• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Davros is Back !!! (Doctor Who)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

I'm afraid that looks like a mark 1 new series dalek (the 5'5" version). Which would be about right because the aim was to have daleks about the same size as the primary companion, and the "new dalek paradigm" was an excuse to realign to 5'11" (taller companion). As the current companion is not the tallest, the shorter dalek is more appropriate and it will be easier to write an explanation than the new dalek paradigm.

Tell us what a Dalek Eternal does!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm afraid that looks like a mark 1 new series dalek (the 5'5" version). Which would be about right because the aim was to have daleks about the same size as the primary companion, and the "new dalek paradigm" was an excuse to realign to 5'11" (taller companion). As the current companion is not the tallest, the shorter dalek is more appropriate and it will be easier to write an explanation than the new dalek paradigm.

Eh? There's clearly a silver classic series Dalek in there! Looks like one from the black and white era

Jonny

Established Member
At 0:23 there is something in the bokeh on left screen that could be a silver-classic dalek, but the one in the foreground has the ID marks just below the eyestalk mount that first appeared in the new series (but could well be pre-time war).

More to the point, Missy is back as well and I wonder what psychopathic antics Mr. Moffat has scripted for her this time.

Butts

Veteran Member
At 0:23 there is something in the bokeh on left screen that could be a silver-classic dalek, but the one in the foreground has the ID marks just below the eyestalk mount that first appeared in the new series (but could well be pre-time war).

More to the point, Missy is back as well and I wonder what psychopathic antics Mr. Moffat has scripted for her this time.

Forget Missy....you are missying the point :lol: - Davros is far more important !!

Butts

Veteran Member
Well he finally returned after far to long an absence .........

Quite a good opener I thought.......

Who was the "Big Red" Dalek with the "fancy ironwork" ?

Davros cannot be allowed to die :p

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well he finally returned after far to long an absence .........

Quite a good opener I thought.......

Who was the "Big Red" Dalek with the "fancy ironwork" ?

Davros cannot be allowed to die :p

Big Red was the Supreme who'd previously appeared in one of the big overblown David Tennant Dalek stories.

Even though I knew he was in it, it was still very exciting for the fan in me to hear that little boy say the name right at the start...!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Knew it was Davros, recognised the plant, biplane firing lasers yeah that's Skaro.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Where'd all those new paradigm daleks disappear to?

Two of them can be seen in the back ground of the Dalek parliament and some of them appeared when differing races showed up to seal the Doctor inside the Pandorica.

What I am most puzzled over on the episode last night was why the HADS did not activate. one would have assumed Sexy would figure out that Skaro was not a place to be at and use HADS to get away

Jonny

Established Member
Two of them can be seen in the back ground of the Dalek parliament and some of them appeared when differing races showed up to seal the Doctor inside the Pandorica.

What I am most puzzled over on the episode last night was why the HADS did not activate. one would have assumed Sexy would figure out that Skaro was not a place to be at and use HADS to get away

Or did she (I presume by "Sexy" you mean the TARDIS)? The Daleks certainly tried to destroy her (all firing at once), whether she was destroyed or used a HADS-like emergency shift manoeuvre is another matter (to be revealed later). Besides, her pilot was also on Skaro.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Yes, I did mean the TARDIS... She calls herself that, so its okay to say that

Well we know that she can take independent action of her pilot and passengers - "strays" as she calls them. This is best shown when she locks Clara out of herself and also when HADS starts - not to mention that most navigation is implied to be at the will of the TARDIS herself.

Now we know the TARDIS can not be destroyed, she survived an uncontrolled atmospheric entry with nothing but a slight scorch and a cracked window, but I also wonder why the shield systems did not activate. We know that they are operational because the doors have been opened several times in space, although this could be a separate subsystem. I did wonder if, seeing as the main drive was shown to be in idle mode, if she had been teleported somewhere.

By the way... Watch when the Dalek weapon fires - the right door of the TARDIS appears to be partially open

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I was disapointed. Peter Capaldi is the worst doctor who out of all of them!
The companion is the only one keeping the show afloat and she's leaving.
It's already been announced that they were 2.2million less viewers (1 in 3 gone) compared to last year. It will need Terry Nation style writing in the next season to keep me watching. It's Doctor Who fact that he only had 12 lives, this was said in the original series aswell, so this 13th doctor completely contradicts Doctor Who fact and continuity.

The TARDIS isn't 'sexy' by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnjkerbin

I was disapointed. Peter Capaldi is the worst doctor who out of all of them!
The companion is the only one keeping the show afloat and she's leaving.
It's already been announced that they were 2.2million less viewers (1 in 3 gone) compared to last year. It will need Terry Nation style writing in the next season to keep me watching. It's Doctor Who fact that he only had 12 lives, this was said in the original series aswell, so this 13th doctor completely contradicts Doctor Who fact and continuity.

The TARDIS isn't 'sexy' by the way.

"Peter Capaldi is the worst doctor who out of all of them!"

Well that's your opinion.

"they were 2.2 million less viewers"

Only on the overnights - more people are shifting to On Demand services. It was still the second most watched show of the night, beaten only by the X-Factor which saw a significant drop to about 7 million.

