• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ILoveLamp

Does anyone know how many junior/depot drivers they have at Warrington and how many are likely to be on shift together? Looks like a small-ish depot but I presume you can move around any parts of the north west hub?
No idea, but I presume some depots only have mainline drivers due to either size of depot (driver does any shunting) or the nature of the depot attending? I could be way off, but obviously only some depots have junior/depot drivers, others go straight to mainline and much higher wage with it.

FlyingVixen

When I did my interview, one of the interviewers mentioned possibly starting in December.

Just in time for my 40th birthday <:D

That’s awesome! Maybe I could be starting with you! Who knows!! :D

I have a question. Obviously being a woman of childbearing age, eventually, I want to have children. Maybe in a couple of years as I’m not getting any younger. Can anyone tell me anything about the maternity leave they offer? I didn’t want to ask this at the interview as I didn’t want that used against me for anything!

Last edited:

Nuttygooner

That’s awesome! Maybe I could be starting with you! Who knows!! :D

I have a question. Obviously being a woman of childbearing age, eventually, I want to have children. Maybe in a couple of years as I’m not getting any younger. Can anyone tell me anything about the maternity leave they offer? I didn’t want to ask this at the interview as I didn’t want that used against me for anything!

Being a woman towards the latter stages of childbearing age, I have never come across this as an issue, and it would be highly illegal for it to have been used against you.

There's no harm in enquiring during onboarding, or upon receiving your contract.

FlyingVixen

Being a woman towards the latter stages of childbearing age, I have never come across this as an issue, and it would be highly illegal for it to have been used against you.

There's no harm in enquiring during onboarding, or upon receiving your contract.
Thank you! From a woman to another woman, I have a private blood test to look at my egg reserve and the result came back today as normal but low. I’m kind of shocked about it and worried about the prospect of having to think about children sooner than planned. I don’t want to ruin my train driving career! :frown:

Nuttygooner

Thank you! From a woman to another woman, I have a private blood test to look at my egg reserve and the result came back today as normal but low. I’m kind of shocked about it and worried about the prospect of having to think about children sooner than planned. I don’t want to ruin my train driving career! :frown:
*Hugs*

They are really keen to get you on board, I honestly doubt they will allow your career to fall by the wayside.

I wonder if anyone that works for DB, that's on the forum can get their feelers out.

FlyingVixen

*Hugs*

They are really keen to get you on board, I honestly doubt they will allow your career to fall by the wayside.

I wonder if anyone that works for DB, that's on the forum can get their feelers out.
Oh gosh I really hope not! I really want to do this. Then again, I don’t want to regret missing my chance at a family and struggling.

I would appreciate anyone who has more info who already works there. It would mean alot.

NorthernTech

I suppose someone who works there currently with a full staff handbook or terms and conditions etc, may have an idea of what you would receive once off on maternity leave. Other than that, I’d imagine, apart from the health & safety that would need to be factored in, you would work and have time off as with any other employer. But I currently have no idea, just guessing.

kmck96

Hi, is there anyone on here currently working out of the Mossend depot able to provide me with the most current information in response to some questions I have below. I’ve recently completed the medical and, assuming all goes well, I’m expecting a start date in the coming months.

Questions I have are as follows:

1) Where does the training take place? It was mentioned in my dmi interview that the classroom portion of training will take place down south somewhere, however they weren’t anymore specific than that.

2) How long is the classroom training? Again, when I asked the question in my DMI I didn’t get an definite answer

3) What is the salary breakdown and the corresponding timescales?

4) What can you tell me about the shift pattern? I recall being told its a 13 week cycle in the link for newly qualified drivers. How many nights are worked into this 13 week cycle? Is there particular pattern to it ie 4 on 4 off or work 5/7 and earn a week off every 5 week?

5) How readily available is overtime? Is there an enhanced rate for over time? If so, what?

6) Are permanent swaps available? i.e. to do perm earlies or perm lates?

7) What is the current pension? And what is the breakdown of pension contributions?

8) What is the holiday entitlement? Is it allocated at the beginning of the year?

Would be massively appreciated if anyone can provide answers. Thanks

NorthernTech

I’d imagine you wont be waiting all that long if you have been sent for medical. As for training I believe it’s either Didcot or Toton. Usually 3 months classroom and then time with your driver instructor to complete training depending whether you are a junior/depot driver or straight to mainline. Likely a year for all training. I can’t really answer any more than that.

