• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Is this station named after an episode in old-time warfare in which the victor granted an amazing degree of mercy, on a stupendously large scale, to the vanquished?

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the name bears a reference to an (in)famous thing which was made in the settlement wherein the station is located.

D6130

Established Member
Afraid not. (My knowledge of Lochgelly is zero -- quick Googling has left me little the wiser as to momentous stuff initiated there.)
I was really clutching at straws there! Lochgelly is - or perhaps now was - the place of manufacture of the belt (or tawse) which was the scourge of generations of badly-behaved Scottish schoolchildren in the days when corporal punishment was still deemed to be acceptable. It was a two foot long thick leather strap - split down the middle from one end as far as the halfway point and with a wider section, punctured by a round hole for hanging it up at the far end - which would be brought down with considerable force, as many times as the teacher deemed to be necessary on the recalcitrant pupil's upturned palms and/or wrists. Ouch! o_O

Calthrop

Established Member
I was really clutching at straws there! Lochgelly is - or perhaps now was - the place of manufacture of the belt (or tawse) which was the scourge of generations of badly-behaved Scottish schoolchildren in the days when corporal punishment was still deemed to be acceptable. It was a two foot long thick leather strap - split down the middle from one end as far as the halfway point and with a wider section, punctured by a round hole for hanging it up at the far end - which would be brought down with considerable force, as many times as the teacher deemed to be necessary on the recalcitrant pupil's upturned palms and/or wrists. Ouch! o_O
I'd heard of the Scottish juvenile-chastisement instrument the tawse; but knew nothing about its Lochgelly connection. Thanks for this interesting piece of lore, which I'm sure I will find invaluable some time in the "Settlement Association" game on these Forums.

Folk seem to be having problems with this one which I've set; if things continue thus, I'll put forward a further fresh clue / hint.

Calthrop

Established Member
Folk seem to be having problems with this one which I've set; if things continue thus, I'll put forward a further fresh clue / hint.
Alternative clue, "according" --

George William Russell advised, perhaps, to try a yoga-related riding crop, by his friend Yeats when inebriated: tantric quirt, AE.