• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry Voyager Shops (or lack of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
And I thought I was having a rant? Seriously, you're spot on Stacey. We live in a consumer society of largely lazy people. I can point you at 3 products to prove my point. Grated cheese - just how lazy are you? Bags of ice blocks - What, you don't have a freezer but you probably have a 40inch plasma! And lastly, bottled water - you know, the stuff that comes out of taps you pay water rates for at home.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I keep reading stories about these luggage racks being underused, but I am finding them a godsend. I must have been on about 10 trains yesterday leaving Birmingham heading towards Manchester and towards Bristol and on each train the luggage rack in Coach 'D' was completely full. On one train both bike sections were full of luggage and on another the luggage racks were overflowing into the doorways.

devon_metro

Established Member
Most people still have to hunt down the trolley, as in a 15 minute journey it isn't likely to pass me. At least with the buffet, it is there all of the time, the water is hot and it offers a FAR better range of products.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Most people still have to hunt down the trolley, as in a 15 minute journey it isn't likely to pass me

If you need a cup of expensive coffee on a fifteen minute journey then you've obviously a lot more money than most! I'd have thought that most peope buying stuff from the trolley/ buffet are paying a premium on a long distance journey (compared to the price they might pay at either end station etc)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In my experience, when there is a shop, it tends to open

In my experience, I'd say that buffets/ shops tend to be shut down a lot more these days for "stock taking" - if the change over is in (say) Leeds you'll get told that it's closed half an hour before hand, then there's a delay before the (newly staffed) shop/ buffet reopens again.

At least with a trolley it doesn't have to be "closed"

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And I thought I was having a rant? Seriously, you're spot on Stacey. We live in a consumer society of largely lazy people. I can point you at 3 products to prove my point. Grated cheese - just how lazy are you? Bags of ice blocks - What, you don't have a freezer but you probably have a 40inch plasma! And lastly, bottled water - you know, the stuff that comes out of taps you pay water rates for at home.

I can sort of see the point of bottled water. The water out of my tap tastes of chemicals :s

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I buy bottled water as:
1. I don't like fizzy drinks and in many shops either the only way to buy a soft drink at all (or one of a decent size) is to buy water
2. The bottles are good for refilling; I have never owned a refillable sports bottle that doesn't leak

I also buy grated cheese as I grate my cheese anyway and in Tesco it's the same price per 100g as their regular cheese and whenever I grate cheese it turns into a mess and I waste quite a bit of it anyway.

monkey

...the lack of shop is annoying. the trains are bad as they are with the cramp seating, and lack of seats causing overcrowding and titchy luggage racks in fron of windows (who's idea was that?) , and the one positive has been removed. did a lot of travelling over the last year, and sometiems meant could get something till I boarded the train so the shop was useful. the trolleys just don't work, they are a pain for the staff to use, they get in the way of passengers boarding at stations, and have poor choice, and what they do have is substandard.

with the shop with a microwave and what not, at least there was hope, all they had to do was improve the food, and they'd been there as far as catering goes, but now we're left with dodgy trolley service, serving substandard egg mayo sandwiches that cost an arm and a leg, and no way of improving it really. also noticed they don't come round often enough.

I think the ideal situation would be a full restaurant car and a shop, sort of like nxec has, but with better food, but I understand the restaurant cars on nxec are slowly being removed as well, which is a shame...

mumrar

Established Member
I can sort of see the point of bottled water. The water out of my tap tastes of chemicals :s
Don't believe the hype, you think bottled water is lovingly filtered to get dirt out after being distilled through natures most lovely mountain ever. Pardon the pun, but people will swallow almost anything. As for needing a sports bottle that doesn't leak, talk to a cyclist, I don't know any who get wet feet in the sunshine!
The reason grated cheese costs the same is because it is a random mix of all kinds of different strength and flavour cheeses from factory left overs that top pizzas and things with it. How on earth can you not grate cheese properly? My culinary limits may be Weetabix in hot milk, but I can grate cheese no problem.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The wastage from all those bottles of water (well, any soft drink) is why many places are seeking - or have already started - to ban the sale of bottled water.

Re-using bottles is of course perfectly good, and I've used them to store water in the fridge so it's nice and cold. I bet if I gave it to someone, they'd think that it was mineral water simply because it's cold (something you won't always get from a tap, unless you run it for ages - which is another big waste!).

VT221

I travelled on a CrossCountry Voyager earlier today and the First Class host told me that Bombardier say that only 3 trains are left with a Shop on board. The rest have been reconfigured with an on-board trolley service providing catering.

What are people's expereicnes of the new on board torlley service on the CrossCountry Voyagers? Previously, if anybody wanted food or drink, they knew where the Shop was. Now, they have to wait for the trolley to come through (if it is able to, unlikely on busy sections).

Hello, (My first Post)

I was onbaord two Cross Country services yesterday from Reading to Manchester Picc, and on to BPN with TPE. As a big fan of Virgin Trains i was gutted when XC tock over operations but thats life. But to hear the shop is to go brought mixed feelings.

As i have travled on the Cross country route a number of times, so like many of you i know how busy this can get. One time i was not able to even get to the main seating area i was camping in the toilet from Preston to Reading with Virgin. So the fact of the shop going was a very bad idea as it won't be able to get arounf half the time.

But the 2nd time i travled Cross Country (Yesterday, 23rd August 2009) the trolley had arrived unlike the first time. Lucky for me the first train wasn't busy... Maybe it was due to the fact it was a Sunday. The second train was more busy with a number of people looking for seats after they cancelled my train.

One more problem with XC, well Bachmann, Whats with all the delays ?

VT221

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Don't believe the hype, you think bottled water is lovingly filtered to get dirt out after being distilled through natures most lovely mountain ever. Pardon the pun, but people will swallow almost anything. As for needing a sports bottle that doesn't leak, talk to a cyclist, I don't know any who get wet feet in the sunshine!
The reason grated cheese costs the same is because it is a random mix of all kinds of different strength and flavour cheeses from factory left overs that top pizzas and things with it. How on earth can you not grate cheese properly? My culinary limits may be Weetabix in hot milk, but I can grate cheese no problem.

lol, I daresay it all comes out of a tap - just as long as it tastes better than the water out of my tap - Peckham Spring anyone ?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not the grated cheese l buy - it tastes just the same and is clearly labelled as whatever l expect it to be! l can grate cheese but l just find that a lot of it is wasted.

l still don't know what to do for those shops and other places that don't sell soft drinks. Back on topic, on the XC trolley l think the only soft drink is that nasty yellow Oasis flavour that nobody likes; the rest is Coke and other fizzy drinks.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
lf you go First class and the week is right then you can have a Bacon & Mushroom flatbread for breakfast. It looks like someone has been sick and then melted some cheese on top. Added to that when you try and cut through the hard bread the cheap plastic knife decides to snap and go flying into little pieces.

devon_metro

Established Member
Not the grated cheese l buy - it tastes just the same and is clearly labelled as whatever l expect it to be! l can grate cheese but l just find that a lot of it is wasted.

l still don't know what to do for those shops and other places that don't sell soft drinks. Back on topic, on the XC trolley l think the only soft drink is that nasty yellow Oasis flavour that nobody likes; the rest is Coke and other fizzy drinks.

Don't you just love warm drinks :roll:

The shop had a lovely fridge! When I was once in First, the RSM was kind enough to make me a fresh hot chocolate (not FC stock), with a fresh bottle of milk. Most enjoyable :D

Status
Not open for further replies.