• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I feel like these trains should follow the tube model and have XX Mins to destination rather than the 17:10, 17:15 etc

In the central section these trains are going to be every 150 seconds - maybe even 120 seconds further down the line. Even minor delays will show everything thereafter as delayed?

They do in the Central section (the next train time is built into the platform screen doors). Outside of this it's run like a national rail service so shows the traditional times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrex

As for shortenings I don't know....I don't know of many other lines that a regularly shortened. Picc Line, Vic Line maybe that's about it. Liz line doesn't sound right haha.
I have known about the 'Met' since I was taken to my auntie's at Eastcote starting in the late 1950s, also I used to hear 'the H and C' from when it was made a separate line. These are from normals, not rail enthusiasts or spotters.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Road analogy. QE2 Bridge normally referred to (in common parlance) Dartford Bridge.....
Veering way off-topic, but I've never heard anyone call it that. The Dartford Tunnel(s), yes, but always the QE2 Bridge. Conversely, I don't know anyone who calls the Second Severn Crossing the Prince of Wales Bridge.

rd749249

I call it Crossrail, as do most colleagues I speak with. Calling it a tube line name when you’re turning round at Reading or Shenfield just don’t seem right.

On a separate note, had a few chats with passengers at Abbey Wood and I get a feeling that a lot of people will go from platforms 3&4 rather than 1. Time will tell no doubt.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I call it Crossrail, as do most colleagues I speak with. Calling it a tube line name when you’re turning round at Reading or Shenfield just don’t seem right.

On a separate note, had a few chats with passengers at Abbey Wood and I get a feeling that a lot of people will go from platforms 3&4 rather than 1. Time will tell no doubt.
The Southeastern/Kent route study 2018 was expecting at least a 50% reduction in passenger numbers staying on existing trains west of Abbey Wood. Obviously when that was written it was with much older data to support it, but it seems reasonable.
I included the numbers and link to the report in post #328 here:

DC1989

Those current trains from platform 3/4 at Abbey Wood are an absolute nightmare to be honest and I myself will be glad to never set foot on one again. Constant delays, trains regularly cancelled. My journey from Woolwich to Abbey Wood in the morning is complete pot luck - you may wait a couple of minutes or it could be half an hour (or longer)

EssexGonzo

Veering way off-topic, but I've never heard anyone call it that. The Dartford Tunnel(s), yes, but always the QE2 Bridge. Conversely, I don't know anyone who calls the Second Severn Crossing the Prince of Wales Bridge.

I’ve lived within 10 miles of it for 28 years and travelled across it hundreds (thousands?) of times - it’s always been the Dartford Bridge / Tunnel to me. Yes, we know it’s the QE2 bridge but most people I know will refer to it as the Dartford Bridge because it’s linked to the Dartford Tunnel.

ctom_s

I know I'm essentially speculating about speculation now, but if the opening date was to be confirmed, how long before that would we know about it?

snowball

Established Member
I’ve lived within 10 miles of it for 28 years and travelled across it hundreds (thousands?) of times - it’s always been the Dartford Bridge / Tunnel to me. Yes, we know it’s the QE2 bridge but most people I know will refer to it as the Dartford Bridge because it’s linked to the Dartford Tunnel.
I believe the combination of the Dartford Tunnels and the QE2 Bridge is known as the Dartford Crossing.

Baker Street & Waterloo Railway? A shortening so popular it was formally adopted.

More seriously, the Metropolitan line is regularly shortened to the Met. I don't think I've ever heard anyone read out "Hammersmith & City Line" either - although, bizarrely, I can't think what they use instead - probably "not the circle line, the other one" or "the pink line".
I still call it the metropolitan from when I was a lad living in Hammersmith

SynthD

I know I'm essentially speculating about speculation now, but if the opening date was to be confirmed, how long before that would we know about it?
I’ve learned to expect a few days notice of a minor launch event, and a silent launch in the middle. Announced on the 12th, doors unlocked on the 14th, tape and bow up on the 16th?

rd749249

Those current trains from platform 3/4 at Abbey Wood are an absolute nightmare to be honest and I myself will be glad to never set foot on one again. Constant delays, trains regularly cancelled. My journey from Woolwich to Abbey Wood in the morning is complete pot luck - you may wait a couple of minutes or it could be half an hour (or longer)
I assume you mean platforms 1&2, the Southeastern / Thameslink trains that run on the North Kent lines.

PG

Established Member
If the government has some bad news to bury or a desire to usurp the mayor then they might leak the date or even the wrong date to force TfL to issue a correction...

No.10 might even throw on a party; I hear they're pretty good at that <D

thomalex

I’ve learned to expect a few days notice of a minor launch event, and a silent launch in the middle. Announced on the 12th, doors unlocked on the 14th, tape and bow up on the 16th?

This is what I'm thinking, in fact I'm half expecting the doors to just open one morning

Snow1964

Established Member
It is widely reported that problems with the build of Bond Street means it will open later than the line, but how many know this is just history repeating itself.

The Central London Railway (now Central line) opened 30th July 1900, but Bond Street wasn’t ready, and it didn’t open until 24th September 1900

I have heard there are 2 opening target dates for Elizabeth line, rumoured to be mid May, with backup date in late June, with Bond Street decoupled and estimated as September. I cannot find anything published to verify (or contradict) this.

reddragon

Established Member
I have heard there are 2 opening target dates for Elizabeth line, rumoured to be mid May, with backup date in late June, with Bond Street decoupled and estimated as September. I cannot find anything published to verify (or contradict) this.
That's correct

ijmad

Established Member
It just occurred to me, when Crossrail fully opens, there will be three different direct journeys from Bond Street to Stratford.

Chances seem high that Geoff Marshall does a video racing them.

ctom_s

It just occurred to me, when Crossrail fully opens, there will be three different direct journeys from Bond Street to Stratford.

Lol, the heat on the central line and fact your have phone signal on most of the Jubilee must be taken into account though! In fact, does anyone know if there's phone signal on crossrail?

ijmad

Established Member
Lol, the heat on the central line and fact your have phone signal on most of the Jubilee must be taken into account though! In fact, does anyone know if there's phone signal on crossrail?

Last time I searched for information on this, Crossrail intended to offer 4G and Wifi in stations and on trains all through the tunnels from opening.

Don't know whether this has actually been achieved or not.

matt_world2004

Established Member

Crossrail will win with a 16 minute journey time .

There is a 21 minute journey time on the central line

And a 25 minute journey time on the jubilee.

Crossrail will be air conditioned and have phone signal throughout (WiFi only at launch I believe with 4g later.)

ijmad

Established Member

Crossrail will be air conditioned and have phone signal throughout (WiFi only at launch I believe with 4g later.)

It'd be considerably closer if you factor in average waiting time (up to 5 mins for a Shenfield-bound service, only 2 mins for a tube) and time taken to walk from entrance to platform, since Crossrail is rather deep at Bond Street. Although I'm sure Crossrail will still be the winner on almost any journey. Going East-West it'll be like the Victoria line, always use even a section of it if possible, as it's so much faster than anything else.

Last edited:

Hophead

Established Member

Not if the race is on opening day

Putting 2 + 2 together, a back-up date in late June presumably is not so much use given the big event being planned for the big birthday of the individual who is lending her name to the line?!!!

thomalex

I suppose you also have to factor in you will likely be waiting longer for an Crossrail train

Status
Not open for further replies.