HSTs.
All I'm highlighting is this isn't the first time sets have come off the depot fresh and not made it out of Devon. Totally agree with what you've said, they do a great job, although the XC sets do seem to have suffered compared to the GWR sets.

Just looking at the figures in Modern Railways and the XC sets MTIN (Miles per techincal incident) compared between period 6 from 2022/2023 and 2021/2022 shows a 19.1% drop where as the GWR sets saw a 15.1% increase. Of course that's just a snapshot of period 6.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
1E75 (18:27 Plymouth to Leeds) diverted from planned diversion via Barnsley and went the normal route not calling at Wakefield Westgate, I assume to make up time as was running late. I'm slightly confused as moorthorpe line had rail replacement buses today so wondered what was being done that meant we could then get through?

I did wonder why I saw a XC set going into Laira as I passed earlier. That will be the offending set!

louis97

Established Member
1E75 (18:27 Plymouth to Leeds) diverted from planned diversion via Barnsley and went the normal route not calling at Wakefield Westgate, I assume to make up time as was running late. I'm slightly confused as moorthorpe line had rail replacement buses today so wondered what was being done that meant we could then get through?
Suspect possession either finished early or was booked to be given up late Sunday evening.

brad465

Established Member

I did wonder why I saw a XC set going into Laira as I passed earlier. That will be the offending set!
I don't know exactly why the outbound working was delayed, although at Taunton the announcement said "this is due to overcrowding", which if true, one has to wonder how bad the overcrowding would be if this wasn't a HST or 2 set voyager formation.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I don't know exactly why the outbound working was delayed, although at Taunton the announcement said "this is due to overcrowding", which if true, one has to wonder how bad the overcrowding would be if this wasn't a HST or 2 set voyager formation.

Definitely was overcrowded - someone caught it from York to Leeds instead of Sheffield due to overcrowding. Thank goodness a Voyager didn't substitute.

1V56 09:08 Edinburgh - Plymouth that was.

That needs a 9-car Voyager (410 Standard Class seats).

louis97

Established Member
1V56 was delayed by an ill passenger at Bristol Parkway, eventually train continued to Temple Meads where they were taken off.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
The one two hours before did as well was just surprised to see a possession given up so early.
I'm not sure any engineering work has taken place between Swinton and Moorthorpe over the last 3 weekends despite rail replacement buses operating and Cross Country diverting via Barnsley. Last Sunday an engineering train broke down at Wombwell and the diverted trains were diverted back to their normal route....

What are the current SX diagrams please? Those at 1135 don't all appear to be running today anyway.

sprinterguy

Established Member
What are the current SX diagrams please? Those at 1135 don't all appear to be running today anyway.
Both are running as usual today, just with the set on 1V44/1S51 running as a 6-car at the moment due to a defective vehicle having been removed.

43207+43303
1V44 06:11 Leeds - Plymouth
1S51 12:27 Plymouth - Edinburgh

43378+43321
1V50 06:06 Edinburgh - Plymouth
1E63 15:27 Plymouth - Leeds

Last edited:

Both are running as usual today, just with the set on 1V44/1S51 running as a 6-car at the moment due to a defective vehicle having been removed.

43207+43303
1V44 06:11 Leeds - Plymouth
1S51 12:27 Plymouth - Edinburgh

43378+43321
1V50 06:06 Edinburgh - Plymouth
1E63 15:27 Plymouth - Leeds
Thanks. 6 car not surprisingly heading south on 1V50 today

aquae39

Just to double confirm, will all XC HSTs be completely gone after this May timetable change?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thank you for the information, we then still have this summer to enjoy the old machines
Yes, I feel sorry for the regular commuters or users of the service as HST enthusiasts are now bound to absolutely swamp the last couple of remaining diagrams.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Yes, I feel sorry for the regular commuters or users of the service as HST enthusiasts are now bound to absolutely swamp the last couple of remaining diagrams.

That’s the same with most fleets whixh finish, the doomsday enthusiasts!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Just to double confirm, will all XC HSTs be completely gone after this May timetable change?
Have you read that somewhere? I thought they were going in December?
The following has been posted over in the speculative discussion about the XC IC125 withdrawals:

According to 'RAIL' - 2 diagrams will be retained in May followed by 1 in September. Not good when we needed the 4 diagrams said before.
Link to topic: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/cross-country-hst-withdrawals.244265/page-11

cragdrummer

Hi, I'm going on a bit of a last HST bash from Cardiff to Exeter tomorrow with my 5 year old who loves cl43s (ok we both do haha!) The plan is to castle class it to Bristol TM then XC down to Exeter. Please could someone advise the best chances of a XC HST out of 1V50 and 1V52, both are currently down has HSTs on RTT but I know things can/have changed. Also we are returning hopefully using 1E67 but if that HST gets pulled, most likely we'll castle class back to Cardiff from Taunton

Train Boy

Hi, I'm going on a bit of a last HST bash from Cardiff to Exeter tomorrow with my 5 year old who loves cl43s (ok we both do haha!) The plan is to castle class it to Bristol TM then XC down to Exeter. Please could someone advise the best chances of a XC HST out of 1V50 and 1V52, both are currently down has HSTs on RTT but I know things can/have changed. Also we are returning hopefully using 1E67 but if that HST gets pulled, most likely we'll castle class back to Cardiff from Taunton
On a Saturday, of the two, usually only 1V52 will be a HST. 1E67 will be the same set as 1V52. Hope you enjoy!

louis97

Established Member
Any ideas why XC02 has been running short (6) for a while? Seems strange when there's so many spare sets and coaches.
2 of the sets are at Doncaster for overhaul (although who knows if this will be completed), so there isn't many spare coaches available.

Southern Dvr

1V52 & 1E67 had been planned to operate with an HST but the PHBT just north of Newcastle has trapped the stock in Scotland.

Status
Not open for further replies.