• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwl

Established Member
Interesting, looks like it’s quicker to get out of the Moorgate exit to get to Bank junction than Liverpool St
That always was my expectation pre-opening particularly if you want to get to a building on the roads to west side of Bank junction. (And having used Moorgate entrance post opening.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Bond Street presumably is the "planned" interchange between the Central and Liz lines, but sadly not available at the moment, leaving only the suboptimal TCR interchange, which is unfortunate...

Correct, Tottenham Court Road gained new passageways to the new Western ticket Hall, and it is possible to get to Elizabeth line this way (but I haven’t been there so can’t confirm if it is not signposted), I don think it was ever expected to be a common interchange from Central to Crossrail as it was between other stations where it is possible.

The new (or rather extended) passageway which runs parallel with Central Line to western hall has 2 short stubs, intended as start of the connection from Central to Crossrail 2

There is a good plan on this link

If crossrail 2 is built it crosses Crossrail under Soho Square (not at TCH road junction where Central and Northern cross), and would get a Northern ticket hall from north end of its platforms.

Attaching link to show map of relative position of lines at TCR

hwl

Established Member
It was around 1, so that would make sense - I made sure I was home for the CL final!
Also first weekend of half term and things felt general quite quiet yesterday with lots of people away.

345 050

Glad its not only me that thought there was some fair distances to be covered to get out of the stations and have already decided that i will stick to using the surface tube from Farringdon to Liv St.
That's all very well assuming there's a good service. Frequently there are delays, in fact right now the H&C is suspended. As a result, queues into Paddington LU station are backing up into the main line station. Plenty of unhappy passengers who would much rather take a little bit longer and have more comfortable journey. Even without disruption, the central line does not have that many fans on a summers day!

That always was my expectation pre-opening particularly if you want to get to a building on the roads to west side of Bank junction. (And having used Moorgate entrance post opening.)
Bit confused, Moorgate was always closer to Bank. What's crossrail got to do with it?

hwl

Established Member
Bit confused, Moorgate was always closer to Bank. What's crossrail got to do with it?
TfL rail users from Liverpool Street High level who currently walk down to Bank will be better getting off at the Moorgate entrance when Shenfield services start running through to the core.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Took a quick trip from TCR to Whitechapel around 21:00 last night. Trains was very busy although many got off at Liverpool Street.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
That's all very well assuming there's a good service. Frequently there are delays, in fact right now the H&C is suspended. As a result, queues into Paddington LU station are backing up into the main line station. Plenty of unhappy passengers who would much rather take a little bit longer and have more comfortable journey. Even without disruption, the central line does not have that many fans on a summers day!

If you are travelling in from Abbey Wood as my colleague could do now instead of into London Bridge. He wouldn’t have the prior knowledge of the two.

Added to that we have an office entrance at the west end of Lothbury.

bicbasher

Established Member
While I understand why they have to close the Elizabeth line for testing on Sundays, it's retrograde for pax at Abbey Wood and Woolwich who have been able to get into Zone 1 in 15-20 minutes, they have to crawl on the slower Southeastern/Thameslink stoppers via Greenwich or Lewisham that take more than double the time.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I’ll be using the line tomorrow from Liverpool Street, travelling on to Oxford. GWR journey planner suggests is aware of the Elizabeth Line and suggests I catch it - as far as Farringdon (2 minutes)- then change to the London Underground. I can’t see any scenario where this would be scheduled to be quicker In normal operation.
Probably because the minimum connection time at Farringdon is only 3 minutes (seems ridiculously short for the long walking distances people are talking about), compared to 15 minutes at Paddington.

martin2345uk

Established Member
So for work on Tuesday I have to get from pitsea station on the c2c, to Stonebridge Park on the bakerloo/DC lines.

I realise the sensible route doesn’t use the EL but what the hell, I wanna try it out after all this time!

What would be the least-daft route involving the EL..?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
So for work on Tuesday I have to get from pitsea station on the c2c, to Stonebridge Park on the bakerloo/DC lines.

I realise the sensible route doesn’t use the EL but what the hell, I wanna try it out after all this time!

