• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loco94

I’m a driver with DB, and I successfully got a hub transfer mid classroom training to my local one, however I was in the talent pool for both locations but the one I was put at was taking me a lot longer to travel to than what google maps originally said due to heavy congestion at peak times, luckily after an email to HR I successfully got a move which was a massive weight off, it’s apparently a lot easier for them to do this whilst you’re not productive than if you was… providing they can facilitate the move I.e a vacancy available, hope this helps

ThePeakNed

I’m a driver with DB, and I successfully got a hub transfer mid classroom training to my local one, however I was in the talent pool for both locations but the one I was put at was taking me a lot longer to travel to than what google maps originally said due to heavy congestion at peak times, luckily after an email to HR I successfully got a move which was a massive weight off, it’s apparently a lot easier for them to do this whilst you’re not productive than if you was… providing they can facilitate the move I.e a vacancy available, hope this helps
I did have a sneaky feeling that it would be easier to do sooner rather than lately, I’m just getting nowhere whenever I email.

I don’t even mind sitting in the talent pool for Bescot longer than I possibly would for Warrington, I’d just like to know that it can be done.

We’ll see what happens. I’m on the clock with my psychometrics, applying for TOCs near me is almost guaranteed to mean me having to redo them.

NorthernTech

I did have a sneaky feeling that it would be easier to do sooner rather than lately, I’m just getting nowhere whenever I email.

I don’t even mind sitting in the talent pool for Bescot longer than I possibly would for Warrington, I’d just like to know that it can be done.

We’ll see what happens. I’m on the clock with my psychometrics, applying for TOCs near me is almost guaranteed to mean me having to redo them.
I think if you are in a talent pool for DB then you don’t need to worry about your psychometric tests running out for this application (I think, but not 100%) so if you need to apply elsewhere and redo your tests you should be fine. Freight operators gain and lose contracts which obviously affect the number of drivers required and why you are likely to not hear anything back until such a time they are sure they need you to start. It’s frustrating being in a talent pool, I was in one for a short while and you’ve no idea of how long you’ll be there until that email for a medical drops. You might wait weeks, months or years..

I’d not get too hung up on them not replying to emails, most train operators seem to behave this way, they only contact you when it suits them. I think this is mainly due to it being one HR person dealing with the majority of the applicants so therefore don’t have time to reply to every little email unless it’s important, in my experience. It’s hard to be patient but you need to try as, if you are sat in a talent pool, someone thinks you are fit for the job and for the company, and therefore something should line up eventually..

Last edited:

SuperS16v

The lack of communication is very frustrating, but there’s not much you can do. I had to go through the same when I joined the police, it took me a year and 6 months to get in and I’m now going through exactly same thing. Just gotta stick with it!

ThePeakNed

I think if you are in a talent pool for DB then you don’t need to worry about your psychometric tests running out for this application (I think, but not 100%) so if you need to apply elsewhere and redo your tests you should be fine. Freight operators gain and lose contracts which obviously affect the number of drivers required and why you are likely to not hear anything back until such a time they are sure they need you to start. It’s frustrating being in a talent pool, I was in one for a short while and you’ve no idea of how long you’ll be there until that email for a medical drops. You might wait weeks, months or years..

I’d not get too hung up on them not replying to emails, most train operators seem to behave this way, they only contact you when it suits them. I think this is mainly due to it being one HR person dealing with the majority of the applicants so therefore don’t have time to reply to every little email unless it’s important, in my experience. It’s hard to be patient but you need to try as, if you are sat in a talent pool, someone thinks you are fit for the job and for the company, and therefore something should line up eventually..
I’m no stranger to that, my current employer (one of the passenger companies) is similar.

Medical wise, I’ve already had that, which I was a bit confused about as surely they expire after, what, 6 months?

Loco94

I had my medical November 2021 and only got offered a start date in March 2022 to start in April 2022 so don’t worry too much mate

Eebbs1912

I’m no stranger to that, my current employer (one of the passenger companies) is similar.