God

Thanks guys!! So happy you wouldn’t believe it! Apparently the guy that interviewed was gutted he couldn’t have me for Peak Forrest as I applied for Warrington! They said my interview was amazing! Made my day!
Well done. Was it Andrew who interviewed you. Just wondered with you saying gutted he couldn't have you at Peak. I've just started my train handling hours at Peak. Andrew is a great guy and the depot is lovely. I originally applied for Junior Driver as advertised at Peak but on interview told mainline. Warrington is a good depot with a variety of traction

FlyingVixen

Well done. Was it Andrew who interviewed you. Just wondered with you saying gutted he couldn't have you at Peak. I've just started my train handling hours at Peak. Andrew is a great guy and the depot is lovely. I originally applied for Junior Driver as advertised at Peak but on interview told mainline. Warrington is a good depot with a variety of traction
Thank you! Yeah it was him. He seems a great guy! E-mailed him last week in regards to maybe being able to go to Peak so we will see how that goes. Either is fine with me. It’s nice to know that both are good! I hope your training is going well! :D

God

Hi, is there anyone on here currently working out of the Mossend depot able to provide me with the most current information in response to some questions I have below. I’ve recently completed the medical and, assuming all goes well, I’m expecting a start date in the coming months.

1) Where does the training take place? It was mentioned in my dmi interview that the classroom portion of training will take place down south somewhere, however they weren’t anymore specific than that.

2) How long is the classroom training? Again, when I asked the question in my DMI I didn’t get an definite answer

4) What can you tell me about the shift pattern? I recall being told its a 13 week cycle in the link for newly qualified drivers. How many nights are worked into this 13 week cycle? Is there particular pattern to it ie 4 on 4 off or work 5/7 and earn a week off every 5 week?

5) How readily available is overtime? Is there an enhanced rate for over time? If so, what?

7) What is the current pension? And what is the breakdown of pension contributions?

8) What is the holiday entitlement? Is it allocated at the beginning of the year?

Would be massively appreciated if anyone can provide answers.

Thank you! Yeah it was him. He seems a great guy! E-mailed him last week in regards to maybe being able to go to Peak so we will see how that goes. Either is fine with me. It’s nice to know that both are good! I hope your training is going well! :D
He is ace Andrew proper nice guy. I'm sure he will sort it if he can. Yeah going really well last night was second shift of practical driving, back in at 0238 in the morning

1867Blue

Would be massively appreciated if anyone can provide answers. Thanks
Hi,

Training is normally at either Toton in nottingham, or didcot in Oxford. Accommodation and evening meal is paid for, and you can claim your lunch back up to £5 per day, plus fuel expenses is claimed back via mileage.

Classroom training is 10 weeks with a 1 week home hub visit about 3 weeks in. Normally consists of corporate induction and pts week one. Shunting appreciation week 2. Home hub visit week 3. Traction week 4 and 5. 25a driver only prep week 6 and 7. Then 3 weeks of rules. This can differ slightly, and they have trialled longer and shorter courses as well.

If you’re going in as a junior driver it’s about 31.5k. If you’re mainline you start on junior salary until you have completed classroom training, handling hours, passes all exams and route learning, then you go up to driver salary after you sign your first turn.

13 week rota normally consists of a week of rest a week of AL then a mixture of early days lates and nights this will be depot specific.

5 and 6 I can’t answer as I don’t know.

Pension is 3 5 or 7% if I remember rightly. If you put in 7% the company puts in 10%. I’m not too clued up on this so someone may be able to help out more.

AL is 1 week every 13 weeks but this can be swapped plus 13 floating days.

Hope this helps. Drop me a DM if you want any more info.

kmck96

Cant seem to DM you but many thanks for the info - helps a lot.

I'll be going as a mainline driver. What is the current fully qualified ML salary?

NorthernTech

I'll be going as a mainline driver. What is the current fully qualified ML salary?
You can’t dm until you’ve sent a few more messages. Where you gonna be based, Mossend?

1867Blue

I don’t actually know salary for qualified driver. Think it’s roughly 54000. I’m sure someone on here can give you a more accurate figure.

trevzx6

£55,525 is the basic salary with some hubs receiving travel allowance for booking on at multiple locations. 1472 annual hours contract which equates to a 30.66 hour week

FlyingVixen

Does anyone know any DB drivers that work for Peak Forest at all? Wondering what the hours are like?

Shunted

£55,525 is the basic salary with some hubs receiving travel allowance for booking on at multiple locations. 1472 annual hours contract which equates to a 30.66 hour week
Is that before or after the 4.5% payrise DB agreed to earlier in the year?