• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Davros is Back !!! (Doctor Who)

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Must admit I have to disagree here, this to me has been the best series we've seen a while!

My thoughts:

Osgood - Don't like her, hope she's not new companion (I think they've said she won't be).

Ashildr - Maisie Williams can't act for toffee (she was just shoehorned in for Game of Thrones, something that I don't intend to watch and I'll be surprised if any on this forum really watch it), not a very good character at all. Needs to be written out - they could give her a death scene (à la River Song) that's emotional but not too 'important'.

Clara - Has real chemistry with the Doctor, and they make a good on-screen pairing (such as the 'what would you call them?' moment in Sleep No More. Shame to see her go, bad episode concept but death was done amazingly well. Great acting, will really be missed onboard the TARDIS.

Rigsy - Well, if you can't say anything nice...

...though not as bad as Maisie Williams.

Missy - doesn't really work for me. Sorry.

The 12th Doctor - Better than Matt Smith. Really.

Peter Capaldi is legendary. He's brought back the darkness to the Doctor - this man alien has power and is unpredictable - and he's acted extraordinarily well. High points include his anti-war speech in The Zygon Inversion (an episode which wasn't very good because Osgood), his rocking prologue for Before the Flood, and the last couple of episodes. Low points nonexistent - this is one of the best Doctors we've had, and will take some beating.

Episodes - Haven't watched all of them yet. I've seen Last Christmas (creepy!), The Magician's Apprentice, The Witch's Familiar, Before the Flood, The Zygon Inversion, Sleep no More and Face the Raven. All have been great except for some bad characters.

Last series had some good and some bad episodes. Again have only watched some - Deep Breath, Into the Dalek, Robot of Sherwood, Time Heist, The Caretaker, In the Forest of the Night, Dark Water (creepier!) and Death in Heaven. Quite a mixed bunch, my favourite of those was probably 'The Caretaker'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
they could repeat it on Friday & Sunday nights like they used to :(
I too miss the repeats, means I have to chuck anyone else off the TV on Saturday nights since there isn't a second chance later in the week (previous series were repeated at 7pm on BBC 3 on the Sunday if I recall correctly, and sometimes on the Friday as well, but no repeats now).

What's a repeat? Do people still watch tv like in the 1930s? At the very least you'd have it on a pvr even if you weren't using iplayer
No PVR in our place. We can't really record anything now since the Freeview in our DVD recorder died and we now have to use a seperate set-top-box for Freeview. I suppose we could record onto VHS but we wouldn't be able to do that while watching a different channel to the one being recorded. The buffering on iPlayer is unbearable (if I recall correctly we have 1Mbps download speed at best, miles of ropey old copper cable can't manage anything better. I suppose it might be ok if we didn't have contention).

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The buffering on iPlayer is unbearable (if I recall correctly we have 1Mbps download speed at best, miles of ropey old copper cable can't manage anything better. I suppose it might be ok if we didn't have contention).

There's a download option on iplayer (don't know if it's available for Linux or Macs)

cb a1

she was just shoehorned in for Game of Thrones, something that I don't intend to watch and I'll be surprised if any on this forum really watch it).
Surprise ;)

Out of interest, given that you've never watched it, what makes you surprised that at least one other person out of the many members of railforums has?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There's a download option on iplayer
I know you used to be able to download, using a 'for portable devices' link which gave a fairly low-res file which would play in Windows Media Player (had some episodes of Great British Railway Journeys that way). That feature was removed though I think.

Requires installation of BBC's iPlayer application on your computer. Available for Windows and OSX.
That still exists? I had the iPlayerDesktop program on my old laptop before the screen broke, since the files that would play in Windows Media Player are no longer available. For some reason I thought I never installed it on my new laptop, but can't remember why and I've just discovered that it is on my new machine after all. There's a supprise.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
If you are using OSX there is something called Get iPlayer Automator which is pretty decent an user friendly (behind the scenes it is uses get_iplayer but gives a nice UI over it).

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Since the missus cancelled the Sky subscription, I've been downloading Dr Who from iPlayer on my Samsung and it's really good, downloads in just a few minutes and the picture quality is fine

Trainfan344

Established Member
(she was just shoehorned in for Game of Thrones, something that I don't intend to watch and I'll be surprised if any on this forum really watch it), not a very good character at all. Needs to be written out - they could give her a death scene (à la River Song) that's emotional but not too 'important'.

Well you'll be surprised then...

Knowing the range of ages and tastes on here I'd be more surprised if there wasn't at least one person on this forum who watches it!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well you'll be surprised then...

Knowing the range of ages and tastes on here I'd be more surprised if there wasn't at least one person on this forum who watches it!

Yes a rather odd statement indeed! Watched the series and read the books!

gswindale

They just didn't show the time he confessed to eating the presidents' last Rolo, or what he did in the broom cupboard at the timelord christmas party ...

Good ep though, in a series that maybe hasn't been that good, might have to rewatch it though, they could repeat it on Friday & Sunday nights like they used to :(
Friday, BBC 2 at 03:35 apparently.

Not exactly a prime viewing slot; but it is still repeated.