Medical wise, I’ve already had that, which I was a bit confused about as surely they expire after, what, 6 months?
Medicals are valid for 3 years my last one was 2022 and my next is 2025 or something. 6 month of there a condition to it

1867Blue

I was offered my medical after about a month of being in the talent pool in June, and I didn’t start until January of the following year. That was the longest wait of my life. Checking my emails every ten seconds. Then when I was on holiday I unexpectedly got an email saying I had a pencilled on start date and an order form for my uniform. The month wait after that to finally get my contract through was an even longer wait.

I am now a qualified train driver and absolutely loving every second. Though driving in the heavy snow this week was a bit squeaky bum time.

r8k

Hi all. Does anyone know what the pay scale is with dB cargo from first starting as a trainee to qualified
Thanks

SuperS16v

Has anyone done their psychometric testing recently? I've got mine coming up and any info would be appreciated. :D

There is a goldmine of info on these forums mate. If you use the search bar you should be able to find all the info you need.

What depot you applied to?

NorthernTech

Has anyone done their psychometric testing recently? I've got mine coming up and any info would be appreciated. :D
Db usually do the testing all in one day, paper tests, then computer tests, then MMI should you pass everything until that point. Just so you know as many operators split it into 2 separate days.

Trainstop1

Hi all,

I applied for a junior driver role way back in September and haven't heard anything since. I've logged onto the portal and my application has gone too. Does anyone know if it is automatically removed after 6 months of no activity?

SuperS16v

Hi all,

I applied for a junior driver role way back in September and haven't heard anything since. I've logged onto the portal and my application has gone too. Does anyone know if it is automatically removed after 6 months of no activity?

Yeah this happened to me too but they said my application is still in progress.

ThePeakNed

Hi all,

Your account gets deleted after a certain amount of time due to GDPR rules.

Sign up again and email them just to confirm you’re still interested. They’ll have you on file.

Trainstop1

Your account gets deleted after a certain amount of time due to GDPR rules.

Sign up again and email them just to confirm you’re still interested. They’ll have you on file.
I'm still able to log into my account though?

I don't suppose you have a contact email to hand at all do you?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

Worth giving them a call too. I did this and soon after received correspondence, although not the sort of correspondence I wanted (they said recruitment had been frozen), it could just have easily been that they had good news, but didn’t yet have a course or something.

They kept me on file and asked if I’d be interested in Groundstaff positions (I said I would be) and was randomly sent an assessment date a few months/a year or so later. I didn’t go in the end as I was offered my Trainee Driver job for GWR and was halfway through training, but it goes to show that when companies say they’ll keep you on file, some actually do.

jacey

Worth giving them a call too. I did this and soon after received correspondence, although not the sort of correspondence I wanted (they said recruitment had been frozen), it could just have easily been that they had good news, but didn’t yet have a course or something.

They kept me on file and asked if I’d be interested in Groundstaff positions (I said I would be) and was randomly sent an assessment date a few months/a year or so later. I didn’t go in the end as I was offered my Trainee Driver job for GWR and was halfway through training, but it goes to show that when companies say they’ll keep you on file, some actually do.
Very True SWR just got back to me about a Trainee driver role from 2020 and did say they would be in touch when the time is right so they do defo keep you on file.

Trainstop1

Thanks for the info!

I emailed yesterday and they've replied today asking for my NI number. Hopefully this might have got the ball rolling!

I've been in talent pool since November I had a medical back in December so presumed thing were moving along.

It's a frustrating wait but I know it falls down to needs of the depot. Trying to be patient is hard.

I seen someone say they're checking emails constantly I've done that so much that I ended up turning off notifications as I was driving myself mad and I only allow myself to check in once or twice a day. I'm now just hoping it comes one day when I least expect it.