"this 13th doctor completely contradicts Doctor Who fact and continuity"

Umm, no it doesn't. If you want to get technical, in Time of the Doctor, the Time Lords granted the Doctor a new set of regenerations, or would you rather the show have just stopped. :roll:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
In Time of the Doctor, the Time Lords granted the Doctor a new set of regenerations, or would you rather the show have just stopped. :roll:

Which they lampshaded by having 11 say "Regeneration number thirteen - we're breaking some serious science boys" to the Daleks

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I thought it was a great opening episode for the new series. I hope they can keep the quality up, as I was very disappointed with the last one.

I'm still not convinced about Peter Capaldi, but there were definite signs of improvement on Saturday with Moffat writing for him based on what he did last time round rather than guessing what sort of character is going to emerge.

It was great to get Davros back again. And to have Missy in the show. I think I can forgive them constantly cheating death, we need a bit of a suspension disbelief when the premise of the whole series is of a very old man travelling through space and time in a small blue box that's actually huge on the inside!

Butts

Veteran Member
I thought it was a great opening episode for the new series. I hope they can keep the quality up, as I was very disappointed with the last one.

I'm still not convinced about Peter Capaldi, but there were definite signs of improvement on Saturday with Moffat writing for him based on what he did last time round rather than guessing what sort of character is going to emerge.

It was great to get Davros back again. And to have Missy in the show. I think I can forgive them constantly cheating death, we need a bit of a suspension disbelief when the premise of the whole series is of a very old man travelling through space and time in a small blue box that's actually huge on the inside!

I am looking forward to Davros uttering that immortal line to the Dalek's - namely.....

"I am your creator you will obey me"

Mind you Davros has had more comebacks than Frank Sinatra, whatever unfolds his demise is never certain.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is it wrong that i want Peter Capaldi to go all Malcolm Tucker on the Daleks? ;) I do like the Daleks - perhaps the least competent/successful villains in televisual history! PS did i see Simon Pegg credited as a Dalek in the credits to that episode?

Last edited:

jnjkerbin

Which they lampshaded by having 11 say "Regeneration number thirteen - we're breaking some serious science boys" to the Daleks

So? You can go round claiming rainbows are magic - it doesn't mean they're not scientific fact. The Time Lords have granted the Master a new cycle of regenerations in the past. Why not the Doctor?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If Simon Pegg's in it that's the last straw.
I used to like him in his comedies (Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead), but he insulted (with bad language) all the star trek fans after his Star Trek Into Darkness movie was rated as the worst film in the franchise by most fans.
After what he said I decided to boycott the next "Star Trek" film completely.

Who should be the next doctor is something I've been thinking about.
Anyone have ideas?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If Simon Pegg's in it that's the last straw.
I used to like him in his comedies (Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead), but he insulted (with bad language) all the star trek fans after his Star Trek Into Darkness movie was rated as the worst film in the franchise by most fans.
After what he said I decided to boycott the next "Star Trek" film completely.

Who should be the next doctor is something I've been thinking about.
Anyone have ideas?

Simon Pegg?

:lol::lol::lol:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
So? You can go round claiming rainbows are magic - it doesn't mean they're not scientific fact. The Time Lords have granted the Master a new cycle of regenerations in the past. Why not the Doctor?

The Doctor go a whole new set of regenerations when he stayed on Trenzalore

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's fictional. It has no basis in reality. They (writers, producers and script editor) can basically make up whatever they like to explain anything they want to do.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
"this 13th doctor completely contradicts Doctor Who fact and continuity"

Umm, no it doesn't. If you want to get technical, in Time of the Doctor, the Time Lords granted the Doctor a new set of regenerations, or would you rather the show have just stopped. :roll:

You're right that the regenerated Doctor doesn't break continuity. But I'd question whether Missy and Davros being in the show does break continuity. How many times have they both (apparently) died now?

I think that's one of the main problems I have with the way the show has gone the last few years. Yes, I know you could argue that the very fact of time travel and the existence of the TARDIS might go against known science, but allowing for that, I want the fictitious world I'm entering to make some kind of sense, so things like continuity breaks affect my enjoyment of the show a lot. But I seriously get the impression from the last couple of years that the writers have stopped caring about continuity or about things making sense at all (with the one remarkable exception of the 50th anniversary episode - when they were very careful to tie everything up. And in my view that's part of what made that such a great episode). I fear this lack of caring is eventually going to kill the series.

The annoying thing with Missy is that - yes, by herself she is a great character - but they could easily have brought in a character like her, with all the personality traits that she has, but just had her be a new enemy, not made her the Master - then there are no continuity issues. Though I would have ditched the storyline of grabbing the souls of every human who ever lived on Earth when they died - to my mind that was just getting too silly.

BlythPower

For some proper Doctor Who, get tuned in to Horror Channel (Freeview 70, Freesat 138) next Monday (28th). The very first story with William Hartnell is on. Later in the week, there's the first encounter with the Daleks. It's a completely Moffat-free zone - thank God!

cf111

Established Member
How can a show about time travel have continuity?

Anyway, I was very impressed with the new episode and the return of our friend Dave Ross - undoubtedly the finest Who villain. Big fan of Michelle Gomez's Missy too, looking forward to Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.