• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
Titanic Quarter
Ding ding -- we have a winner. Explanation of my original clue (in the unlikely event of anyone being interested <D): the convention in war, in the old days, of the surrendered or potentially-surrendering losers, pleading with the winners, to be granted "quarter" -- i.e. treatment which was on the side of leniency, rather than harshness. Imagined accordingly: a very kind-hearted victor who acts extremely decently toward the vanquished -- so, giving them a quite titanic degree of "quarter".

Sir Dale: as per the usages and customs of the wars, prithee set the next one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
Ding ding -- we have a winner. Explanation of my original clue (in the unlikely event of anyone being interested <D): the convention in war, in the old days, of the surrendered or potentially-surrendering losers, pleading with the winners, to be granted "quarter" -- i.e. treatment which was on the side of leniency, rather than harshness. Imagined accordingly: a very kind-hearted victor who acts extremely decently toward the vanquished -- so, giving them a quite titanic degree of "quarter".

Sir Dale: as per the usages and customs of the wars, prithee set the next one.
Thank you.

Next clue:

The home of Rodney's classmate?

Calthrop

Established Member
Trying with "something" -- though am pretty sure it's ridiculously wrong. Thinking famous 18th-century naval bods; Admiral George Brydges Rodney (Lord Rodney), and Lord (Horatio) Nelson. By a considerable alternative-history exercise (the former was, factually, forty years the senior of the latter); they might have been classmates at the naval academy -- an extremely small intake that year? Answer-station thus Nelson (Lancashire)...

DaleCooper

Established Member
Trying with "something" -- though am pretty sure it's ridiculously wrong. Thinking famous 18th-century naval bods; Admiral George Brydges Rodney (Lord Rodney), and Lord (Horatio) Nelson. By a considerable alternative-history exercise (the former was, factually, forty years the senior of the latter); they might have been classmates at the naval academy -- an extremely small intake that year? Answer-station thus Nelson (Lancashire)...
Nelson is correct, Rodney and Nelson were the two Nelson class battleships. Your turn...

Calthrop

Established Member
Nelson is correct, Rodney and Nelson were the two Nelson class battleships. Your turn...
Good grief -- as told of, I thought my suggestion was ludicrous (and I know less than nothing about warships). However; following on, with thanks:

In more opulent times: it would have been appropriate for there to be in this station's waiting room, an American-type sofa or couch.

RDP

The first word would suggest Ayr although a DMU shuttle is now running from Prestwick Town..