Spincity

No. Being in a talent pool does not extend the validity of the test. The tests need to be in date to start training. Being in a talent pool means that the person can be put onto a course not cannot remain indefinitely waiting. Also if you redo tests for another TOC the tests will over write current scores, so potentially you’re in a talent pool, go to another TOC that needs a enhanced scores, resit part/all of the test, these become your new results. If the test scores are below the current TOCs standards you’re out of the talent pool, have lost a life and will need to wait at least 6 months to resit. Be very careful about the impact of retesting and potential job offers

Yes! I had this recently with avanti. I have passed to enhanced but they use some different tests and it was too much of a grey area to take the risk with. I was told by DB that they take valid tests for up to 5 years
No. Being in a talent pool does not extend the validity of the test. The tests need to be in date to start training. Being in a talent pool means that the person can be put onto a course not cannot remain indefinitely waiting. Also if you redo tests for another TOC the tests will over write current scores, so potentially you’re in a talent pool, go to another TOC that needs a enhanced scores, resit part/all of the test, these become your new results. If the test scores are below the current TOCs standards you’re out of the talent pool, have lost a life and will need to wait at least 6 months to resit. Be very careful about the impact of retesting and potential job offers

Spincity

Yes! I had this recently with avanti. I have passed to enhanced but they use some different tests and it was too much of a grey area to take the risk with. I was told by DB that they take valid tests for up to 5 years
Also there is not a single enhanced standard, so passing to one TOCs isn’t going to result in pass for another TOCs. Worth noting that Avanti use CBI, so if won’t except a MMI, if you failed the CBI, it will invalidate the MMI.

UnknownG

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone can help as im not getting much out of HR as they are very busy i can imagine. Im staring my course in didcot next month and havent got any answers to following:

Contract, pay, notice periods, holidays etc.

Is there anything I need to bring with me on the first day?

Is there a chance to exchange uniform if I find the ones I have ordered to not fit?

what time the course starts and finishes each day?

TIA

Loco94

I trained at didcot, I only got my contract and new starter details not long before I started, a pain isn’t it, uniform wise when I was there they had a box with some spares in, particularly trousers as guys tend to underestimate their waist sizes if you still need to exchange something they’ll sort something, we’d go to hotel on the Sunday, train Monday to Friday roughly school sort of times, 9-3/8-2 etc with an early finish on the Friday around lunchtime to allow for getting home, I’d take some stationary pens/pencils/rubbers/highlighters etc, pay is four weekly usually on a Friday so 13 pay days a year, you can claim expenses whilst at training school for mileage was 40p a mile when I was there or they’ll give you train tickets paid for, you can claim for your lunch £5 daily with a receipt get evening meal paid for upto £25 these may have gone up since last year, taxis from station to hotel etc, pretty sure you can’t take any holidays during classroom training or leave apart from in exceptional circumstances, you usually get a full week annual leave every 13 weeks with a full week rest days to follow, plus I think just short of two weeks in floating days and floating free from work days, plus obvs your normal rest days as each week goes by

Last edited:

UnknownG

I trained at didcot, I only got my contract and new starter details not long before I started, a pain isn’t it, uniform wise when I was there they had a box with some spares in, particularly trousers as guys tend to underestimate their waist sizes if you still need to exchange something they’ll sort something, we’d go to hotel on the Sunday, train Monday to Friday roughly school sort of times, 9-3/8-2 etc with an early finish on the Friday around lunchtime to allow for getting home, I’d take some stationary pens/pencils/rubbers/highlighters etc, pay is four weekly usually on a Friday so 13 pay days a year, you can claim expenses whilst at training school for mileage was 40p a mile when I was there or they’ll give you train tickets paid for, you can claim for your lunch £5 daily with a receipt get evening meal paid for upto £25 these may have gone up since last year, taxis from station to hotel etc, pretty sure you can’t take any holidays during classroom training or leave apart from in exceptional circumstances, you usually get a full week annual leave every 13 weeks with a full week rest days to follow, plus I think just short of two weeks in floating days and floating free from work days, plus obvs your normal rest days as each week goes by
Thanks i feel better with that info under my belt.