Pitsea - West Ham - Whitechapel - Paddington - Stonebridge Park is an entirely reasonable route using the Elizabeth Line, arguably even now the sensible route for the journey.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Pitsea > West Ham > Whitechapel > Paddington > Stonebridge Park? (Just beaten by previous reply)
All without going through a gateline, by using the connecting passageway from Paddington low level to Bakerloo.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Pitsea - West Ham - Whitechapel - Paddington - Stonebridge Park is an entirely reasonable route using the Elizabeth Line, arguably even the sensible route for the journey.
Slightly less sensible, but involving more travel on the EL, would be Pitsea-West Ham-Canary Wharf-Paddington-Stonebridge Park. Or even going via Custom House.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Cheers guys, so that’s C2C to West Ham and District/H&S to Whitechapel right..?

Any tips on best position on the train for the Bakerloo interchange at Paddington?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Cheers, looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. I hate the Jubilee line with a passion (so damn noisy) so a nice quiet ride will put me in a much better mood to drive a train.

ijmad

Established Member
Bond Street presumably is the "planned" interchange between the Central and Liz lines, but sadly not available at the moment, leaving only the suboptimal TCR interchange, which is unfortunate...

In some of the early line maps (that could be seen in open day tours in 2018), TCR wasn't even shown as a Central Line interchange, just Northern. People thought it was a mistake but I think it's pretty obvious it was by design to direct people down the better interchanges. They might return to this once Bond Street opens.

E.g. here's the ones at Farringdon (framegrabbed from Geoff Marshall's video):

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 14.37.59.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 14.37.59.png
    740.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

cambsy

On Moderation
Having done my day out on Cross Rail, yesterday Sat28th May, My thoughts on Cross Rail are:

Trains
The trains are as expected, typical Aventra 345, can handle large volumes of passengers, and along with the 5 min frequency ,can handle large passenger volumes with great aplomb, and from riding them up and down the line, they are pleasant to ride on, And will definitely use again a few times.

The Core section
The core section was great to travel through, so very quick and quiet, ones through London in next to no time, with such ease and speed, its all very impressive and really shows Britain, can still construct at World Class level, and should be proud of this World Class Metro, I was blown away by it all.

The stations
The stations were amazing constructions, so big and airy, and with a lot of great individual design elements and architecture then to the platforms, with their massive platform screens, which makes the whole environment so quiet and pleasing, such a change from the Underground, the wandering around left me, wandering how the hell they built, such massive stations underground, boggled my mind for sure.

Handling large volumes of passengers
I started my day with catching first train about 06.45am from Paddington to Abbey Wood, and then went back and forwards couple of times, which as expected fairly quiet, and good chance to get used to it all, but as the morning progressed beyond 8am, it got extremely busy, with trains by mid morning full and pretty rammed, which no surprise as Paddington and Liverpool Street, were both heaving and crowded, by Far the most ive seen during, and after Covid, but my impression was the ease at which Cross Rail handled these large crowds, it was even deceptive, as at times I thought had quieten down, but then looked again and realised there were still large flows of passengers.

One of the posters up thread, said there were problems with stepping units and drivers, well from my riding the Metro, I didnt notice any change in the frequency or ease of jumping from train to train, the 5 min frequency was kept in my time riding, 06.45am to about 2pm. I was pleased to see Cross Rail, doing what it was designed to do, handling large crowds and passenger volumes, from the stations, and there was also a big Comic con, at The Excel Arena,which to me it seemed to handle well, and with relative ease, I think Londoners etc, have taken to Cross Rail, like a duck takes to water, and can only see Cross Rail, becoming a massive success and being at capacity within few years, as its so good at what it does.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Yes, that looks a reasonable bet. Strictly, when coming back from Farringdon to TCR you will I suppose be regarded as using the return ticket so make sure you have it with you but the chance of any ticket inspection on the network is very, very low. You might find Goodge St. a little easier to get to GOSH, then you can sample the Crosrail to Northern line interchange?

Goodge St is a lot further from GOSH than Russell Sq is.

Re the Canary Wharf interchange. What sensible journeys would need it? Woolwich to Stratford is an existing DLR journey. Paddington to Stratford - change at Liverpool St (or direct train later). Paddington to West Ham and C2C - change at Whitechapel. London Bridge to Abbey Wood - take South Eastern.