TheNewNo2

Must admit I have to disagree here, this to me has been the best series we've seen a while!

This series has been so mich better than the first Capaldi one. I formed an opinion during that that Capaldi made an excellent Doctor, but that no one knew how to write a decent script for him. Don't get me started on the 2D train or the moon egg or the instant forest no one notices growing....

miami

Established Member
Friday, BBC 2 at 03:35 apparently.

Not exactly a prime viewing slot; but it is still repeated.

03:35? I see them at 01:45 every Thursday night/Friday morning on BBC2 HD following broadcast.

My TV license ran out a couple of days ago, and this thread made me realise that there are only 2 things I currently watch that are broadcast on TV - Have I got news for you, and Doctor Who, neither of which I know the time of broadcast (HIGFY is Friday night and Dcotor Who Saturday night), they just appear on iplayer.

The rest of the stuff I watch is on netflix or DVD, so technically I don't need a license (still renewed it, as morally listening to radio 2, 3 and 4 and reading the website should be funded too)

backontrack

Established Member
I stand corrected :lol:

So, Game of Thrones (Go(a)T :P) fans, what's your opinion of Maisie Williams?

backontrack

Established Member
This series has been so mich better than the first Capaldi one. I formed an opinion during that that Capaldi made an excellent Doctor, but that no one knew how to write a decent script for him. Don't get me started on the 2D train or the moon egg or the instant forest no one notices growing....

I liked that episode! It was nice to have a slightly lighter one for a change, and I liked one of the jokes, "It's that way" from the Doctor.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That episode of Doctor Who was absolutely brilliant. So many loose ends tied up - Capaldi, (spoilers - highlight to see) Coleman, and all others except (highlight) Williams acted brilliantly.

WARNING - THE POST BELOW MINE CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THIS EPISODE OF 'DOCTOR WHO'

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
So, first regeneration between genders and race on screen, Clara keeps on the adventure with Ashildr, Gallifrey seems to have no ruling planetary body now and, in a nice touch, Clara and Ashildr escape in a Type 40 TT as Ashildr mentions about the Chameleon Circuits with an instruction manual.

Brilliant acting from start to finish, great lines, great writing, plot twists at every corner and the Doctor lying which falls into place with Rule 1

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Why are you so fixated on how they look? What about their acting ability? :lol:

I wonder what you'll be saying when we have River Song in the Christmas Special.

Whilst Alex Kingston is a good actress, I think that Little Miss Moffat has an obsession over River and keeps bringing her back time after time... River is dead and we need to make sure that she stays that way on the library planet - and not brought out every blooming season just to get a few more viewers.

andywandy

I personally think the show went downhill since David Tennant, it became a bit childish, and I haven't watched it since. Is it better with Capaldi?

backontrack

Established Member
I personally think the show went downhill since David Tennant, it became a bit childish, and I haven't watched it since. Is it better with Capaldi?

OH YES.

The Matt Smith age I would skip, but I'd watch Day of the Doctor if you still can, and this last series which has been fantastic.

Also, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot can still be viewed on the BBC website and is well worth a gander. It's here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Although in the 'clips' section, it's the whole 30 minute special.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
So, first regeneration between genders and race on screen, Clara keeps on the adventure with Ashildr, Gallifrey seems to have no ruling planetary body now and, in a nice touch, Clara and Ashildr escape in a Type 40 TT as Ashildr mentions about the Chameleon Circuits with an instruction manual.

Brilliant acting from start to finish, great lines, great writing, plot twists at every corner and the Doctor lying which falls into place with Rule 1
So the doctor lied, but I thought the veil was supposed to be able to tell if the doctor was making a genuine confession :rolleyes: As for Clara and Ashildr being able to fly a TARDIS, doesn't fairly ordinary* humans being able to fly it without the doctor telling them what to do destory the whole Bad Wolf thing :roll: As for the instruction manual, that wouldn't be in English would it?

* Yes Ashildr is imortal, but they've consistently made the point that she has an ordinary human brain.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Doesn't the TARDIS have a universal translator?
Translator yes, universal no. I'm thinking in particular of when River Song was showing Amy that she was Melody Pond, the language on the Doctor's cot wouldn't translate, but the Gamma Forest language did. Presumably, the Time Lords don't need the TARDIS to translate their own language.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
It will translate Gallifreyan, but not Old High Gallifreyan which is a skill not all Time Lords have - see "The Five Doctors"

The Doctor has previously said that anybody not Gallifreyan or authorised by himself could be badly injured or killed by the self-defence mechanism. We have seen most companions/assistants all use the controls, but this can be taken as the fact they were authorised by the Doctor. Clara is the only companion/assistant on record that was instructed how to fly the TARDIS but to do so in manual control mode over the objections of the TARDIS herself.

As for Ashildr, she most likely read Gallifreyan and learned it during her long life

krus_aragon

Established Member
As for Ashildr, she most likely read Gallifreyan and learned it during her long life

Assuming it's not one of the many, many things that she learned and subsequently forgot during her long life. Though, come the end of the universe, there may have been little other than Gallifreyan reading material available to her...

Status
Not open for further replies.