Assume it might matter for the more minor local DLR stations. As has been said above Canary Wharf is a destination.

SynthD

Paddington to Cutty Sark is 44m via Baker Street or Liz line. I’d choose the longer walk at CW over the noisy tube. When the Poplar bridge is up it’ll open up a bit more.

whoosh

Established Member
Paddington to Cutty Sark is 44m via Baker Street or Liz line. I’d choose the longer walk at CW over the noisy tube. When the Poplar bridge is up it’ll open up a bit more.

It's serine isn't it? People conversing at a normal volume.
I hadn't realised how much the noise of the exting tube system contributes to a stressful journey.

ijmad

Established Member

I think I said this before (but in the other thread), once the new DLR stock arrives over the next few years, I believe the intention is to run the Stratford to Canary Wharf service as Stratford to Lewisham all day, which makes West India Quay viable and closer interchange for the Elizabeth Line station for those of us 'in the know'. Right now it's a bit limited in its utility for those going south.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
for sure on balance its a massive improvement in the travelling environment but when building something new minimising connection times should have been one of the critical success factors and maybe the other stations are better although I've similar criticisms levelled at Canary Wharf in far it is to the Jubilee Line

Kite159

Veteran Member
For the issue with the gateline between the DLR platforms & Liz Line platforms at Custom House, could it be resolved by changing the readers on the gates to be pink rather than yellow? Pink to 'confirm' route for any passengers coming from the DLR platforms so they don't get charged a max fare for an incomplete journey and to allow a new journey to start for anybody arriving without having previously touched in?

(sorry if this has already been suggested)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For the issue with the gateline between the DLR platforms & Liz Line platforms at Custom House, could it be resolved by changing the readers on the gates to be pink rather than yellow? Pink to 'confirm' route for any passengers coming from the DLR platforms so they don't get charged a max fare for an incomplete journey and to allow a new journey to start for anybody arriving without having previously touched in?

(sorry if this has already been suggested)
They would really have to be set up as equivalent to 'continuation exit' readers, which you see at certain stations. But I'm not sure this can be done for barriers.

ubayd1847

Re the Canary Wharf interchange. What sensible journeys would need it? Woolwich to Stratford is an existing DLR journey. Paddington to Stratford - change at Liverpool St (or direct train later). Paddington to West Ham and C2C - change at Whitechapel. London Bridge to Abbey Wood - take South Eastern.

Assume it might matter for the more minor local DLR stations. As has been said above Canary Wharf is a destination.
Canning Town or North Greenwich to anywhere at all on the Elizabeth Line... even Canada Water should be able to go back and use Canary Wharf to get somewhere.

theking

Canning Town or North Greenwich to anywhere at all on the Elizabeth Line... even Canada Water should be able to go back and use Canary Wharf to get somewhere.

If you are at canning town why on earth would you go two stops on the jub line when you can go two shorter stops on the DLR and change at Custom House within the same station.

If you are at Canada Water why on earth would you not use the Overground to Whitechapel and then change within the station.

Interchanging at Canary Wharf is completely pointless unless you arrive on the DLR

Taunton

Established Member
They would really have to be set up as equivalent to 'continuation exit' readers, which you see at certain stations. But I'm not sure this can be done for barriers.
It seems a "Continuation Entry" is the one to go for. I'm interested in this one because I got it at Custom House on opening day. It's not quite apparent how all this never got picked up in the system design or the trials. Did nobody use real Oysters/Contactless in the testing and trials?

If you are at canning town why on earth would you go two stops on the jub line when you can go two shorter stops on the DLR and change at Custom House within the same station.
Because the Jubilee is every couple of minutes, while to Custom House is both wrong-direction non-intuitive, and only every 8 or 10 minutes.

As TfL are only too aware, significant numbers of travellers take what train geeks would regard as inefficient journeys. The real issue is calling all the stations Canary Wharf, which for many implies a connection between them. It will get more pronounced when the footbridge at Poplar DLR has a couple of extra sections put in, making it the nearest and most convenient DLR station for Canary Wharf Crossrail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.